Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best goggles for snow/heavy cloud/low light conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced set of goggles for low light / heavy cloud / snow conditions? I've got a pair of "all round" orange-tinted Oakleys, but find that they are not brilliant in poor conditions as I think the VLT % is still quite low. I've trawled through loads of online retail sites but very few of them specify the lens category, never mind the VLT. And very few let you filter by category, so I've ended up looking through every pair. I was hoping to spend no more than £70 as I don't think I'll end up wearing them very often.

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Change the lenses not the goggles
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MontyP, ^^ this.

Don't know if you can get a lens for your oakley model, depends on age/ model I guess but you should be able to pick up a high yellow lens for £30 ish new or eBay?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, they are a couple of years old but not sure which model (and I didn't keep the box of course!). They weren't sold as having interchangeable lenses. How easy is it to change the lenses frequently, or even on a chairlift?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MontyP, I would have a look at the Oakley.com website and try and identify which model you have.

If they are the Airbrake model, then the lense swap can be a 10-15 second affair (made easier if you have someone else to hold/hand the swapped lense to). Many other Oakley models described as easy swap, can take a lot longer, and 2/3 tries to get right.

Many other manufacturers have now gone with magnetic retention systems, which really are seconds to swap lenses.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@MontyP, do you have the receipt, know where you bought them from, etc.

Changing the lenses is easy and can be done on the mountain.

That said they expectations of what "bad light" lenses can do for you, can be too high. I have Oakley A frame goggles with orange tinted lenses. They do help but a whiteout is a whiteout.

I only wear goggles when it's snowing. I prefer sunnies with interchangeable lenses when it's not.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Smith Blue Sensor Mirror lens, in whatever surround you fancy. Brilliant (IMO) in anything low light - much better than Oakley Rose Prizm. Good in changeable to occasional bright too.
Are some pretty cheap deals knocking around on older models sometimes, via Google ( bought a pair recently sub £40 inc p&p. Think they also do a "Yellow" Sensor mirror, though the "Blue" is also mildly yellow to look through.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you want to spend more, I hear good things about the Smith Chromapop low light lens, I believe similar tech to Oakley Prizm.

Impressed that @Grizzler, thought the Blue Sensor better than Prizm as aiui the Prizm is techier. Mind you, much of this is a personal thing.

I have a pair of yellow/gold Uvex’s as my backup pair, which were bought on a crappy day and I’d forgotten or lost my previous ones and they have a most bizarrely god definition for a not very techy lens.

My Smith I/Os still the best goggles I’ve used...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh and Smith give you very detailed specs (ha ha see what I did there?) re VLT, etc on their sight. I mean, site.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, 🤣
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MontyP stick a pic of your goggles up - someone will ID them immediately . I'd say chromapop smith lenses and Oakley Prizm are about the same quality.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All, thanks for the suggestions. I’ll look into whether I can find the Smiths ones at a good price, if not will try and work out which Oakleys I’ve got and go for the alternative lens approach!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Roguevfr, can you give a relative newcomer to the forum a quick "how to" put a photo in a reply?!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy