Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canadian resorts out of Calgary on the same pass???

Poster: A snowHead
The knobheads/muppets are planning a Canadian road trip next season, somebody, somewhere, mentioned that a number of resorts are owned by the same company and one season pass covered a number of resorts, any truth in this? Does anyone know which, if any, resorts are covered on the same pass? I've tried looking online but can't find any definite answers.

My trip to Silverstar last year showed the ridiculous price of day tickets and an earlybird season pass was the same price as a 9 day pass in resort. Day tickets in Kicking horse were ~$100!

We would plan to fly into Calgary and go from there, spending 2-3 days in each area ~14 days total.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tangowaggon,

An RCR Pass (Resorts of the Canadian Rockies) may be of interest to you. However, it may be available only as a season pass - but covering Fernie, Kicking Horse, Nakiska & Kimberley.

There's also the Max Pass that covers 40+ resorts in
Canada & the USA, so that may be worth a look.

But why the shock at a $100 (KH) lift pass price? At current (Mastercard) exchange rates that's only a couple of quid more than the price of a 3 Valleys day ticket...

We went to Fernie and Kimberley (2 days in each) last month and got discount lift passes 8-10% saving) via Liftopia. We paid $95 per day at Fernie and a lot less ($60-odd I think) at Kimberley.

We also did 2 days cat skiing with Fernie Wilderness Adventures, which was fantastic! Not cheap (but much cheaper than heli) - at $500 per day - but worth every penny. I can't recommend them highly enough. 2 days of untracked powder turns, 2 guides & 12 skiers! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tangowaggon, Depending where you go, and for how long the Lake Louise Card may be of use. We bought it last year for our road trip, and it worked well. 1st, 4th and 7th day free, with $20 off other days IIRC. Can be used at a number of resorts.

Usually your accommodation can also supply discounted tickets.

Will be doing something similar again in 2020, hopefully Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Resorts of the Canadian rockies pass covers unlimited skiing at fernie, kicking horse, kimberley, and nakiska. Not cheap though - was about $1300cad at the early bird cost this season just gone.

Mountain collective gets you 2 free days at each of revelstoke, lake Louise, sunshine village. Plus if you book it early enough you get a bonus free 3rd day at a resort of your choice. After free days are used up at a resort you get 50% off lift tickets for additional days. Cost is $409usd.

Ikon base pass gets you 5 days between sunshine and lake Louise and 5 days at revelstoke for $600usd. Ikon full pass gets you 7 days between sunshine and lake Louise and 7 days at revelstoke for $900.

I think max pass is no longer a thing due to ikon pass.

Or you could look into a season pass at a single resort. There are some good deals, for example red mountain season pass is about £420 at the min (granted its a long drive from Calgary).

If you tour Rodgers pass is also well worth visiting and far cheaper as no lift tickets!

While cost is obviously a factor you should consider what kind of terrain and resorts you want to ski too as the above places are very different. For example if you are intermediates and like groomed runs kicking horse is a terrible choice, but Kimberley would be fantastic.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What he/she said. But I just did this (driving Calgary to Vancouver) and I simply sucked up the price of the tickets. Well except Whistler where I'm connected.

I'm sure you could save a few dollars on the headline price, but that would reduce your flexibility. $105 is the ***cheapie*** price for tickets (Revy, Golden), with Whistler about $150 headline. But Whistler hotels are $400 a night, where as you can stay in Revy for $80. And your car parking is free outside the tourist resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boarder2020 wrote:

While cost is obviously a factor you should consider what kind of terrain and resorts you want to ski too as the above places are very different. For example if you are intermediates and like groomed runs kicking horse is a terrible choice, but Kimberley would be fantastic.

We're all advanced / expert, if we just wanted groomers, there would be little point in going all the way to Canada Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I spent 2 days in KH and loved it!!! A refreshing change to the groomed to death, boring pistes served up in Italy that I had been skiing for the past couple of years.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tangowaggon,

Given your skiing abilities, HAVE A LOOK AT CAT SKIING! You won't regret it! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
We're all advanced / expert, if we just wanted groomers, there would be little point in going all the way to Canada

Completely agree, but plenty do.

If you want advanced skiing kicking horse, Rogers pass, revelstoke would be an ideal combination. Although there's no pass that covers both kh and revy so not the cheapest.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for cat skiing with FWA at Fernie given you're advanced or expert. I'd do a couple of days at Fernie as a warmup first though. After that hit KH for a couple of days, could throw in a days heli here if you feel flush then scoot over to Revelstoke. Wish I was going with you...carry your bags sir? We normally finish off in Banff for the last 2 or 3 days but when we go again I think we'll miss this out and just use it as a night stopover.

Dont forget if you're cat or heli skiing you dont need a lift pass for that day, obvious really but its a mistake I've made!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fernie has some great advanced terrain but it was hardly open this season. Polar peak lift didn't even open till Feb 19th. Since then the steeps off it have hardly been open, and Currie headwall didn't open all season. There was a weak layer in the snowpack this year and an inbounds slide on polar peak so understandable why they are being cautious. However, its always a risk with fernie that lots will be closed for avy risk due to the mountain set up. That combined with risk of rain and awkward lift set up means I probably wouldn't recommend it for a short trip looking for advanced terrain.

Don't do heli if you want advanced terrain.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bones wrote:
tangowaggon, Depending where you go, and for how long the Lake Louise Card may be of use. We bought it last year for our road trip, and it worked well. 1st, 4th and 7th day free, with $20 off other days IIRC. Can be used at a number of resorts.

There’s also a similar card for RCR resorts (Fernie/Kicking Horse/Kimberly). Seems you can’t lose, buy the card for the price of your 1st day skiing and get the 20% discount plus the days free. Should work out to be well under the $100/day mark.

Next year for the first time, the RCR resorts are covered in the Epic pass. Look into that to see if it suits your need
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc,Good point about the RCR card, as we wouldn't really utilise it we didn't bother, which is why I probably forgot about it. Saw about the Epic pass additions too.
Theres so many places adding and dropping about for the next season, off all the differing passes. What we really need is just one pass to ski them all Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Epic pass just gives a limited number of days across all rcr resorts so unless you plan on skiing other epic resorts unlikely to work out a good deal.

The 1,4,7 free cards can work out well. You need to get it pretty early as they stop selling them at some point.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The 1,4,7 free cards can work out well. You need to get it pretty early as they stop selling them at some point.

By Christmas - or opening date IIRC, but by then you should know what you are doing wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Epic gets you Whistler, Fernie and KH. I think it's a more impressive line up than Ikon's Banff 3 and Revy. Though Ikon kills it for next year sarf of the border.
ski holidays
I would agree whistler, kh, and fernie is more interesting group than banff and revy. How many people are really going to drive between whistler and kicking horse though? That's a very long drive, probably via Vancouver as north road may not be possible during winter. Fine for people out there for the season, but for people like op doing a short trip probably not realistic option. Also worth remembering you only get 7 days total across the rcr resorts rather than the usual unlimited days with epic pass.

You would think the "powder highway" resorts could get together and create a pass covering all options. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do! Would make things a lot easier for people visiting.
ski holidays
boarder2020, Depends what you class as the 'powder highway' wink
latest report
@boarder2020, The north road is interesting in Winter this winter it was very interesting!!!!! But we did not do the Whistler/cache creek bit, the weather was to bad.
Not many ski passes in costco this year! We will stick with Sun Peaks season pass for now, and 25% off some resorts and 50% in whistler.
ski holidays
I couldn't care less about the name. Call it powder highway pass, interior BC pass, whatever. Just make some kind of pass or deal for people wanting to road trip around the area.
latest report
Why should they?

People who have their mind set on skiing all the resorts along the powder highway will pay whatever to ski them.

In fact, the only reason to make a pact with other resort is to make sure they visit resorts IN the pact while skipping resorts NOT in the pact. But there's no point in having EVERY resort in the pact. That's no difference than not having a pact.
snow report
abc, exactly, and well put.
We didn't mind paying the prices we paid., We did search out what seemed to be the best deals, for us, and enjoyed the road trip last year Madeye-Smiley.
Enjoyed this years too, for many reasons Toofy Grin
ski holidays
They could make it work. Something like $200 "pass" which gives you 50% off walk up day tickets at all the resorts. Could even be stingy and limit number of days at each resort and have blackout dates. All resorts get a cut of the $200 and then keep whatever they sell on lift tickets.

I'm not really a road trip person as I don't feel like doing 2-3 days at a bunch of resorts is the best way to get quality riding. However, if thats what your looking for the pass options make USA a far more affordable option than powder highway now.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
.... How many people are really going to drive between whistler and kicking horse though? That's a very long drive, probably via Vancouver as north road may not be possible during winter.
You would think the "powder highway" resorts could get together and create a pass covering all options. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do! Would make things a lot easier for people visiting.

I think you mean the Duffy Lake Road. I drive it regularly, never had a problem, do not pay for winter tyres or insurance. The Duffy is generally safer and a more pleasant drive than the Coquihalla. Highway 1 is often closed, albeit for not very long; anyone driving around would not worry much about that, although I've never been delayed in 30 full seasons... I'm lucky.

As they said... I'm not really sure that I understand the commercial basis for a linked-up pass. Likely it doesn't exist for that reason.

The US has had broadly terrible snow conditions this year, so that's an extremely expensive option, if you're actually looking for powder wink I think the fixation on lift ticket prices is strange, as they're not the most significant expense items for many people.

Don't do heli if you want advanced terrain
<shrug>Perhaps you mean "don't do daily resort-based heli if you want advanced terrain", which I'd agree with. For heli you want somewhere hard to get to where you have to commit 7 days at a time, or you're going to be limited in what you can ride. But if you're remotely concerned about the prices of lift tickets, this is not relevant.
latest report
Quote:

I think the fixation on lift ticket prices is strange, as they're not the most significant expense items for many people.

Well OP did suggest lift ticket prices were "ridiculous" at $100 and ask about passes so it makes sense the thread would focus on lift ticket prices.

Fwiw if you pay $100 per day walk up they may well be the biggest cost. Over 10 days that would be around the same cost as flights. Can easily get accommodation and food for less than $100 per day especially if sharing cost amongst a group.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy