Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pin bindings & lightweight boots for lift-served skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Also worth reminding folks that lateral toe release (alpine bindings) and lateral heel release (most pin-tech bindings) are not the same:

https://www.wildsnow.com/15123/tech-binding-release-testing-acl-broken-leg/

Toe release (alpine) bindings offer better protection against tibial fractures whilst heel (tech) release are better against ACL injuries.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mike Pow, Not sure why you want to swank about having your weight too far back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@el nombre, can i ask what boot and din you ride?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
el nombre wrote:
Seems like most of what can be said has been said but just to add my 2p, I currently run kingpins on Candide 3s as my one quiver ski. After the last couple of trips that haven't involved masses of touring, I'm considering getting quiver killers set up for a standard alpine binding as I've been having some pre release issues that aren't particularly confidence inspiring. Now I'm not sure if I've buggered up the binding or if it's just a trait of a binding that has all the release movement in just the heel but they've come off a few times doing nothing particularly strenuous. A couple of cases where doing a small jump on to firm off camber snow was enough for the kingpins to release where I'm pretty confident a normal binding would not have done. Generally they ski no differently (as far as I can tell anyway) to a normal alpine binding but having that worry in the back of your mind that they may just pop off for not much reason does make you think twice about things that wouldn't be an issue with an alpine binding. Not particularly fun.

Got Kingpins on my Candide 2 108's and never pre-released, maybe get yours checked???
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gordyjh wrote:
@Mike Pow, Not sure why you want to swank about having your weight too far back.

Presume you're referring to the video clip I posted.

I ski on a centre mounted twin-tip ski with a pretty upright boot.

I ski tall. And centred.

The ski is in the 116-84-110 range so sinks deeper into the snowpack than wider platform skis and the resistance from being in the snow lessens the need to make big and /or abrupt turn shapes.

I don't pole plant.

I ski differently from most people. It works for me and my students.

In every run there are moments when I'm caught back, and forward 😁 but this is part of dynamic balance in a movement sport.

With so many recreational skiers too far forward on their skis riding the tongues of their boots my centred, upright stance may look 'too far back' to you.

But that's another thread 😉😁
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara wrote:
@el nombre, can i ask what boot and din you ride?

K2 pinnacles with din originally around 7 but have bumped up lateral release to around 8.

KenX wrote:
Got Kingpins on my Candide 2 108's and never pre-released, maybe get yours checked???

Yeah, I did actually have a post up here about it and the conclusion seemed to be that there was nothing obviously wrong with them so I wanted to try and get the release tested somewhere but there doesn't seem to be a lot options for that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
el nombre wrote:
......so I wanted to try and get the release tested somewhere but there doesn't seem to be a lot options for that.

You anywhere near Nottingham?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No. Down near Brighton. Edge and wax was the nearest place and where I got them mounted originally but they're not around anymore. Don't know if they had what would be needed anyway saying that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
don't snow and rock have a machine?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never really considered the Brighton snow and rock to be anything more than a fashion shop really but will definitely give it a go as that'd be really easy. Will try and report back if anything comes of it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent thread. Thanks all. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@el nombre, get yourself up to see @spyderjon, it’s be worth a day trip to make sure it’s done right!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy