Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Expensive poles. Restaurant. What to do?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Twice dropped straps while on chairlifts due to the ingrained habit of taking loops off hands.

this and this @SnoodlesMcFlude

Quote:

I saw four poles underneath one lift today, all in places they wouldn’t be returning from

@Themasterpiece, you don't have them above the footrest so not gonna happen. You barely notice them underneath you, it's not uncomfortable
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@underanewname yes me too. However trying to get teenagers to match my levels of fastidiousness is a never ending battle that I often lose. Having been scoffed at regularly by Mrs Spin for doing it this time I was, I thought vindicated. Mrs Spin pointed out that my lock cost more than the pole replacement cost and I was scoffed at again rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dp, oh, now there’s a bright idea. Liking that. Except my i wateringly expensive poles are nearly 20 years old and no thief in their right mind would bother.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Always sit on my poles, not uncomfortable at all, poles sticking out forwards
Themasterpiece, Theres no way the bar is coming up unless I let it, as foot firmly planted on it - that's if its down that is. SWMBO and I never bother with the bar, its only down if passengers request it Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roguevfr wrote:
Nope. That can't go uncommented upon. Sat on them? What across the seat or sticking out the front? Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Sticking out back to front, works perfectly unless the chair has a fully enclosed back. My lad showed it me, the a certain Val D based instructor was also in on the secret. Baskets to the front. Plenty room for the bar to go up and down.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had my beautiful Völkl Phantasticks stolen from the Folie at VT. They were one of a kind hand made for me by a friend who worked at Völkl. Like a numpty I locked the skis but didnt even think about anyone pinching my poles Crying or Very sad

Scarpa had a pair of his old battered poles "exchanged" for an even more ancient and battered poles outside a hut in Schladming. We had a right giggle when on coming out of the last beer stop for the day, flangesax had hidden them so he thought they´d been stolen again Twisted Evil

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 22-03-18 22:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moseyp wrote:
Quote:

Twice dropped straps while on chairlifts due to the ingrained habit of taking loops off hands.

Quote:

I saw four poles underneath one lift today, all in places they wouldn’t be returning from

@Themasterpiece, you don't have them above the footrest so not gonna happen. You barely notice them underneath you, it's not uncomfortable

Aren't you more at risk of dropping them if you're faffing about trying to sit on them?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wrap a load of tape around so they look like crap, no one will want to nick them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
moseyp wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Aren't you more at risk of dropping them if you're faffing about trying to sit on them?

Not in my experience, zero poles dropped. Or gloves, or phone etc. I have functioning hands. The sit on is one fluid move.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't find it hard to do and I'm pretty uncoordinated, easiest way is once the footrest is down lift yourself up a bit and shove poles under, but you can do it even before the rest is down. Similarly when you are approaching the end of the lift just yourself up a little and pull the poles out. It makes it a lot easier to do things on the lift and the poles are not going anywhere.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don’t think I have ever sat on my poles Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First time I saw Leki poles was in this tiny isolated mountain restaurant in Switzerland when these huge big German guys were squeezing their way into it, carrying their poles with them. So I was thinking WTF are they at??? They were obviously known to the owner, who appeared with a tray of empty shot glasses to raucous cheers. Then the biggest of them stands up, unscrews the handle from his pole and proceeds to fill the glasses!!! They even offered us a shot - and it was good schnapps !! Happy

Got myself a pair since, and my favourite fill is Glayva. Can't get it in Ireland though Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
endoman wrote:
Not in my experience, zero poles dropped.

Ditto. Which is why I don't see why you'd sit on poles to avoid dropping them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cos then I can, if wanted, take piccies etc , get a snack from pocket, my son is Captain Faff, and has taught me well! Gloves with the wrist leash, well, how did we cope before. I actually stitched some in this year!

I also love the look of the Leki poles, on the list for next year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
endoman wrote:
Cos then I can, if wanted, take piccies etc , get a snack from pocket, my son is Captain Faff, and has taught me well! Gloves with the wrist leash, well, how did we cope before. I actually stitched some in this year!

Ah right, I tend not to bother with that, or if I do it's generally when the lift is quiet and I just lay poles on my lap.
ski holidays
I used to be a cool kid til I jammed my pole and snapped it getting off fnar. I'll be cool when on an empty chair.
snow report
What...
poles that weigh in at about 2 grams then carry a lock around with you?
I've had a pair of Goode carbon poles since 1993, I looked after them by leaving them apart outside restaurants.
All went well ...but a couple of years ago I forgot to pop them in the ski bag. So they languished in a Hotel in Soll.

But now I have a set of Leki's ... Smile
I suppose now I'll have worry about where I leave them Confused

I'm with you @Steilhang straps .... something to phaaf about.
snow conditions
@sparklies, ....er....not worry about it.....
snow conditions
@sparklies, Enjoy your poles Very Happy
ski holidays
@sparklies, had a pair of Leki trigger grips for about 10 years now. I've always just left them with the skis. Ten years on and I still have a whole pair. I wouldn't worry about it. Mind you, they're the old fashioned system, pre Trigger S, so maybe nobody would want to nick them anymore?
ski holidays
I have invisible poles. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
You just need to get over the whole thing. Us snowboarders manage perfectly well without them.
ski holidays
We boarders find other things to faff with. Bindings... Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks all!

I actually quite like the idea of sticking cable ties on.. but I may just go for the even simpler drag them in with me..!
ski holidays
never locked a pair of skis, let alone poles, in 35 years of skiing and never had some nicked or had anyone I've been skiing lose a pair. I have known people manage to swap for the wrong pair of rentals.
I'm sometimes a little cautious about where i stash them if I'm on something particularly shiny and expensive or - for example - I'm at the base where an opportunist you just throw them in a car but aren't people worrying a bit much about this?
ski holidays
sparklies wrote:
Thanks all!

I actually quite like the idea of sticking cable ties on.. but I may just go for the even simpler drag them in with me..!

Has the advantage of being weapons to threaten misbehaving, out of arm reach, children with Twisted Evil
latest report
GrosPierre wrote:
@Steilhang

2 reasons, the trigger-S system adds to the cost of the poles. If you're not going to use the straps, you're better off using standard poles which will be cheaper. Not using the straps impairs your ability to apply pressure on the poles when planting them. This leads to less efficient turns, particularly on steep terrain (this is part of the reason why there is a "better way" to put the straps on with regular poles - the other reason being to reduce injuries. See https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/ski-pole-straps.53905/)
There are excellent reasons not to use straps when off piste*, and I have always had guides tell me to do that. I've gotten so used to not using them off piste that I basically never bother with them on piste any more. I don't agree about the pressure aspect. I don't have any problems with that. Each to his own.
Of course if you don't use straps then there is no point in buyng expensive Trigger S poles!

*I.e the last thing you want in an avalanche situation is to have a ski pole impair your access to the airbag release and also you really don't want to have a pole attached to you when you are getting buried.
snow report
tomj wrote:
We boarders find other things to faff with. Bindings... Toofy Grin

Ain't that the truth!

Although on flat sections I have been known to grab Mrs B's pole (sounds wrong) and punt along
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiliegs is one of the finest skiers I have skied with (albeit many years ago). Following her comments, I stopped wearing the straps, and have had no problems.

skilegs wrote:
... I think it is FAR safer to ski without straps. I would rather lose a pole than a thumb. My son damaged both thumbs very badly a couple of weeks ago and even though he is a very experienced skier, he just won't take Mum's advice, even now!! Apart from hanging them on your skis as laundryman says I simply cannot justify the use of straps. If you are ever unlucky enough to be in an avalanche I very much doubt in the heat of the moment you would remember to take off your straps plus avalanches do happen on piste. IMHO there is absolutely no need to use them unlike the seatbelt. Martin Epp, the Swiss guide, always said the first thing you do when you buy new poles is cut off the straps. If you are advised not to use straps off piste, then why use them on piste??
snow conditions
@Steilhang

Quote:

I.e the last thing you want in an avalanche situation is to have a ski pole impair your access to the airbag release and also you really don't want to have a pole attached to you when you are getting buried.

Thanks for clarifying that. I hadn't thought of it. I have to admit that whenever I ski off piste (which is often) I do not have any AVI kit (yes I know it's bad) so that hasn't occurred to me. The pressure aspect is to do with mechanics and which muscles you use but obviously you can get use to a different way of applying the pressure (and when you ski steep terrain, poles become a lot more important.) On the piste, though, avalanches are a lot less likely to happen but if you've got used to skiing without straps then no need for them. I don't buy the "it will save your thumbs" argument though as I've yet to damage my thumbs because of the straps.
ski holidays
The OP wrote:
Expensive poles. Restaurant. What to do?

Starve, worry or go to Decathlon.

Locking up your poles is the epitomy of joylessness.

HTH.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
You just need to get over the whole thing. Us snowboarders manage perfectly well without them.

Not really. The number of boarders I have seen trying to punt along on a borrowed pole...
ski holidays
Quote:

Starve, worry or go to Decathlon.

Locking up your poles is the epitomy of joylessness

Inclined the agree with this. I’ve only ever once had poles (with guards) stolen and I just replaced them. Not going to stop me leaving them anywhere. Chances of it happening are so slim anyway
ski holidays
@moseyp, does anyone know how ski thieves operate? Do they just throw the skis on their shoulder and take off?
ski holidays
I had poles (and skis) stolen in Meribel. The poles were bent and the skis had chipped topsheets and one broken binding so would have been worthless for resale. In hindsight, there was someone hanging around near where I left them fiddling with their boots.

I often ski around with another pair on my shoulders and have never been challenged by anyone so it would be easy for a thief to do the same.
snow report
@rjs, I ask because I saw someone leaving a restaurant last week on what looked like 30m skis, they went to make a turn and just collapsed onto the inside ski and flopped onto the ground and I wondered had they robbed them because they couldn’t have been skiing around on them like that
ski holidays
Anywhere in France - take em with you or lock them
Anywhere else (Austria/Switzerland) dont worry . . .

I've got carbon poles but they're adjustable so potentially even more nickable as they'd suit anyone height wise . . .benefit is I can collapse them and put them on the table / strap them to my pack at lunch so I don't feel such a plonker . . .anyone who gives me funny looks (mainly Germans) are just jealous as they've obviously got pikey rental poles and are significantly poorer skiers in both technique and bank balance than myself . . .obviously
ski holidays
I lost a set of very nice poles many years ago in Austria. They pushed over the ski rack and in the ensuing carnage grabbed a load of skis and poles.
snow conditions
what advantage does super duper expensive poles give you over a bog standard pole.
latest report
moseyp wrote:
@moseyp, does anyone know how ski thieves operate? Do they just throw the skis on their shoulder and take off?

Depends what type of thief. A lot of "theft" is actually dopey mofos not knowing what their own hire skis look like (@pigeondave?). Organised froggy gangs will do a smash n grab with a Renault Cargo on a convenient ski rack in town. Less organised opportunists may help themselves to a free upgarde on the basis of being able to deploy the mistake defence if collared.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy