Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Drive Down - chit chat

Poster: A snowHead
Crikey, JohnE, that's awful! It sounds like they just want to follow a script and are completely unable to look at this sensibly.

Really hope you can get a decent solution.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hells Bells, Yes well the repatriation goes like this:

Leave Les Arcs in hire car number 1 at 6:00
Arrive with that car at St. Quentin at about 15:00 and drop that car off.
Pick up hire car number 2 at st Quentin and drive to Calais
Drop off hire car 2 at Calais and board ferry as foot passengers
Pick up hire car 3 at Dover and drive home.

A taxi and flight from CdG to Birmingham may have been easier but they have not suggested that. All I hope is I can find the drop off in Calais and get a shuttle to the boat.

At least at the moment I am warm, dry and enjoying a glass of wine looking out of the window as the sun sets on Mont Blanc. It has been a beautiful day by the way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, indeed, the sun setting over Mont Blanc was pretty spectacular this evening! Boost your morale for the day ahead tomorrow - sounds like you're going to need it..

Whereabouts in Les Arcs are/were you staying? We're in 1950.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, good luck to you and your family tomorrow with your journey home!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good luck to everyone driving home tomorrow. Especially @johnE, sounds like you have quite a trip ahead. I hope it goes smoothly for everyone.

Our car is packed & alarms are set. Planning to leave courchevel about 6am to head for the tunnel. Hope to be back in Wales by bedtime.

Safe trip everyone.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sparklies, Actually I am not really bothered about the journey back. It'll happen.

We are in arc 1600 with an apartment looking directly across the Tarrentaise and Bourg to the mountains beyond. The sun has now left the mountain top.

It was a good day skiing today with good firm pistes in the morning and a few sticky places this afternoon and a glorious lunch down at Pre st Espirit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
True - it's just one day. In two days time it'll be history, and somebody will hopefully sort out repatriating your car properly!

That sounds lovely. We can't see Mont Blanc from our apartment, but we could see the sun over the Bois de L'Ours mountain at least. It was indeed a good day today, incredible sunshine and the pistes were indeed great.

I keep meaning to try that place down at Pre St Esprit and keep forgetting! It's not like Les Arcs is overloaded with decent mountain restaurants. Glad to hear it is good!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are actually quite a few decent restaurants in les arcs. They just happen to be low down not beside the piste. May I suggest the hotel vanoise in vallandry , the pararomanic or cairn in 1600. We had a lovely meal last night in the noveau monde in 1600 last night. It is only 50 m from the combettes piste

Apart from the "PONY express" style of travel it is more or less what we planned anyway. The style is not to worry about what you cannot control.

This will be the first time ever I have left a ski resort on a Saturday morning. Let's see what the traffic brings.

Good night and sweet dreams
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
True - we've not really tried any in the towns except for 2000 and 1950 simply because I don't like leaving the skis unattended in a town. We did have a nice meal in Bar 2134 in Arc 2000, that was good. And I do like the one just above 2000 on the mountain but just about walkable from 2000 if needs be. But in the mountains proper, there doesn't seem to be very many restaurants at all, let alone really nice ones!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sparklies, i dont want to start the whole protecting your skis debate as its just been done on other threads... but... what do you mean by unattended? You cannot possibly watch your skis at every moment so it doesn't matter whether you are on the mountain or in town. Seriously...lock em up and chill and enjoy everything available
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, sounds like you are taking it in your stride. Were you towed to the Renault garage in St Quentin? We have been twice, 18 years apart and neither repatriation went smoothly. The most recent one they couldn't fix the car and suggested a new engine!

Good luck.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After a great 8 nights and 8 days skiing n Les Sybelles we got off the slopes in the glorious sunshine around 4pm yesterday. Left Le Corbier around 5pm after the usual cajoling and hollering at the kids to get changed etc. Got to Troyes around 10pm for an overnight stop. Left this morning around 8.30am. Satnav suggests we'll arrive at the tunnel around midday. We're booked on the 13.50 train so we may be a tad early even allowing for a quick dive into a supermarket to grab a baguette etc. Anyway all flowing well and Eurotunnel traffic news saying check-in and departures all running ok at the moment.

@johnE, hope your day of rental car surfing goes well. Sounds a bit faffy but at least there's a route home and you'll get there in the end ! Just hope each car they've lined up for you is big enough for your luggage!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gendarmerie speed van on A26 north, after Reims. Roughly where motorway passes village called Remies.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And another some way after St Quentin where the D57 crosses the A26.

Watch your speed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DJL, no it is the Skoda dealership.

My experience of main dealers is that they simplyvwant to replace the largest single unit they can and not actually repair anything.

We can probably survive without the car for quite a while so we'll see what happens.

I'll keep everyone informed of the progress in case the experience helps anyone else.
latest report
@Gazzza, we left the skis and as much as possible in les arcs to cut the amount of luggage to manageable proportions.

The agents just rang to say they are having problems finding a hire car in France. The train strike has caused high demand for car hire.

The traffic is very very heavy this morning. We even came across a queue at a motorway toll. A car had broken down at the gate! It appears that all of Belgium is on its way home. Going past moutiers I reckon over half the cars Belgian and the rest British. No French at all.
ski holidays
I would always insist that my car is re-patriated un-repaired. First time it was and all went well local dealer fixed it in two days. (Shame it took the manufacturer to 3 weeks to get it to the UK under warranty) Second time, different manufacturer, repaired in France and repatriated, garage tried to bill me €3000 - just kept referring it back to manufacturer, eventually went away.

The actual repair it there or home seems to be quite vague in most T&C's
snow report
Got to tunnel at 12.15 for 13.50 departure. No queue at check in, drove straight to a kiosk. Offered us a 12.50 train so we took that. Around 5 cars at each immigration terminal, now at queue to board. So 15 minutes from pulling off motorway to sitting in the boarding lane. Pretty good. Just boarding now in fact.
ski holidays
@johnE, nightmare , I thought from your post about the repatriation plan meant they'd actually booked all the cars for you already. Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
@Gazzza, it appears they couldn't begin the search for hire cars until 8 this morning when the companies open. Tbh the proposed taxi to Calais sounds much better to me.

Just saw a French car on the motorway. The first one for ages
snow report
The first of the hitches. We arrived at st Quentin at 3 to be told the car hire receiver will not get here until 4. Then a taxi will arrive to take us to Calais

Since our Skoda is near by I'll stroll over and see if the stuff we left in it has been nicked yet
latest report
Tunnel seems to be running well. Just at queue for passports. Don't think we really needed flexi plus today (and this passport queue is the slowest!) But at least we didn't have to worry what time we arrived.
I can't believe how hot it is. Feel a bit daft wearing my snowboots in 22 degree sunshine! Very Happy
snow report
We are currently in crawling traffic on a26 about to join a4 ring road around Reims...gendarme van just passed us. Anyone know what the delay is? Not sure I can see an obvious alternative suggestion for anyone travelling behind us....
snow report
Can you just take the road through Reims, as we used to? I always rather liked that as it broke the monotony of the motorway.
snow report
Just passed it. Bad accident. 4 Belgian registered cars. In the fast lane. Luckily everyone seems ok. Be safe everyone.
latest report
JohnE. What a nightmare. Hope you have some luck soon
Driving back now and stuck in hideous traffic on the A6. Is this mostly because of the rain strike? Not many British cars to be seen so can’t be all us
latest report
Just arrived at the ferry terminal walked in and bought 3 one way tickets on the next crossing. It is nearly deserted.

Still no idea what happens when we get across the channel
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

Claim asylum, you will be given free transport, a house , benefits and maybe a free ski holiday 😂
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just set off on the tunnel back - arrived early and put on the one before our booked slot - not directed to the waiting area as it’s not that busy. Left Le Grand Bornand at 9.30 so not a bad run - motorway services were heaving and best avoided.
All over for another season 🙁
snow report
johnE wrote:

Well, hope it's better than what happened to us, in a similar situation.

We were told to pick up a hire car at the ferry port but, due to the ferry being a couple of hours late, the office was closed. After a long telephone conversation we eventually had to get a taxi to somewhere, where, we were told, we would be met by someone who who would open that car hire office especially for us! Of course, the place was deserted but after another phone call and a wait, a man turned up and we loaded up the luggage and were on our way. A long drive to Nottingham wasn't a nice prospect at that time of night but at least there wouldn't be much traffic. Got such a shift on that we got flashed (early hours of the morning, nothing on the road!) and I got a speeding ticket.

And don't get me started on the repatriation of the car saga! Evil or Very Mad .
ski holidays
@johnE, Sorry to read of your problems! When we had a taxi back from St Quentin ish (a few year back now) our broken down car on a tow vehicle + caravan was towed by a vehicle driving in front of us (took a bit of discussion and sorting all in French in the spot). The docks personnel were extremely good at sorting out the technicalities and a large tow truck with capacity for car, caravan and 5 passengers met us at Dover. We entered and left the boat as foot passengers. Our insurers agreed to bring car and caravan along with us because we insisted we needed much of the luggage and they could not find a suitable hire tow car for us (between Xmas and New Year). Hope all works well for you!
ski holidays
@johnE, what happened?? I've been telling my family about your trip on our way home. We are all waiting to hear you've made it back home.

We've just arrived home in Wales. What a fantastic week! Time to pack the skis away and get the boat out! X
latest report
@johnE, fingers crossed for you.
If it makes you feel any better, things are pretty grim on the flying side. The French air traffic control strike has meant lots of cancellations from Geneva. Our flight got cancelled, and we are now in a Geneva Hotel. Tomorrow will be a flight to Nice, then flight to Stansted late Sunday night, followed by car hire drive to Gatwick to pick up the car and then finally home in the early hours of Monday!
snow report
The saga continues

Now we are heading in yet another taxi to Gatwick airport where we will pick up another hire. With luck we will be home about 1 tomorrow.

The car had a dramatic electrical failure which the French garage refused to even diagnose. I am happy it is being repatriated. We were only a 100 miles or so into I ski trip@breeze11, trust you a nicely tucked up in bed. I will post when we get home
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, your story sounds even more traumatic. At least we moving. In some respects it's like a gangster heist moving where we keep moving our bags from car to car to baggage trolley etc
ski holidays
@johnE, we had a fantastic week skiing and the kids are treating the hotel like an adventure (whether that’s still the case in 36 hours is another question!).

Fingers crossed you get home soon, keep us posted!
snow conditions
Home at last. We left Les Arcs at 6:30 and got home at 1:00 UK time the next day using 2 hire cars, 2 taxis, 2 shuttle busses and 1 ferry. Now all that needs doing is to get the car home.

The breakdown insurance should cover it but at the moment we have to claim 250 euro for the recovery from the motorway and 150 for the ferry tickets. there were 8 foot passengers on the ferry and talking to one man whose car had also broken who had to get to Reading from Dover and discovered the last train had already left and was looking for somewhere to stay for the night. He appears he did not have breakdown insurance and was unfazed by the problem.

@Handy Turnip, Hope the kids are enjoying the trip, but I imagine the transfer from Stanstead to Gatwick will not please them a lot.
ski holidays
Relatively smooth trip home, left Vallandry at 06:35 and was back home 19:00 UK time, a little over 13:20 door to door.

Biggest issues were a Belgians who appeared clueless at driving down thr valley and one who tried to go through 30kph Telepeage lane - with no tag Twisted Evil He was not popular!

Nor was the guy who left his lights on during crossing and couldn't start car on train. He refused an offer of push, as it would damage car ffs, and insisted on waiting for eurotunnel rescue Twisted Evil He was not popular!

Finally, despite having done it a zillion times, I missed the M26 turn so had a slightly longer trip up M20 then back around M25 ooops - family won't let me forget that! Embarassed
snow report
@Boris, I am surprised no one pointed out his lights to him, whenever we take the tunnel train there seems to be a constant stream of passengers wandering up and down past our car. It can’t all be to gaze at our Cockapoo and say “oh isn’t she sweet”, but mostly yoof who wouldn’t notice something like lights I suppose.

Do you share the drive? Two hours on and off?
ski holidays
@johnE, glad to hear you are back safely! What a great story to tell.

@Handy Turnip, sounds like you've had a bit of an epic trip home. Hope all goes smoothly for you today!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy