Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights to Ljubljana next week, hire car booked. Where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
We will be bringing our mountain bikes and skis/board for a 9 day trip from Saturday and would like to explore! Any recommendations for places to stay? I would definitely like to slide on some Slovenian snow but the resorts look limited in size and so we are thinking of also travelling to Austria and Italy. Heading towards the Med would for a few days would probably be best for MTBing at this time of year too and if the snow conditions are good, some guide recommendations for some off-piste would be great as well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.bergfex.com/bovec-kanin/

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Bovec

Austria - Nassfeld, Arnoldstein
Italy - Sella Nevea, Tarvisio, Ravascletto
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 bovec........ Maribor is pretty cool, although you would be heading away from the med.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Krvavec

Closest ski resort to an airport anywhere in Europe.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bovec is Narnia
Did they ever re-open the Kanin lifts there? I think that was useful to access some of the best back country skiing in Europe, on the Italian side of the resort?

Maribor dunno if that'd be best for skiing or MTBing right now? Nice Cake Hotel there Smile

Mezica/Jamnica was good for MTBing, and there's somewhere very nearby on the Austrian side of the border too. Must be good if the Enduro series goes there. Stayed at the hotel run by the guy that built all the trails, but that was before the trails were finished. MTBing 10 levels below ground level thru an old lead mine was fun.

Would have thought Kranjska Gora for skiing, or Krvavec, which is so close to the airport it's a local bus or taxi ride.
Never skied in Slovenia before, so can't help much - only been there for MTBing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the replies. Lots of options here! I'll keep an eye on the weather, it would be great to get Bovec/Sella Nevea with some fresh snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed in Bovec last month and skied Kanin (the gondola is running again but shuts down with a hint of wind; I had to drive around to Sella Nevea). It's a serious mountain with big-time terrain. There was also a massive amount of snow.

Bovec has a real counter-culture outdoors vibe, but is pretty dead in winter. Summer is the high season as rafting and kayaking are the main draws.

The guide I was with at Kanin said Vogel is also has good terrain, but I didn't make it there.

I also did a day at Tarvisio. It's a family resort but has some pretty interesting tree skiing that nobody touches. Seeing the hilltop village is reason enough to go there. And again, tons and tons of snow this year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many thanks. All three on my radar. Was hoping to head there this winter, but alas no.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well so far I have experienced Gerlitzen and Tarvisio in the sun. Vast amounts of snow, even down to around 700m in Italy and Tarvisio really is very pretty. Not much left in the way of easy to find fresh tracks but there is a hell of a weather front incoming so that should change into the weekend. Unfortunately the freezing level and winds look too high for Kanin to be any good so will probably head up into the main Alpine ridge in Austria. Wicked MTBing and coffee and wine in Friuli in the meantime...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@leggyblonde, Lake Bled is stunning, hilltop castle over a lake, like something from a Disney animation.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dode, Bled was a lunch stop on day one. Some backdrop for a local cream cake!

We headed to Heilingenblut Grossglockner for the weekend as the forecast for fresh snow looked good up high and the drive not too sketchy from Faedis. Woke up on Saturday to what was supposed to be rain at town level and it was dumping! Headed up on a surprisingly empty first lift and got boot to knee deep powder on piste, deeper off but vis was pretty much non-existent. It snowed on and off for the whole day and on Sunday too. Finally the Sun started to poke through on Sunday afternoon opening up more opportunities for make fresh tracks and Insta-worthy photos

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhCqAJiD02v/?taken-by=glowphil

In summary it's a great "little" resort. Not many lifts or pistes but a huge amount of easily accessible varied high Alpine terrain and it wasn't busy, even in the Austrian holidays.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@leggyblonde, missed this thread or I would have suggested Vogel. Not a big resort, but some lovely runs, including the one back down to the bottom (if open). I was there when you began this thread and had fresh snow every day. Been there twice now on off-piste courses and love the place.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ray Zorro, we were also considering Vogel for the end of the trip but the forecasts were for lots of rain. Looks like we have unfinished business with Slovenia! Considering how cheap it is, I'm sure we will be back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
leggyblonde wrote:
@dode, Bled was a lunch stop on day one. Some backdrop for a local cream cake!

We headed to Heilingenblut Grossglockner for the weekend as the forecast for fresh snow looked good up high and the drive not too sketchy from Faedis. Woke up on Saturday to what was supposed to be rain at town level and it was dumping! Headed up on a surprisingly empty first lift and got boot to knee deep powder on piste, deeper off but vis was pretty much non-existent. It snowed on and off for the whole day and on Sunday too. Finally the Sun started to poke through on Sunday afternoon opening up more opportunities for make fresh tracks and Insta-worthy photos

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhCqAJiD02v/?taken-by=glowphil

In summary it's a great "little" resort. Not many lifts or pistes but a huge amount of easily accessible varied high Alpine terrain and it wasn't busy, even in the Austrian holidays.

Looks magic

https://www.bergfex.com/skiheiligenblut/

snow report
@Mike Pow, the back of the piste map also splits the mountain into freeride areas with a description of each one.
ski holidays
leggyblonde wrote:
@Mike Pow, the back of the piste map also splits the mountain into freeride areas with a description of each one.

👍 😁
ski holidays
I considered a stop in Heiligenblut on my trip but opted for Obertilliach instead. Looks like I made the wrong decision.

@Mike Pow, or anybody else for that matter, Kanin should definitely be on your radar for big mountain skiing off the main tourist trail. Bovec is the far more attractive base, but as @leggyblonde seems to have concluded, the gondola often gets shut by the wind. Sella Nevea on the Italian side always opens, but it is seriously bleak.

As far as guides, my accommodation arranged one for me at an unbelievable cost.

It's a special corner of the alps.
ski holidays
ami in berlin wrote:
I considered a stop in Heiligenblut on my trip but opted for Obertilliach instead. Looks like I made the wrong decision.

@Mike Pow, or anybody else for that matter, Kanin should definitely be on your radar for big mountain skiing off the main tourist trail. Bovec is the far more attractive base, but as @leggyblonde seems to have concluded, the gondola often gets shut by the wind. Sella Nevea on the Italian side always opens, but it is seriously bleak.

As far as guides, my accommodation arranged one for me at an unbelievable cost.

It's a special corner of the alps.

Was hoping to make it there this season. Unfortunately not.

Next winter 👍
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy