Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon X-Pro 110 boots

Poster: A snowHead
I'm new to this comunity, so please apologize in case my questions sound stupid.

I just recently (few months back) began to ski for the first time and decided to take advantage of the sales period and purchase my first ski boots.
I have quite a small feet - 25,5 mondo, 102mm, so finding an option is quite a challenge, as shops either do not even order such sized boots or run out of them the very first days as they are put on shelves.

Was trying on the 26 mondo Rossi Alltrack 100, but due to my high instep my foot started to hurt after few minutes of walking around the store, so it was a definitely a no-go.
Tried also the 26 Rossi Alias 80, which fitted quite well from the instep perspective but were too wide and also the Flex also was a bit too low - 80.
Tried 26,5 mondo Head (don't remember the exact model) but they were too big and too wide.

Just today, I tried on the Salomon X-PRO 110 ones, but despite the 25,5 size, I was even unable to put them one (couldn't slide my feet into the boot), which was very disappointing.
Should I look for 26 size, or if I'm unable to get into 25,5, Salomon should be left behind?

One of the guys in store, advised to look towards the Fisher boot, that can be moulded (isn't that the same what Salomon does with their X series?) to fit the instep.
Could that be the option?

Do I even have a change to get a ski boots that fits?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mario84, the right answer is to visit a good bootfitter and let them put you in the right boot. Normally Snowheads is pretty good at recommending bootfitter but looking at your location, it might be a bit trickier than normal.

So...I have feet that measure 26.5cm (so theoretically mondo 26.5) but with a high instep and a narrow heel. 25.5 is usually the right length but it is hard to find a boot that fits "out of the box" over my instep. I had a pair of X-pro 90s in 26.5, and after a week of skiing, the top of one foot was numb. Probably due to not having enough space over the top of my foot. It took several months to recover, and even now that foot is more sensitive to tight shoes. Based on that, perhaps the X-pro is the wrong shape if you have a high instep.

I now have Fischer vacuums which are a much better fit, but very expensive. The difference with the Fischer system is that it can make the boot smaller as well as bigger. However, it won't do much (I think) to the instep height so you need that to fit from the start.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mario84, Welcome to Snowheads -- just wish I could answer your question !

I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will post a reply soon,,,

EDIT -- mrgolf beat me too it !!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ha, I was trying a pair of the titled boots recently, which has a far higher stiffness than my existing boots, in "my" size and had to have a few go's at just getting them on. Thought they didnt fit but had a few goes, just a lot more stiff and had to pivot my foot a different way to get them on as oppose to my existing boots where I can bend and pull the shells much more easily. Was happy I didnt have trouble getting them off as on. So maybe not the size just the stiffness.

I think both the shell and the liner can get moulded on the X series.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:

I think both the shell and the liner can get moulded on the X series.

Yes. Though I'm not sure that moulding the shell can help much if the instep height is too low. With a bit of luck, someone will be along soon who really knows what they're talking about. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have the women’s Xpro 90, and yes, both shell and liner can be moulded. I have wide feet and a high instep, but a custom footbed helps with that. The boots fit well and are pretty comfortable, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll work for you...

Edited out the rubbish because I got Riga mixed up with Riva...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have xpro 100s and they were very difficult to get on & off when they were new, they still are if it is very cold but once they are on they are good for me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mario84, ...well, I am going to argue something which may irritate a few...

...the old X Wave lasts were great. I am a clear 26. I bought some X-Pros under a lot of time pressure, and just grabbed some 26s thinking that Salomon would not have been foolish enough to tamper with the excellent X Wave geometry. How wrong was I...

The X Pro last is LOOOOONG - with a huge heel pocket. It is crazily tight over the instep. This is a dimension which is notoriously difficult to mess with by moulding. A custom footbed frequently reduces the headroom, not increases it.

I have spoken to quite a few boot fitters and they say (privately and not too loudly) that the Salomon X Pro last is weeeeird.

If you are 25, then the 26s will most likely be WAY too long, and yet still tight over the instep. Note that this is entirely consistent with MGrolf's comments above.

I threw them in a corner, then after 9 months gave these 26s to a friend with collapsed arches and 27 feet....and he finds them long enough but too tight over the instep at times.

I have Lange RX110s - brilliant boot - in wide, in 26. Perfect fit. I have Atomic Hawk 110s - excellent - in 26. I have Cochise 110s in 26 which have been mighty fettled - brilliant.

But the X Pros? Genuinely weird shape in my view. Very limited application.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@valais2, I don’t know if the women’s boot is significantly different, but “too tight on the instep” is a common problem for me. I don’t have this problem with the xpro. My foot was padded on top when the boot was moulded to reduce the pressure.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What's more, the X-PRO is the higher volume shell in the range, the X-MAX is the slimmer lower volume of the two. Sometimes I find it difficult even to put them on, that's coming from Fischer Vacuum boots which were far too high at the instep, although the correct length in fit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My xpros were fitted by EB at Castleford with the full, shell in the oven, etc fitting / moulding routine and they are perfect for me but I do have funny feet with pronated ankles etc, I don't normally need to slacken them off between going on in the morning to taking off at 4pm. There are no pressure points, they just feel snug all over.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have XPro 120's with zipfits and custom footbeds in. They do fit long, I'm in a 25.5 having been a 26.5 in all previous Salomon and Technica boots. They were custom moulded in the shop with extra pads to increase the instep height. The left foot was fine but the right still caused problems. My foot would go numb by lunchtime and be properly painful by 3pm. However, I don't particularly blame the boot as I've had the same problem with every single pair of boots that I've ever had and all the previous ones were bigger. I consider myself to have wide feet with narrow heels and my right foot is wider at the front and narrower in the ankle/heel than my left so it's always the right foot that causes the most issues.

A very good bootfitter (The Boot Lab in Courchevel 1650) fixed it on the XPros by drilling out the instep buckle and putting a local stretch exactly where the two bones protrude on the top/side of the foot and then fitting a longer buckle so I could still do it up. I also had local punches done in both heels where my heelbone was banging the back of the boot at speed.

Not sure whether the heel pocket is particularly big. I've put extra heel filler in my zipfits because I had some heel movement but again, every pair of boots I've ever had has felt too sloppy around the heel. At least with the zipfits it can be adjusted. Have never tried the stock liner.

They're now the most (only!) comfortable boots I've ever had and I enjoy skiing in them.

I agree that they're hard to put on, particularly when cold but you just need to hold the inner cuff open with your thumbs and then they're ok.

Harald Harb explains it well around 4 minutes in:

http://youtube.com/v/0Z0zJNb-jZo
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for the replies!

Yes, in my location I'm quite limited to both - qualified boot fitters and boots themselves.

After watching the video, I'm now a bit confused - did I perhaps try to put them on in a wrong way and this is I wasn't able to slide my foot inside the boot?
The shop assistant (I'd like to call im this way, since unfortunately all he wanted was to get me out of the shop as soon as possible and not to bother with me anymore) didn't even try to help or correct me, if was doing something the wrong way.

However, it seems that I'll most likely have to take a trip to central Europe to get some wider selection and more qualified boot fitters.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Roguevfr, The fitter tried me in the X-Max "just to see", but my feet were numb within a few minutes. Definitely a lower volume shell.

@Mario84, If you're planning a ski trip, maybe get them fitted in resort and then if you need any adjustments you can easily get that done while you're there. Chamonix has a few well regarded shops, but there will be others if you have an idea of where you want to go. I generally find the XPro pretty easy to get on compared to previous boots, especially at room temperature as you can push the tongue really far forward and make the opening quite big.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mario84, you can always go back and have another try using Harb's technique. However, if the assistant didn't help you put them on then that also makes you wonder whether he would do the custom shell moulding that is a normal part of the fitting process and should be included in the purchase price.

I'm with @Scarlet on this, in your scenario better to buy them in resort from a proper fitter and sort out any issues before you go home. For the XPro in particular, this would also make sure that you get the right size. It would be very easy to buy them too big if you haven't got an experienced fitter checking your foot in the shell first.
snow report
I have narrow ankles and a (relatively) high instep too. The X-pros were too tight over the top for me, and caused my feet to go numb after about 20 mins in the shop - but I've found Atomic Hawx to be great in that regard, even with custom footbeds and 5mm heel raises on-board, and still have good heel grip for me - on my 5th week in them (120's). May be worth a try - they come in three widths/volumes these days as well (ultra, prime, magna).
ski holidays
I had X-max 90 28.00
Now x-max 100 27.5

Take out the inner boot and try again...

Measure ure feet with 2 books and write it down.. And the width...

The x-max 90 was easy to take on and off
the x-max 100 is a real struggle..
the 110 must be even more
cant imagine the 140

x-max kinda widens out of the day. make shure u dont buckle to much in the beginning.. the it might be to wide for you to begin with...

ive notice getting the super proper accurate size it gives me more buckle options, compared to before... I can alsow now ski with unbuckled shoes.
snow conditions
I have the latest Atomic Ultra Hawx 110 and my missus has the Women's Hawx 90 approx 5 years old.

Mine are a breeze to put on, her's are a real struggle... to the point where I have to do the tongue work for her (quiet at the back!!).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy