Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort with easy runs which aren't roads

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for suggestions of resorts where there are slopes with really shallow gradients which aren't roads - nice wide pistes. Similar to the Sources/Verdons area of Courchevel.

This is for an intermediate boarder who gets freaked out on narrow roads but wants to spend some time getting their confidence back and improving technique on slopes where they won't pick up too much speed.

TIA!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VodkaSorbet wrote:

This is for an intermediate boarder who gets freaked out on narrow roads but wants to spend some time getting their confidence back and improving technique on slopes where they won't pick up too much speed.

TIA!

then they are not intermediate!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK, beginner++ (not nursery-sloper). I thought someone who could handle red runs was an intermediate.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alta badia in the Dolomites, especially area above the villages of Corvara, San Cassiano and La Villa

Seiser Alm plateau in the Dolomites

Cervinia
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Gets?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Super-Morzine sector of Avoriaz / Morzine - very little danger of picking up any speed there.
Procolu, Serrasaix, Tetras, Zorre, Lil Stash etc...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpe d'Huez, the main bowl above/around the town is very gentle with many wide runs (Piste Map).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with Alta Badia. San Cassiano, La Villa, Corvara or Colfosco. Lots of wide easy blues with occasional red if you want. No narrow roads to negotiate.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VodkaSorbet, most resorts will have a selection of runs you describe, although sometimes may be tricker runs to get to or from them! The bowl above Vallandry is ideal for confidence building, as are many of the runs in Arc 2000 bowl.

May well be worth a private lesson to help with technique and advice?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been banging on about it recently but that really is Kopaonik - loads of fairly narrow but very shallow gradient runs, nothing extreme or unexpected unless you get onto the blacks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
... - loads of fairly narrow but very shallow gradient runs, ...

The OP is looking for something wide - around 100m across. If happy to return to the Trois Vallees, something like the Altiport area above Meribel
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what...snow wrote:
Agree with Alta Badia. San Cassiano, La Villa, Corvara or Colfosco. Lots of wide easy blues with occasional red if you want. No narrow roads to negotiate.
The descent into La Villa is not for the nervous. Red or black, both lovely runs, but steep in places.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Plagne
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any resort + a good instructor.

What you described is a bigginer without much experience and skills
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@VodkaSorbet, What you are describing can be found in many ski stations. The problem, as others have suggested, can be accessing those runs. For instance, we were in Val G this year and thought that Seiser Alm would be perfect for my wife, who is a beginner. There are probably two-dozen wide easy runs, but you need to navigate at least two red chutes to get to them. I would say that a beginner who can sideslip or hockey stop could pull it off.

The idea to find a private instructor is a good one. They will assess your skills, help you improve, and take you down runs that you can handle, then you can repeat them endlessly...
ski holidays
VodkaSorbet wrote:
OK, beginner++ (not nursery-sloper). I thought someone who could handle red runs was an intermediate.

Well, that wouldn't be a bad basic description but it sounds like it doesn't match the description of your boarder friend - "really shallow gradients" does not equal red runs.

As others have said many resorts can offer up the sort of runs that might be suitable but you would have thought they would progress beyond those runs after a day or two anyway. Sounds like there is a backdrop to the story re: "getting their confidence back".
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, If staying in La Villa I’d suggest maybe going down in the gondola. But that first slope in the morning would be fantastic. A very wide easy blue. Easyish blues ever onward after that. The only narrow tracks I remember are the blue alternatives to reddish slopes at the top of Col Alt and Biok (very short). Getting back to La Villa, you can avoid most of the red by coming from Bamby/La Fraina but I didn’t do the blue that joins these areas so I don’t know how narrow it gets. 15 is reasonably wide to get there, as are both the reds.

Don’t remember any cat tracks in Supermorzine-Avoriaz but a long time since I’ve been there. Morzine-Les Gets side might be better. Both have more reds and are generally steeper than Alta Badia though.

The blue down the Sodlisia chair at Colfosco is immensely wide and easy. I didn’t go up Edelweiss so I don’t know how it is up there. Not sure about Corvara as base, would have to use:
1) Costa de l’Ega chairlift and run back fine but to go anywhere - either a narrow twisty busy track through the village for Col Alt gondola or the button tow! Not sure this snowboarder would enjoy either.

2)Boe gondola takes you to red runs, none particularly narrow but definitely red.

3)Borest gondola takes you to Colfosco. Might as well stay there.

So maybe the answer is Colfosco!

There are plenty of resorts where you have to use narrow cat tracks to get around. Just off the top of my head I remember them in resorts as varied as La Tania, Courchevel 1650, Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Chamonix, Les Contamines, Ruka and Soll. Harder to remember the resorts that don’t have any.
ski holidays
Avoriaz would be a good option. Has a good set of super-wide blues looping the Lac-Intrets chair and can be reach without road-runs by either walking through Avoriaz (if staying there) or by taking the bus and Prodains gondola up and down (if staying in Morzine).

Ischgl also has a good number of super-wide blues around the Idalp bowl and wide ones around the Alp Trida bowl. Idalp is directly served by two of the gondolas out of town and Alp Trida's one chair out of Idalp.
snow report
VodkaSorbet wrote:
Looking for suggestions of resorts where there are slopes with really shallow gradients which aren't roads - nice wide pistes. Similar to the Sources/Verdons area of Courchevel.

In France, I think it's hard to beat Courchevel 1850 for this.
latest report
There are plenty of runs in Les Arcs that do not involve roads. La plagne also offers lots of decent blues to cruise. You then have the benefit of working on a few wide reds or venturing further when the confidence has increased on local slopes.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the tips.

They have been with a private instructor for a day (~4 hours) who took them on red runs for the first time (instructor's idea, so must have thought technique was OK), and subsequently did some more with us. However they are uncomfortable with speed and don't want to get into the habit of braking all the time (rather than linking turns) by going on runs which feel too steep.

However comfortable you are on wide (steep) pistes this is still a different kettle of fish to narrow roads, especially on a board, hence wanting to practise technique and get comfortable making smaller turns in an easier setting.
snow conditions
I know nothing about snowboarding other watching t'other half and kids but is this fear of gathering speed a new thing in that they seemed ok with the instructor? A few years ago, an beginner /intermediate skier friend was had a week of unexpected freaks on more tricky blue and red slopes - turns out that a lingering cold had developed into labyrinthitis which seriously affected her perception of her speed and orientation around the slopes like not feeling able to assess the speeds and direction of those around her. Could that be an issue?
snow report
@VodkaSorbet, sorry to be a picky about this but it's relevant in the context of your opening question. Turning is in effect braking. If I just straightline down a steep slope I will soon be up to an uncomfortable and unsafe speed. I control my speed by turning. In tune with the gradient I can make shallower turns (less braking) or sharper turns (more braking). If the slope is wide I can make long or short turns, if it is narrower I can only make shorter turns. Ski runs will contain a variety of gradients and widths aswell as other features - often on the same run. And there is no definitive way to grade ski runs - hence people questioning them. And that is before the variable of the snow, visibility, etc. is taken into account. So I think you are effectively on a hiding to nothing trying to accommodate your friend. Most resorts will have a couple of pistes, if not many, were your friend can practice "making smaller turns in an easier setting" but you won't find a resort where that is that is the only type of piste or that indeed you can get to and from that piste without having to navigate other terrain. On top of which if after a couple of days they don't progress on to a bigger variety of slopes then I fear more instruction may be required.
latest report
FastCarver74 wrote:
La Plagne
+1
ski holidays
what...snow wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman, If staying in La Villa I’d suggest maybe going down in the gondola. But that first slope in the morning would be fantastic. A very wide easy blue. Easyish blues ever onward after that. The only narrow tracks I remember are the blue alternatives to reddish slopes at the top of Col Alt and Biok (very short). Getting back to La Villa, you can avoid most of the red by coming from Bamby/La Fraina but I didn’t do the blue that joins these areas so I don’t know how narrow it gets. 15 is reasonably wide to get there, as are both the reds.

Don’t remember any cat tracks in Supermorzine-Avoriaz but a long time since I’ve been there. Morzine-Les Gets side might be better. Both have more reds and are generally steeper than Alta Badia though.

The blue down the Sodlisia chair at Colfosco is immensely wide and easy. I didn’t go up Edelweiss so I don’t know how it is up there. Not sure about Corvara as base, would have to use:
1) Costa de l’Ega chairlift and run back fine but to go anywhere - either a narrow twisty busy track through the village for Col Alt gondola or the button tow! Not sure this snowboarder would enjoy either.

2)Boe gondola takes you to red runs, none particularly narrow but definitely red.

3)Borest gondola takes you to Colfosco. Might as well stay there.

So maybe the answer is Colfosco!

Blue beneath Sodlisia chair would be perfect to learn technique on a shallow slope especially the section towards the left next to the drag lift. Blue from Edelweiss is nice and wide and a bit more steeper, a perfect progresion slope but I would avoid from mid day onwards if the weather is warm, as it catches the sun and it can get quite soft.

The costa de l'ega chairlift and run down to col alto gondola is mainly used for that purpose - to get to Col Alta gondola. Or you can simpy walk to the gondola. I'm sure virtually any skier/boarder can manage this short narrow section

Agree Colfosco would be an ideal place to stay but I find its just a bit too inconvenient to get to the area above Corvara/La villa etc. You would have to make sure you were back in time to get the gondola back to Colfosco. And I cant imagine anyone would want to ski for a whole week in Colfosco only. As good as the slopes are, I think the op would eventually need a few more challenging slopes to learn/perfect technique.
ski holidays
I definitely relate to the request here - as a relatively new boarder, I found roads scary, as you have to go from the type of turns and boarding you're used to (generally looking up hill, turn, looking down) to going straight. I found it very easy to catch an edge and wipe out.

May not suit everyone, but as roads are generally flattish, I found the only way to cope was to go quicker and learn how to do the shorter turns and be confident with the board being flat. SO can fully understand why you'd want an area to practice in.

Ultimately is a mixture of manning up and just doing roads until you're happy and also having lessons to make sure the technique is up to scratch
snow report
La Plagne is an interesting recommendation, most often it is NOT recommended for boarders as it is quite flat in the central areas, indeed a couple of runs have rope tows at the side to help the boarders along and to cross La Plagne Centre most boarders unclip and walk, boarders are quite a minority in La Plagne I guess because of this, although I have had to tow a boarding friend in quite a few places in Les Arcs!
However; the OP's request where there are slopes with really shallow gradients which aren't roads is indeed answered by La Plagne and Les Arcs snowHead
latest report
@jimmybog, ‘I find its just a bit too inconvenient to get to the area above Corvara/La villa etc.’

Is it not more convenient to carry on over Dantercepies into the Gardena Valley? I’m not sure how steep those runs are as I was in a busy cabin going up there and too late to ski down. There are 2 flat lifts in the area that obviously mean no ski for the time spent in the lift but I used them both and they are only a quick 5-10mins in a moving seat. I didn’t find them a chore. Worth it for the fabulous scenery.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
what...snow wrote:
@jimmybog, ‘I find its just a bit too inconvenient to get to the area above Corvara/La villa etc.’

Is it not more convenient to carry on over Dantercepies into the Gardena Valley? I’m not sure how steep those runs are as I was in a busy cabin going up there and too late to ski down. There are 2 flat lifts in the area that obviously mean no ski for the time spent in the lift but I used them both and they are only a quick 5-10mins in a moving seat. I didn’t find them a chore. Worth it for the fabulous scenery.

I would say they are quite steep over Dantercepies, compared to the reds back to Colfosco. For an intermediate skier this wouldnt be an issue but for someone looking to avoid steeper slopes, I think they potentially would cause an issue.

I do see your point re staying in Colfosco and i think for a total begginner or even a 1 week skier, it would be ideal. Yes the Borest gondola is not that far but you need to make sure your back to it from Corvara in good time, otherwise your looking at having to get the post bus back.

I think for me, i liked staying in Corvara as I could ski back to the village at any time (within reason) stopping at the Boconara or Capanna Nera huts on the way down and not having to be concerned about catching a gondola down/back before it closes. On the other hand if you choose your location right in Colfosco, you can almost ski back to your hotel/accomodation with ease and you can experience the Edelwiess apres hut and ski back down. I suppose really, either choice would be good.

p.s. just read your San Cassiano report. Fantastic!!
latest report
ecureuil wrote:
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
... - loads of fairly narrow but very shallow gradient runs, ...

The OP is looking for something wide - around 100m across. If happy to return to the Trois Vallees, something like the Altiport area above Meribel

Sorry, you are quite right. I didn't read the question properly. I took "roads" to mean like "motorway pistes" which are big wide pistes in my world. Ignore me Very Happy In that case I'd recommend looking at Italian dolomite resorts, they seem to have quite a few wide, almost always beautifully flat, not to steep pistes due to the shape of their mountains.
snow conditions
Obergurgl and especially Hochgurgl. Plenty of wide stuff and nothing too tricky. Plenty of cable cars and options to download to avoid resort runs.
Cervinia,as others have suggested is a good bet.
That said both are quite high so if you go early season you risk problematic weather.
It'd be a waste to go to a massive mega resort, I'd suggest. Avoid Wengen, it's not ideal for snowboarders.
ski holidays
what...snow wrote:

No Dantercepies from the top are red/black, some of the reds are terribly hard but they get scraped off easily. One Val G area with tons of easy wide blues/even greens is Plan Gralba. In fact, that would suit very well as you can do laps on wide, empty blues all day long. (except half term, of course)
ski holidays
Alpes'd Huez! Absolutely the best for beginner++ types! There is even an easy snow park, which is an actual beginner park, not pretending to be one but sticking an XS sign on huuuge jumps, like others do xD
Learning small tricks can really help with general cruising around.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy