Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz with young children

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Avoiraz at the end of next week with my wife and two children, and I have a couple of questions about Avoriaz.

I've been going on skiing holidays for around 10 years, but neither my wife or the children have ever been on a skiing holiday before. My wife has lessons booked with ESF and my son (5 years old) has morning lessons booked at the village des enfants, but my daughter is too young for lessons, so I'll be spending most of the week making sure she is entertained!

I read a couple of weeks ago on the Avoriaz weather thread that Aquariaz had been closed due to the weight of snow on the roof. Does anybody know if this is still the case?
Are there any slopes with travelators rather than drags? I can't think of any myself.. I am a primarily a snowboarder so I have brought a Burton Chicklet set up with a Riglet tow so I can pull my daughter around in some quiet areas. One of the areas I am thinking of using is the small slope next to the thrashers drag, but it would be nicer to find a travelator.
Any general tips for other family entertainment / where to eat / what to avoid in and around Avoriaz would be great!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Per elsewhere Aquariaz still looked closed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The one thing my boys remember from being at Avoiriaz as little ones, some 20 plus years later, is the horse drawn sleigh ride!

I think anything else I could add re small children there will be too out of date to be any use but I`m sure someone will come along with useful info shortly!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How old is she Chris? The Garderie takes them from 6 months, they have a ski+creche program from 4 years with esf pious-piou club, or you can book piou-piou only direct with esf. Village des Enfants is from 3 years, but I guess you know that if your boy is booked in. Not sure if there's a public travelator at the Snowkids Parkway by the thrashers lift, they do have one in the esf jardin d'enfants, but it's inside the piou-piou pen. Likewise VdesE has one but if you say she's too young...?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great suggestions from @shep.

Buy a plastic sledge - that’ll keep you both amused for hours! Plus there’s normally a children’s ice rink.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi there,
I’m in Avoriaz right now.
Ski rink is there and open.
Saw a sign today that said an event scheduled for water park has been moved to Friday, so I assume it’s open now or opening soon.
Plenty families with young kids and sledges (25 Euro at the ski shop I was in today). Resort is light until around 7 now, and with skiers / boarder heading for home at 5 there is plenty of time to sledge on streets around the resort.
Haven’t seen travelator but I’ve only been here a day. I was around beginner area though and only saw rows. Hope that helps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
*saw tows
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Boulangerie in the main village (opposite tourist office and near a tabac) is great for cheap lunches. It has tables both inside up the stairs and also has a terrace.
It's close to the Dromonts drags in the village.
I'm guessing there will be lots of 'animations' on next week as it's a busy family time, check for a programme with the tourist office.
It's probably out of the way and not convenient but the quietest beginner slope is down in Prodains and the 'Prodains' drag lift is free.
I think there is a carousel in the Avoriaz village.
There is a bowling alley too and they might have them 'ramp' things?
Have a great trip.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shep wrote:
How old is she Chris? The Garderie takes them from 6 months, they have a ski+creche program from 4 years with esf pious-piou club, or you can book piou-piou only direct with esf. Village des Enfants is from 3 years, but I guess you know that if your boy is booked in. Not sure if there's a public travelator at the Snowkids Parkway by the thrashers lift, they do have one in the esf jardin d'enfants, but it's inside the piou-piou pen. Likewise VdesE has one but if you say she's too young...?

Hi Shep. She's 2 and a half so slightly to young for Village de Enfants, but old enough to not want to miss out on what her big brother is doing! I'm hoping for some sunny mornings messing about on the nursery slopes on her snowboard.

zedzed_uk wrote:
Hi there,
I’m in Avoriaz right now.
Ski rink is there and open.
Saw a sign today that said an event scheduled for water park has been moved to Friday, so I assume it’s open now or opening soon.
Plenty families with young kids and sledges (25 Euro at the ski shop I was in today). Resort is light until around 7 now, and with skiers / boarder heading for home at 5 there is plenty of time to sledge on streets around the resort.
Haven’t seen travelator but I’ve only been here a day. I was around beginner area though and only saw rows. Hope that helps.

That sounds encouraging regarding the pool. I hadn't really considered the fact that it's going to be light a lot later (I have never been this late in the season) so that's a great shout.

@247snowman wrote:
The Boulangerie in the main village (opposite tourist office and near a tabac) is great for cheap lunches. It has tables both inside up the stairs and also has a terrace.
It's close to the Dromonts drags in the village.
I'm guessing there will be lots of 'animations' on next week as it's a busy family time, check for a programme with the tourist office.
It's probably out of the way and not convenient but the quietest beginner slope is down in Prodains and the 'Prodains' drag lift is free.
I think there is a carousel in the Avoriaz village.
There is a bowling alley too and they might have them 'ramp' things?
Have a great trip.

Great tip regarding the Boulangerie and handy that it is close to Village Des Enfants as well for some post-lesson treats. The prodains lift isn't one I had considered, but my daughter may enjoy the 'adventure' of going for a ride down on the big lift to get to it. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m in a similar boat: going to Avoriaz for first time next Sunday for a week with 2 young children (10 and 4) who’ve never skied before. They are getting lessons with Evolution 2.

Saw the Aquariaz news and heart sank. Weather forecast by then looks a bit on the mild and rainy side too. But the novelty of being up in a car-free resort with metres of snow in April should do the trick.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chrismurray1986, ok so too young for VdesE, the creche http://www.garderie-avoriaz.com/index.php?lang=uk does have a lovely snow-garden and they get them outside playing with all the kit, so if you fancy a morning off could be worth a look. Take her vaccination docs and passport with you. Re the travelator, you could try the old ski-bum trick of using the public lifts for uplift, and skiing back down the roads! Lots of blocks have an external "assenseur public" for pedestrians to get around the village (in at the bottom - out at the top), find one with a good quiet "road" looping back down (it's car-free remember) and bob's your uncle. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More of a faff and not as good as Aquariaz for children but you can always take the Prodains bubble down, jump on the free bus to Morzine and go in the pool there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy