Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry nights and loathing on the train to BSM

Poster: A snowHead
There is something of a dichotomy at the heart of transit locations. The cheerfully bright cafes and stalls attempting to separate traveller from their cash nestled in carefully partitioned bunkers of concrete and stainless steelstainless as austere as any fortification. The way the afluence of those travelling contrasts with the near invisible cleaning staff whose grey uniforms seem specially chosen to match the concrete. And the way excitement of the journey clashes head-on with crushing boredom.clashe of waiting. Yes, once again I do battle with the Snowtrain, my implacable foe, yet my enabler. My gateway to the mountains, yet, my Nemesis...

This year, the journey holds new fears and cruelties. We take the Night Train to Bourg St Maurice from London. I write to you from St Pancras station, nestled between concrete and glass buttresses in a happly twee cafe soothing nerves jangled with hauling 2 boys and a overfull snowboard beneth the unsuspecting capital. Tickets safely stowed bear forebodeing words though... No Alcohol... yes, this night train will be a dry train.

Oh...
The humanity...

Two hours until our train. I wait, pensive. Strange sould abound and I note we are attracting odd looks from the nature of our baggage and our attire. No signs yet of the likeminded who seek their pleasures at altitude. Without our herd we may be vulnerable. I seek solace in cake and try not to think too hard about what may be ahead.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to shop. Buy vodka and mineral water. Discard water and decant vodka into empty bottle.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need a Baby Flask.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@telford_mike, one does not so easily sneak booze aboard the Night Train - sealed containers only.

Confusion reigns. A brief soujourn arou d the corner from the Bunker cafe reveals a prodigious queue twice the length of the concourse which prompts quick action. A rapid flight to the end and we discover that the sudden change in state from calm to frenetic movement is unwarranted as the queue of queues is actually for the flat loamlands of Paris. We do however uncover likeminded souls are also waiting for the BSM train and we circle the waggons. Now we once again play The Waiting Game.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You've been on the Night Train before, yet you go again. Maschoist.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, Some very nice use of words there in your posts. Very Happy Have you ever thought of being an author? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Standing outside perfume boutique i wonder about the ABV of abottle of Chanel #5
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Richard_Sideways, we'll see what sort of zombied husks of humanity will greet us tomorrow morning in Les Brev!

The answer, as always, is get a Skoda estate & a roof box Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jd_evans, the answer is travel anyway you like, except the Night Train. For train travelling, TGV during the day is very pleasant, providing that the French are not on strike, of course.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Standing outside perfume boutique i wonder about the ABV of abottle of Chanel #5

Well, it may have a decent floral bouquet but the finish leaves a little to be desired Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A dry train? Do they not want any customers?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2hrs until train? Hit the champagne bar Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richard_Sideways, reading your first post, I felt ones self contemplating weather there will be a second instalment to your journal?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
En reposte. I survive the queuing process but my crisps may have taken critical damage. Alas poor maple bacon flavour, i barely knew thee.

We leave. As blue/grey hues consume these early spring skies over the capital we take up traction. The children decide that a game of rummikub will occupy the first stint of the journey. I have front loaded a beer, 2 gin and tonics and a pint of lager as fortification for the trip during the queuing process. No wonder that the British are regarded as the queue masters of the world.

We act as mere observers though as a schism breaks out opposite our dominion. A double booking has occurrd and intense negotiations akin to the Paris peace accords are drawn up... Let us hope the arrival at Ashford does not result in an upset of the status quo...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Richard_Sideways, sweet dreams 😂😂
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, lovely G&T then bottle of wine, now tucked up in lovely big bed.

Enjoy the train Toofy Grin
snow report
An unscheduled hour-long stop to deal with a medical emergency. Obviously the deprivation of the dry train became too much for some poor souls constitution and they succumbed to some malady requiring the medicinal restorative powers of sweet liquor. The journey now finds us somewhere east of Lille, with the carriage lapsing into a gentle torpa as midnight approaches.
latest report
Sleep soundly as the train rolls through France!

Even without the sleep, I still think I'd rather drive.
snow report
Our train skulks through Dijon like its up to no good. Our carriage is strewn with sleeping bodies stretched out seeking some semblance of a prone position and the detritus of courtesy blankets and inflatable pillows. The children have taken up residence under the tables or built fortresses between seats and surrendered to sleep, if fitfully.
latest report

snow report
@Richard_Sideways, loving your work. Very Happy
Hope you have a great holiday(despite the travel woes). But remember it could be worse - at least you're not on an overnight bus.
latest report
Love it
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, are the seats those hard plastic ones that they have introduced to the Eurostars to Paris? Because they are barely tolerable for two and a half hours let alone an overnight trip. They used to have softish material seats which were okay even if they were getting a bit scruffy.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, have toyed with the use of the train.... you are selling it so well. Cost wise what doe it work out for family of 4?
latest report
Sleeper train without beds?
snow report
and you pay for this??
ski holidays
Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

at least you're not on an overnight bus

Second that - I just had a text from eldest daughter @AnnaJ to say that they are only just at Lyon - they left Marlborough at 5.30 yesterday afternoon and were due to take a ferry at around 10.30. Shocked

2 coachloads of teenagers... I feel for the teachers!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@NickyJ, think very carefully- it’ll be the longest night of your life👎🏻👎🏻
snow report
RUGBY PETER wrote:
@NickyJ, think very carefully- it’ll be the longest night of your life👎🏻👎🏻

+1.
ski holidays
Doorstep (Whitby) to doorstep (Tignes les Brev) cost me ~£340 on the train vs ~£360 flying , the train is uncomfortable & nigh impossible to sleep on but you do get 2 extra days skiing
snow report
I've never tried the tain that requires a change in Paris, I've had to get fro KC to Victoria by tube with ski gear once, never again!!!!!!
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@telford_mike, one does not so easily sneak booze aboard the Night Train - sealed containers only.

Buy two identical bottles of mineral water. Remove lid from one, empty and remove 'security ring' from around neck and fill to normal level with vodka. Leaving the lid etc screwed on, cut the other bottle in half. Heat up a saucepan of water to close to boiling point. Immerse cap plus about an inch of the neck of cut bottle in hot water for a minute or so. Remove from water and cap and security ring can then be removed intact. While still hot, screw onto bottle containing vodka.

You now have a sealed water bottle full of vodka.
latest report
Is no one here at all worried?
That train gets in at about 7am.
Last post from our intrepid traveller was 00:54.
Then nothing. Zilch.
What happened Puzzled
ski holidays
@Jonpim, not in the slightest as saw a photo at around 7am ish appear on Facebook from Always29, so all good Happy
ski holidays
Thank you @NickyJ, I'll tell Special Branch to stand down Toofy Grin
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
Is no one here at all worried?
That train gets in at about 7am.
Last post from our intrepid traveller was 00:54.
Then nothing. Zilch.
What happened Puzzled

He's asleep.
I've been a fan of the overnight train for a while, especially now alcohol has been banned. No more lads groups being rowdy or just laughing and talking loudly into the small hours. I manage to sleep ok. I doze off somewhere between Lille and Paris, have an uncanny knack of waking briefly as the train passes through Dijon, then the next time I look out the window it's usually just coming into Chamberey. The chairs in Std Premier recline sufficiently, and they do serve wine with the evening meal. Cool NehNeh
snow conditions
@Jonpim, went skiing, finished early and now probably in bed vowing ‘never again’!
ski holidays
@sequoiaborg, you missed out the bit where you cut the teeth off the security ring with a craft knife. You can then screw the intact cap on and off as many times as you like and it becomes a refillable sealed bottle.

It's how I used to smuggle booze into Kuwait when I lived there. 😉
ski holidays
We vowed no more ski train after a family from Jeremy Kyle were next to us there and back (ironically, en route to Tignes too!)

They were so awful that two years later a woman stopped me at the Snow Centre three years later and said "hey, weren't you that poor family stuck next to those awful people on the snow train that time? We still talk about it even now, nobody can believe they were truly that awful!" and we spent a good amount of time reminiscing..

That said, I've also had a fairly mundane experience before too!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy