Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot & binding setup for 80/20 piste/off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, having done a little bit of bootpacking to get to lines, and a trial session touring, I'm thinking about the kit I need to be able to do more away from the lifts. Realistically, I will spend most of my time on piste (with family, or on my own) with 20-30% of my time off piste at best. I'm looking for a setup that enables this, plus also some touring locally if I can find suitable snowy terrain (hills round Gothenburg are small, so only 100M or so vertical at a time.
For bindings, it'll either be a tech toe/alpine heel combo (Kingpin or similar) as I really don't like the feel and weight of frame bindings. I will also not have a super-light ski, and I'd rather avoid heavy ski + heavy binding. The new Salomon Shift is very tempting too - tech up and alpine down makes so much sense if it really works.
Those choices imply I need a boot with tech fittings and a walk mode. However, I'm only little (~65 kg) and not particularly strong so I don't want a macho stiff boot (I currently have Fischer Rc4 110s and if anything they are a tad stiff). I popped into a couple of local ski stores today to see what there was available - not a lot as it's the end of the season - and the best fit was a Tecnica Cochise 120 dyn. They'd need a bit of work (too tight around the mid foot) but heel hold was good and the flex felt surprisingly smooth.

So I'm wondering - can anyone comment other flex of the 120 cochise? Given that my rc4s are on the stiff side for me, I'm wary of going up (nominally) in flex. Comparing flex between brands is notoriously hard.
Also, the cochises have a normal alpine DIN sole which is good in terms of compatibility with my current skis/bindings but am I missing out by not having WTR or gripwalk soles? The boots I had for my intro to touring were dynafit touring boots with rockered soles - a complete revelation in terms of being comfortable to walk in. A freeride boot is never going to be like that, I know, but some rocker might be nice!

Thoughts? Over to the combined wisdom of SHs snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @mgrolf, I got Beast 14s from thepisteoffice at the end of last season plus drill bits etc to mount them (along with the excellent service and advice from Jon which included a template and quite a lot of work looking at the hole pattern from my former bindings).

Had 17 days or so skiing the Beasts this season - offpiste, piste, my lame park jumps with my son, and a couple of short tours from the lifts - and they’ve performed flawlessly. The only issue I’ve been thinking about is the metal heel insert, and how that affects use in normal alpine bindings as I’m thinking of getting some slalom skis for pure piste days. Been reading some threads on TGR about that, and it may not be the end of the world.

I also got some Lange Freetour XT 110 boots from alpingaraget. Super happy with the boots, apart from the ‘walk to ride’ sole which appears to be the Betamax of the sole saga (grip walk being the winner) and isn’t compatible with many alpine bindings.

As you say, the Salomon shift look very interesting.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Themasterpiece, Beasts are an option though I think they're being discontinued? Like you I'm also thinking about a slalom ski for the typical short, often icy pistes I get to ski locally so alpine binding compatibility is important. Did you fit the beast heel inserts yourself?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mgrolf, yes I think they have been discontinued, which means you can pick them up for a good price. Yes, the heel piece is easy to mark, drill and screw in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mgrolf, Go for a boot with swap-able soles so you can have pin and din options. I use my Scarpa SLs in a similar way.

That way you can go for say a Radical 2 binding on more of a touring ski and you are sorted. Rather than a slalom ski, maybe go for a cheat GS ski with a bit more radius ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mgrolf, I've got Beast 14's and have currently got four pairs of skis all quiver killered to take them. They range from 77 to 112 underfoot.

One pair of boots, one pair of bindings and an attempt to cover everything from piste to powder.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy