Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems with car renting-useful contact

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had a problem with Hertz in Corsica last year.
Chaos on arrival with a queue of people waiting to collect cars. My turn came and I was asked to pay an extra 85 euros "local tax". It was not the time to argue as the agitated receptionist would have merely not let me have the car !!! So I kept the receipt and off we went. On returning the car I confirmed with the employee that accepted the car that everything was ok (in French) and he confirmed, no problem. Two days later upon checking my credit card, an additional 54 euros had been taken ...so an extra 139 euros all told.
Long story short, I complained to Atlas Choice (with whom I had booked through moneysupermarket), but they tried to wash their hands of it. I contacted Hertz direct, no joy.
No one was able to explain the two charges. At one stage Hertz said it was a "tourist tax" and then later CWD (for which I'd already paid on the booking). No one ever explained the second charge ( I was careful to return the car in a clean condition) !!!
After about 10 emails (as I was a bit like a dog with a bone!!) I found the European Car Rental Reconciliation Service.
I reported my problem to them and within a week it was sorted including contact from Atlas Choice (who had previously tried to ignore me). No explanation of the extra fee charges, but an apology from Hertz and 139 euros refunded.
It was obviously a scam at Acaccio airport with the local Hertz franchise !!

The email is: ecrcs@ecrcs.eu

As there's been many posts on car rental problems I thought this contact would useful to fellow snowheads, as this group/contact does not seem to have been mentioned.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I hired at Salzburg recently and was given a list of the marks on the car and told to come back to the desk if I didn't agree with the diagram. There were 3 huge scratches and 2 gouges down to the metal, about 3 inches long, all next to each other on the bonnet. The omission of these must have been deliberate. I photo'd them and went back to the desk - The man in charge said to just write them on MY sheet. I asked to write them on THEIR heet as well but he said it would all be ok. I took a photo of my sheet alongside a photo of the boss. Although I had purchased cover in this country i really felt they were trying to scam me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had a similar problem in Sardina one summer about 10 years ago. We booked a car through Atlas Choice to pick up at Alghero airport. Can't remember the actual name of the car rental company now, but when we arrived at the desk we were told they had no record of the booking through Atlas Choice, even though I had printed out reference number etc. They then told us that they had no cars left, but by sheer coincidence, the bloke behind the counter told us that his brother-in-law, who had a car rental "company" just outside of the airport, had a car we could rent. We rang Atlas from the airport and explained the problem, they said they had reserved it and had proof, the car rental company said they hadn't. Atlas told us to find alternative car rental and they would refund it. Given the lack of choice of car rental companies at the time we had no choice but to rent the car from this guys "brother-in-law". The "company" was nothing more than a porta cabin by the exit at the airport. We ended up hiring a very old, dirty and battered Fiat Panda for an extortionate price. Atlas did in the end refund as promised. We have been ripped off by OK car rental in Majorca as well. Always try and book direct now with one of the more reputable rental companies like Avis or Hertz and so far, touch wood, we have never had any problems.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lambert, This is very helpful information. Thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Frosty the Snowman, which company at salzburg?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, Megadrive
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Frosty the Snowman, interesting. I never had a problem with them but last time when I signed I wrote car unseen and he crossed it out saying i had to come back if therev was a problem and basically was saying you want the car then suck it up. The time before they offered a chargeable upgrade which i refused...and the car i was getting anyway was the upgraded car. It wont stop me hiring from them but will have my wits about me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, It is a pain to go back to the office and i am sure that will put some off as the wait was bad enough to start with when collecting. i also took loads of photos of the car on return as there was no return check carried out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lambert, Thank you!

In case it helps any one. When I booked a car in Italy I did it through ADAC, although I am a member you don`t have to be. They give you a letter in 3 languages, yours, German and the country you are renting in which basically says treat this customer well or deal with the might of ADAC lol. Because we wanted 2 drivers (which is a standard term) it worked out very little less than any other quote I could get.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
... last time when I signed I wrote car unseen and he crossed it out saying i had to come back if therev was a problem and basically was saying you want the car then suck it up. The time before they offered a chargeable upgrade which i refused...and the car i was getting anyway was the upgraded car. It wont stop me hiring from them but will have my wits about me.

I had precisely that first thing with one of the majors in Canada the other month. I signed it with the text that I had not seen it, as I don't pay for CDW things. I feel that means I'm not responsible for the condition, as they have no evidence of what it was. The con-man agreed with me, as he would not accept that and sent a man out with me to inspect the car. I took full photographs of the car, which had plenty of scratches on it. I made sure the chap saw me, and that he documented every scratch, and I laughed that if I did damage it and have to pay for a repair I'd be wanting it put back in precisely the state I found it. I guess they marked me as a "hard target" and picked on someone else. To me this is attempted theft and should be a criminal offence.

I do not believe they can "make you" sign for something you've not seen: that'd never stand up in court.

The upgrade thing is standard practice I think. I never take any extras at the collection point, and yet I still get "upgraded" vehicles quite a lot. If they offer an upgrade, you know they have it available... you don't know if you're going to get it for free if you decline.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, +1
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I make a point of hovering over the return clerk with my 3 sons (18,17,15) until I get the signed chit with the words "No additional Charges" writ large upon it.
If they are slow to comply I encourage the boys to "play" with things around the office and counter, such as piles of paperwork, SatNavs, promotional pens, the watercooler and cups, piles of baby seats etc, and generally be a PITA until the clerk starts playing ball.
On 2 occasions there have been follow on charges, which have been very swiftly returned once I reported them to the VISA fraud team as fraudulent transactions with a copy of the signed chit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks OP.

I hired last summer in trepidation from Goldcar in Gibraltar (who are very cheap). The internet is FULL of really bad stories about them. They were charming, helpful and tried no funny business. The wheel trims were destroyed and not marked on the condition report, with some pressure chap agreed to mark it but said we were wasting our time. Upon return (to a different place) they did not inspect the wheeltrims.

And my Mini Metro (or whatever it was) was upgraded to a Qashgai (sp?) which was frankly a bit big for the narrow streets of the Spanish towns.

I always buy third party damage waiver insurance from whatever is cheapest here. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire Did have to leave a £1000 credit card deposit with Goldcar, but I always feel with credit cards that you're pretty safe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
some good basic tips here

http://www.ecrcs.eu/guidance-info.aspx
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy