Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen - Best time to visit?

Poster: A snowHead
It's always been on my list of resorts to visit one day and 2019 may be the year. The problem is I'm restricted to school hols. So when would be best - half term (better snow, but busier?) or early April (Easter is late next year and is at the end of the school break)?? Thoughts from any locals or those who know the area well would be appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest half term, It's not the highest resort and the Swiss have a tendency to close much of the mountain early April regardless of when easter is.
Start saving, it's not the cheapest place though it is very pretty.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dw832, visit in the summer holidays too - stunning
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
February or March.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Early March is usually best, but as usual the weather is king. This season you could have come anytime between the first weekend of December and Easter and it would have been fab. February half term isn’t too busy, so in your circumstances I'd recommend it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the info. It looks like half term, then. I’m thinking of an apartment in Wengen or wondering if Lauterbrunnen might not give us more flexibility. Self catering is always the way to keep the costs down. Lift pass prices look comparable to elsewhere.

Go on scare me - how much for a small beer? That famous Swiss dish - pizza?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't worry its possible get Large beer for 5francs (500ml) generally around 5.5 to 5.9 francs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The famous Swiss integrated transport system makes Lauterbrunnen a practical prospect, but you do have to live according to a timetable. It's perfectly possible to stay in the valley, get a bus to the train straight up to Kleine Scheidegg, and go home on the train from Wengen, but if you miss the bus or train you'll have a certain amount of waiting to do. Depends on how organised your family is! I can dig out details of the large apartment we stayed in if you like (or wait for @Gämsbock to show up here; she'll know)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Maireadoconnor, it was this one wink

http://beyulapartments.com/room/haford-a-hendre-lauterbrunnen-valley/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maireadoconnor wrote:
The famous Swiss integrated transport system makes Lauterbrunnen a practical prospect, but you do have to live according to a timetable. It's perfectly possible to stay in the valley, get a bus to the train straight up to Kleine Scheidegg, and go home on the train from Wengen, but if you miss the bus or train you'll have a certain amount of waiting to do. Depends on how organised your family is! I can dig out details of the large apartment we stayed in if you like (or wait for @Gämsbock to show up here; she'll know)

But presumably if you stay in Wengen itself you've got to pay to park the car in Lauterbrunnen and transfer everything up to your accommodation on the train? As idyllic as Wengen would appear, that does sound like a hassle.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dw832 wrote:

But presumably if you stay in Wengen itself you've got to pay to park the car in Lauterbrunnen and transfer everything up to your accommodation on the train? As idyllic as Wengen would appear, that does sound like a hassle.

It's not a hassle. For every winter guest who stays in Lauterbrunnen, probably 20 times more choose Wengen (most of the hotels in Lauterbrunnen close over the winter) - it's well worth 15 minutes on the train with all your stuff to stay up in the village, and there's so much more to do in the evenings whereas Lauterbrunnen is dead as a door nail.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I were visiting the area again I would prefer Wengen. But it would be more expensive
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wengen is the better choice, you can get a taxi from the station to your self clattering accommodation if you need to, many apartments are within a short walk of the station, but if there has been recent snow the road may be slippery and a short taxi ride is easier, some of the apartments located up hill from the station are even ski in ski out, whilst others can be reached within a snowballs throw of the piste.

The parking in Lauterbrunnen multi story car park has lift access to the station, you can go completely undercover from car to train. I'm not a huge fan of Lauterbrunnen as a place to stay, in the Winter the high sides of the valley mean that you only get a couple of hours of good sunlight in the middle of the day, that said being in Lauterbrunnen makes it easier to also visit Murren.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're flying and staying in Wengen consider pricing up the train from Zurich. Staying in Grindelwald is an option if budget is an issue.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loud voice for Lauterbrunnen hear! I've been down here for 15 seasons give or take. It works on so many levels, 15 mins to Wengen the ccar up to Mannlichen. 5 mins to Grutschalp then 5 to Winteregg and thus Murren.
Finally BOB (train) down to Zweilutschinen change for ride to Grindelwald & First.
Loads of accommodation and places to eat if you are self catering.....the hotels don't close in winter!
snow conditions
Apologies for the thread hijack but,

Might also do Junfrau in 2019 but it is looking like the first week of January (Dec 29th to Jan 5th).

Assuming an average weather season, is the skiing decent by then? Will it be unbearably busy?

Our group of 4 is one non skier (wife), one intermediate (son) and two strong skiers (daughter and I). The non skier will insist on our group being based in Lauterbrunnen.

Am I asking for trouble?
ski holidays
Not unbearably, but it will be busy. Why on earth will the non-skier want to be in Lauterbrunnen?
snow report
Had started to plan the airport to resort by train option, but was surprised to discover it involves 4 changes of train! and the return price for two of us looks like 333 euros. Car hire starts to look the better option.
latest report
A bit cheaper than I reported - a Swiss Transfer ticket looks like £116 each - so £232 for the two of us. Car hire looks like £132. I already have excess insurance.
Parking at Lauterbrunnen for 4 days looks around £42. Return train fare between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen is 16.40euros each + petrol. So there's not a lot in it.

Thinking that part of the Swiss experience will be to use the train, even if it does involve 4 changes.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
Not unbearably, but it will be busy. Why on earth will the non-skier want to be in Lauterbrunnen?

She has seen pictures of Lauterbrunnen and wants to go to see it for herself. It was then suggested that a family ski holiday could happen even though 1/4 of the family does not ski. Sort of a JRR Tolkien thing too but that is more a thing for the other 3/4.

My Swiss skiing is limited to a few runs in Les Crosets while visiting Avoriaz 30 years ago.....so I am keen to do a Swiss holiday for a change.

Would you suggest that Wengen is a better base for a non-skier? Please keep in mind that the non skier is also deathly afraid of heights and any chairlift, gondola or cable car is completely out of the question. Spas, walking nowhere near a cliff, food, wine, beer and shopping are all fine.
ski holidays
At the beginning of January Wengen is definitely the better bet. Down in the valley at that time of year the days will be dark and short. No spas in Lauterbrunnen but a selection in Wengen, not to mention a much better choice of bars and restaurants. Shopping is good in Interlaken - just under an hour by train.

Trains run up to Kleine Scheidegg every half-hour, with the possibility to continue down to Grindelwald for shopping/lunch. Lots of winter walking in and around the village.

There's a hiking pass for non-skiers which costs a bit less than a ski pass - it covers all the transport in the area.
snow conditions
@dw832, changing trains in Switzerland is generally very easy. Not at all like in the UK.
latest report
dw832 wrote:

Thinking that part of the Swiss experience will be to use the train, even if it does involve 4 changes.

Which airport are you starting from? I've done Zurich to Wengen, it's only 3 changes (4 legs).

The change at Lauterbrunnen was dead easy. Out one train, walk 20' across the platform to the waiting train on the opposite side of the platform. Can't speak about the other changes, depending on where you're changing.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
dw832 wrote:

Which airport are you starting from? I've done Zurich to Wengen, it's only 3 changes (4 legs).

The change at Lauterbrunnen was dead easy. Out one train, walk 20' across the platform to the waiting train on the opposite side of the platform. Can't speak about the other changes, depending on where you're changing.

abc is correct - if you're flying into Zurich airport it's 3 changes (Bern, Interlaken Ost then Lauterbrunnen). If you're flying into Basel (Easyjet hub) it's only 2 changes as there is a direct train from Basel to Interlaken Ost (actually the train is run by Deutsche Bahn from North Germany!). Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Been 8 times since 2006, mix of January's & March, and every single trip presented its challenges.

Best snow ever was last week (17-24 March) & have done several in reasonable snow & several as 'holidays on ice'. The week after the Lauberhorn race is always interesting & if you are really lucky, you can see your face in the blue ice laid from the race as you slide your way down the run.

We did our first 4 visits to Wengen & have stayed for the last 4 at The Derby in Grindelwald. Have found this a better base for our needs as we've done Murren to death now (not impossible from Grindelwald but a little more work than Wengen).

FYI we've just done done train from Geneva for the first time. As long as you are organised it works perfectly fine. Get the SBB app & plot your route, it gives you updates as you go.

Have stayed at the Belvedere, Silberhorn & Victora In Wengen. All OK with usual +\- based on specific preferences. The Derby at Grindelwald however win overall.

The area is perfect for non-skiers with lots of walking etc to be done plus it means you can still make lunch arrangements that all can get too via trains or buses.
ski holidays
xtr wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

She has seen pictures of Lauterbrunnen and wants to go to see it for herself. It was then suggested that a family ski holiday could happen even though 1/4 of the family does not ski. Sort of a JRR Tolkien thing too but that is more a thing for the other 3/4.

My Swiss skiing is limited to a few runs in Les Crosets while visiting Avoriaz 30 years ago.....so I am keen to do a Swiss holiday for a change.

Would you suggest that Wengen is a better base for a non-skier? Please keep in mind that the non skier is also deathly afraid of heights and any chairlift, gondola or cable car is completely out of the question. Spas, walking nowhere near a cliff, food, wine, beer and shopping are all fine.

There’s more choice of everything in Wengen compared to Lauterbrunnen, and you can admire the valley nicely from Wengen too. She can get the trains up or down easily from Wengen although if you go up the Mannlichen to ski she’ll never come visit you.. only way up is cable car.
latest report
@Phae88, @telford_mike,

Thanks for the advice. After chatting about cold, lack of sun etc., if we do a family Lauterbrunnen trip...it will be a summer trip (which suits me just fine).

Even better, it opens up the timing and location of next winter's trip for the rest of the family.

Cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy