Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

grooming jobs in europe

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I am a snowgroomer operator from Canada with over 20 seasons of experience in Canada, New Zealand, Japan and the U.S.. I am headed to England this spring with the idea of getting into the European ski industry. Does anybody know how to get a grooming job in Europe, all the websites I have found are for instructor and chalet/bar staff recruitment. I have a european passport so visas aren't an issue.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
canucklehead, welcome to snowHeads.

Do you speak French?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A little bit of french, doing this now so that I can kind of plan ahead and try to learn the language I might need.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
canucklehead, England may not be the best location as there's very little actual skiing in England! Suggest trying individual resprt websites to start with, but there's this link:

http://www.compagniedesalpes.com/fr/contact_rh.htm

the "Compagnie des Alpes" is an umbrella organisaton copvering several of the larger French Alpine resorts. they may be able to help.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks, just heading to England to get organised, think its a lot easier to line something up from there than the west coast of canada.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
canucklehead, Welcome to SHs. You could also try the equipment manufacturers? I.e. http://www.pistenbully.de/index.php?id=429&L=2 It's also a great site if you want to buy your own.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
canucklehead, Welcome. You can try www.2alpes.com - that's our local lift company, but you would have to speak French.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can you build parks? I'd say that there's still a bit market for cat drivers who can build N American style parks in Europe. Just an observation but unique experience you might be able to use to sell yourself into jobs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have experience in just about every aspect of grooming, primarily winch cats lately, but built the first Snowboarder Magazine Superpark at Big White and have just taken over grinding the Sun Valley superpipe.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

built the first Snowboarder Magazine Superpark at Big White and have just taken over grinding the Sun Valley superpipe.

Cool Cool Got any pictures?

While you're in the UK, I don't suppose there's a chance u could build something similar on Hampstead Heath is there?

Thought not Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As an aside there are English and Norwegian lads amongst the groomers in Portes du Soliel and yes they speak french too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
provide the snow and I will Madeye-Smiley . Are there any groomers out there I can get a hold of?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.avoriazski.com/

www.morzine.com

www.portesdusoleil.com

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/fr/index.html

PS, when I suggested the manufacturers, I only did so to suggest that they may know how you can best network for a job! Just in case you thought I was mad...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
that's cool, I was just busy counting my euros to see if I could afford a new 600. I found I'm a little short though Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
you can normally find them in Mitchells around 3.30pm in Champery, do de do, unless one of their employers is reading this and I cant remember who they were looking for.............. Smile but the guy canucklehead, with the crap hockey team is looking for a job - no with a name like that he is canadian not swiss Wink

One other thing is that Europeans need work permits in Switzerland
ski holidays
not sure I can deal with the swiss right now Blush Shocked Sad hockey whats hockey
ski holidays
oh, knew about swiss not in eu, but how hard are the work permits to get?
latest report
You can work for 3 months without a permit under the new legislation, you can get a seasonal employment permit unless you get a job that will employ you out of season, typically you get an L permit, then B then C or at least, I started on an L and then got the B, 2 more years for the C.

If you for example lived in France and work for a Swiss employer you then get a G permit......
latest report
obelix67, that's perfectly clear.

canucklehead, I want a 600 myself and I don't (yet) live anywhere near a mountain. When you get a job, can I trade you a bottle of Dole for a lift in your cab?

Morzine have a hockey team that were French Champions a few times. For a long time they had a Canadian coach, really nice guy.
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
canucklehead, Welcome to SHs. You could also try the equipment manufacturers? I.e. http://www.pistenbully.de/index.php?id=429&L=2 It's also a great site if you want to buy your own.

They are certain to be the next craze after the SUV trend wears off.
snow conditions
Lausanne have a canadian coach as do Geneva - Lausanne have the worst defensive style I have seen outside little league - breaking before making checks - sigh
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:

canucklehead, I want a 600 myself and I don't (yet) live anywhere near a mountain. When you get a job, can I trade you a bottle of Dole for a lift in your cab?

The 600 is nice, I got a ride in one in Tignes at the start of the season.
snow conditions
we haven't seen any 600's over here yet, look decent on their website though. Isn't usually a problem giving rides here, we groomers are generally very bribable wink
latest report
canucklehead, they look awesome on the web site. But then, I'm a sucker for a decent set of hydraulics. Consider yourself bribed in advance.
ski holidays
alright, now I just have to get access to a machine over there
snow report
snowHead
snow conditions
hiya canucklehead, welcome to snowHeads.
I am the resident crazy 15 year old goth type, and I'm NUTS about piste groomers, watch em all night at the resorts and I really wanna drive one.
But how the hell would an English girl who can't drive yet and has not much money get into piste grooming? How did you get into it?
frm Julia snowHead
p.s. I'm surprised none of the snowHead's mentioned my love for the awesome machines!
snow report
I started as a liftie and sarted to ride occassionally. Just really needed to express interest and some sort of comittment. They are quite easy to drive, just a steering wheel, throttle and forward-reverse switch or on some machines you have sticks instead of the wheel and direction switch. Learning how to work the blade and tiller, and understanding the many snow conditions is what is challenging. I'm still learning and will continue to learn as long as i do it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
canucklehead, cool thanx, will hang around wink in the resorts if I ever get out to the snow, lol
ski holidays
Quote:

cat drivers who can build N American style parks in Europe.

how do parks in europe differ?
ski holidays
What's up canucklehead. I too am a snowcat driver. I was wondering how you went about getting a job to groom in Japan?
latest report
@Snowpilot, excellent thread resurrection.....@canucklehead posted in February 2006. He might still be around

Welcome to snowHeads
snow report
Hey @Snowpilot, If you are interested in driving Cat skiing and maybe learning to guide in Japan I might be able to help, might have some grooming contacts also.
snow conditions
There are now a half dozen or so PB 600s in Scotland plus 3 with winches.

There are even two full size piste groomers in England though they havent had many piste hours on the clock There are also a number used by mountain rescue and for agricultural purposes.

If you go and ask at the piste patrol in val disere they may well allow you out with their drivers. A friend used to do that and even drive with them for free.
snow conditions
Hi, @Idris Very Happy . Thank you for responding. I am very interested in driving cat skiing and learning to guide in Japan. That would be amazing. What do I need to do to get started?
snow conditions
@Idris, Thanks for the response man, I would much appreciate an opportunity to drive cats for cat skiing in Japan. That would be rad. What do I need to do to get started?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy