Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glencoe and Glenshee go into receivership [update]

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No, if they were lift pylons they could only have been the ones at Nevis Range (Aonach Mor) which is an adjacent mountain.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK, it didn't look too impressive. The name (if not the correct pronounciation) also ring a bell. I was with a fell runner/climber, who was explaining the technical bits of a climb up a large lump of rock next door. Just as he was saying how tricky a certain section was, we noticed a mountain rescue chopper hovering in the exact spot - looked like it was trying to get some people off. Further down the road a gaggle of Mountain Rescue landies were in a layby, so I hope whoever it was got off the mountain safely. First time I've been up there for ages, and I'd forgotten how amazing the landscape is. Zero visiblity from 1000m up though...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tough crowd temperature wasn't a problem at all. Both this past season (2003/04) and also season 2002/03 had many spells which saw cold temperatures over the mountains but not enough precipitation!

Lager you are correct, and the main problem at Glenshee is that they cannot get people to the snow. Coire Fionn had good snow but was unreachable due to the infrastructure! I wouldn't be surprised to see lifts at Glenshee removed and end up at some of the other ski centres...

michael stocking if you were in Ben Nevis area, then it wouldn't have been Glenshee as that is in the east of the country. Since Nevis Range base station isn't visible from the road (you take it's access road up first plus you would have seen moving gondolas on the line) and there is only one other ski area in the west which yes is visible from the road, then that was Glencoe that you saw with the Access Chairlift heading up over the rise.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
highlander, to say that temperature wasn't / isn't a problem is surely not what you mean? Scottish Highland winters have all too frequently delivered rain instead of snow, and thaws which have been exacerbated by rain.

My recollection from the 70s and 80s was that SW winds in deep winter consistently delivered snow, but no longer do this with any reliability.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith what I was meaning to say was that there have been many periods of cold weather but limited precipitation coinciding with this (very frustrating for both the resorts and the punters). But yes, after each snowfall where we did strike lucky, there were seemingly higher temperatures immediately afterwards.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No, that would be Nevis Range on Anoach Mor. It's the most modern of Scottish resorts, has a gondola up from the road to the main base.

www.winterhighland.com for pics of it.

It usually gets plenty of whitestuff. The developers skied it on mid-summer's day for a decade to prove it.

Glenshee is way further East, on the A93 north from Blairgowrie
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
michael stocking wrote:
On the road up I saw a snaking line of pylons set back maybe half a mile from the road, heading over a ridge.

SussexSnow, this would surely suggest Glencoe, as it is the only ski area in the west to have the base station visible from the main road - with Nevis Range there is an access road with the base station unvisible. And lets not forget that the road up from the south to Fort William leads past Glencoe.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends. The poster said they were in the Ben Nevis area. You can see the gondola going up. Anyhow, glad someone clocked a Scottish 'resort'.

Anyhow, another gratitious(sp?) plug for Glencoe. I was there on the last day of their Season in late April and it was lovely. Just the access and upper lift open but great fun. The Haggis Trap and The Flypaper providing amazing challenges for the 30 people there that day.

And with the good news that both Coe and Shee being saved we look forward to the new season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think it was Glencoe, as it was some way short of the Nevis range, and on the road to Fort William. It had a couple of boards up by the road saying "Ski here!" (or similar). I was on the way up to do the 3 peaks challenge, which I would recommend by the way. But probably not in the winter. Boots in summer, skis in winter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very unlikely!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy