Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk to me about Valmeinier and Snowcoach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, in desperation to get ski ing at half term, saw that snowcoach are doing a short break to Valmeinier in the French alps. Wondered if anyone has any views or info on this resort? Me and my partner are pretty fair weather ski ers who like to cruise around on blues and easy reds looking for nice lunch spots to eat. Also seems that the other choice would be St Gervais, so any advice or info about that resort would be much appreciated. Thanks all in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went there with Snowcoach yonks ago. The chalet hotel wasn't terrific but it was exceptionally convenient for the Valmeinier skiing. At that point the link to Valloire (much more skiing over there) was a bit awkward but I think it's much improved these days. I think it would suit you very well. St Gervais is a very pleasant town but the skiing quite a lot less convenient - I've not been to the Snowcoach place in St Gervais but IIRC there are some critical comments here on SHs somewhere. There are certainly lots of enthusiastic reports on recent trips to Valloire.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w,
Thanks Pam, we have been on the coach before to Morzine and though it worked out quite well, so thinking of coaching it again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went to Valloire over Xmas, and I wrote up a short trip report. I think that Valmenier would be a quite acceptable place. As I wrote, the bad weather and our kids' lesson schedule prevented me from going there from Valloire, but the link is easy enough. It's a beautiful part of the Alps. There are indeed lots of cruisy blues and reds; if the Valmenier pistes are like Valloire, and I think they are, then it should be perfect. Be aware that Valmenier is a purpose built ski station whereas Valloire is a "real" town.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pasigal, thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate the info thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've stayed at the Snowcoach hotel in St. Gervais on many occasions (this year will be 9th year) and i've always had a good time. The hotel is located in Le Fayet which is a short minibus ride away to the main lift which means no late starts.(public transport is available if a lie in is needed) The Evasion ski pass covers St.Gervais,Megeve and Les Contamines so plenty of varied slopes. You can also get on the tramway from outside the hotel to ski in Les Houches... Snowcoach will sort out a swap on the lift pass for you. I couldn't say how busy the whole area is over half term though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Search for snowcoach reviews which are mixed. They used to be amazing, with very loyal customers and brilliant atmoaphere. Then they went bad and staff practicLly mutinied. We gave up on them because whilst they were great value they had very poor customer service at times. The coach can be terrifying in bad weather.

Valmenier is pretty soulless and the hotel was overrun with drunk idiots when we went. Very convenient and nice slopes though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Valmenier is good, and Valorie link is easy
Enjoy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Valmeineir is great, we have a place there so I know it well. The link to valloire and back is easy. I think snowcoach stay at the eagle hotel which is centrally located in the main village. IMHO the best restaurants are in the upper village at valmeinier 1900. Lots if snow at the moment and most of the skiing is above 2000m so you should be ok on that front. Enjoy!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ps compared to Tignes or Les Menuires the purpose built village of Valmeinier is very easy on the eye.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went to Valmeinier many years ago with Snowcoach, but the snow was poor and we were bussed to Valloire most days which was fine. Heavy rain destroyed the snow at Valmeinier. Our (very large) group stayed at the Aigle, decent enough hotel in the resort centre. The staff joined in our fancy dress night! It had an outdoor hot tub too, iirc. One day we did an away trip to Val Thorens and the bus dropped us at Orelle.

However the coach journey from the UK and back took forever and was sooooooo uncomfortable, I'd never do that again!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did the short half term trip about 4 years ago. It was great! Granted as didn’t sleep a wink on the coach, but that’s my problem - Jnr and the OH slept like logs all night both ways. The hotel is a bit tired but perfectly acceptable. The food was good.

Access to skiing was brilliant. About a 50m walk. The ski area is a decent size, perfect for a 4 day trip. The area was relatively quiet too. There didn’t seem to be much going on in Valmeinier though it was very quiet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've done Valmeinier and don't forget Valoir the other side of the valley on a number of occasions including the last two years. Sorry if this reply is too late. I have absolutely no complaints with Snowcoach for the money. The most value for money people I have been with. The hotel is fine. I go to ski, not party. Almost straight onto the lift. Medical centre right next door which I had to make use of last year and was grateful for it being so close.

Snowcoach offer ski guiding so very good for solo skiers to get on with others, and you can save the £100 supplement for a single room if you opt to share with someone else (but in all the time i have done this I have not had to share). Food is OK and lots of free wine. Had a problem about 10 years ago when the chef walked out in a hissy, but I have seen worse problems with other tour operators. Not bad in 25 years of going with them.

Snowcoach now use an Irish coach firm which is an improvement on their previous ones. Up to date and quite comfortable. They will organise flying or you can self drive, but I have always coached with them. You get the two extra days of skiing over flying. I catch the coach at Watford, getting straight on the coach, no faffing about, no bother with luggage and skis and such. Leave my car in the Hotel carpark for £40. Easy peasy!

I think they have creches and entertainment for the kids at half term but you'd better check on that. They have heir own equipment to rent and tekkies to fit your boots etc. I have always found the staff very enthusiastic.

I would always recommend Snowcoach, particularly if you are trying skiing for the first time. Also to say that I meet many of the same people every year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy