Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbühel info request from newborn skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys & Girls I have just joined this forum after returning from my first ski holiday and I am well and truly hooked!!!
We went to Kranjska Gora in Slovenia I am already planning a trip to Kitzbühel next year I have chosen this resort as it seems to be recommended for beginners, But suitable accommodation locally seems to be crazy money so we are considering hiring a car & staying a few miles out just wondering if all the roads are kept open around the area?, Please excuse my ignorance but I have never visited this area in winter,
Many thanks in advance for any answers, Input or suggestions, Jon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mad Welshman, the roads are always open. Should not be any problem.
Btw Kitz has a lot to offer for all levels. It is not just a beginners resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitzbühel doesn't immediately spring to mind as a beginners resort. As with all ski resorts, I'm sure there is skiing there that is suitable for beginners, but you won't be able to make the most of it in your second week of skiing.

Have you considered either the SkiWelt or the SkiJuwel areas? In the SkiWelt I'd consider staying in Westendorf. From there, you could easily access Kitzbühel in a car if you wanted to try it for a day, so long as you got the full area pass. In the SkiJuwel, have a look at Alpbach and Auffach. These options should have far more reasonably priced accommodation than Kitzbühel, and have very suitable skiing for your second ski holiday.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look at staying in Kirchberg which shares the ski area, and is cheaper that its more upmarket sister resort.There is a good ski bus to get you to the Maierbahn and Fleckalmbahn sister-resort from anywhere in the town.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apols that should read-There is a good ski bus to get you to the Maierbahn and Fleckalmbahn lifts from anywhere in the town.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mad Welshman Kitz is my favourite place on earth and I would like my ashes scattered there.
I'n the meantime ... go for it.
I don't know why its particularly suited for beginners, but it has a huge variation in the terrain that is available to novice skiers. Its a lively town as well as a ski resort, so if the weather is poor its better than most places to pass the time rather than playing cards and smoking cigarettes.

Enjoy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks to all for the great input I have booked accommodation in Kirchberg for 10 nights beginning of Feb as I can now see its linked by cable cars / lifts, so so looking foreword to it, First day back at work today, I so know where I would rather be........ , Jon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kitzbühel has something for most skiers, there is a reasonable amount of off piste, plenty of easy blues and a good sized ski area. Biggest downside is potential poor snow early season (not this year) and by mid March many of the lower slopes can be on their way out. Kitzbühel itself has gone seriously upmarket in recent years, they seem to only really want folk who dont really care how much things cost including the lift pass. Kirchberg is certainly a bit more reasonable pricewise and has equally good access to the ski area. There should be no problem finding English classes at the ski school. I think I would have probably suggested SkiWelt or similar too for a second week but given that you have booked I am sure you will have a great time in Kirchberg. It is worth looking at this video about the 3S cable car
http://youtube.com/v/nPSBT1FnccE , it will give you something to look forward too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish,
Quote:
there is a reasonable amount of off piste
Gotta take issue with that. There is a huge amount of off piste accessible from the lifts both on the Kitzbühel and Pass Thurn side. They also have a number of freeride areas that are avi controlled (e.g 'Powder Heaven'). The nice thing about it being that it's mostly fairly easy going, i.e there are few no fall zones.
That 3S Cable Car is amazing. Has to be seen.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agreat choice, I love Kitzbuhel as a town and ski area. If youre staying in Kirchberg any of the three gondolas have nice cruising blue runs from top to bottom, back to the gondolas. The ski bus service is very efficient (and free) but can get crowded. There is ample parking if you want to drive to a gondola station
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steilhang, depends on your definition of "reasonable", compared to SkiWelt across the valley it is huge but compared to the Arlberg or Verbier it is fairly ordinary. I do agree that by the standards of most Austrian resorts it has reasonably extensive off piste Smile definitely worth the trip.

However I guess this is probably of little concern to the op who is more likely to be wanting nice blues and reds, decent lunch spots and good places for a Glühwein or 3 at the end of the day, for which Kitzbühel / Kirchberg is an ideal place for a second ski holiday.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@munich_irish, yep. Good choice in every respect.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We seem like we are the Kitz appreciation society here, @munich_irish, @Steilhang,

I think it was always an upmarket venue .. just about 1 hour form Munich, "Shicky Micky", they used to call it.

But It is a place to fall in love with, .. I want my ashes spread around the Sonnenbuhel by the way.
But in the meantime .. I'll just enjoy my many memoirs of great skiing days ... plus very late nights in the Londoner ... I bet they are still playing "The day the music died"...
and "Vincent"

I hope the Bosna van is still there by the arch?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:
We seem like we are the Kitz appreciation society here, @munich_irish, @Steilhang,

I think it was always an upmarket venue .. just about 1 hour form Munich, "Shicky Micky", they used to call it.

But It is a place to fall in love with, .. I want my ashes spread around the Sonnenbuhel by the way.
But in the meantime .. I'll just enjoy my many memoirs of great skiing days ... plus very late nights in the Londoner ... I bet they are still playing "The day the music died"...
and "Vincent"

I hope the Bosna van is still there by the arch?

If you mean the "Schnelly" (as we called them when living in Germany),yes it is and the currywurst is as lovely as ever. As for Kitzbuhel, Id live there in a heartbeat, love the town and love the skiing, and the Hotel Edelwiess
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
take a look on Snowtrex - they have had some good deals for kirchberg
Looking to go pre-xmas & some 3-4 night deals starting at £250 for HB + lift pass
snow conditions
A taxi driver told me that 450,000 Dutch go there every season.....but a great place to go with runs for all. Just don't go to late in the season or the lower runs - superb blues can get slushy later in the day. Kirchberg has plenty of excellent and very reasonable eating places.
snow report
@countryman enjoy the slush, its still a great place to go towards the end of the season.

Please excuse me, as you can tell, I'm a bit fond of Kitz.
ski holidays
@countryman enjoy the slush, its still a great place to go towards the end of the season.

Please excuse me, as you can tell, I'm a bit fond of Kitz.
latest report
countryman wrote:
A taxi driver told me that 450,000 Dutch go there every season.....but a great place to go with runs for all. Just don't go to late in the season or the lower runs - superb blues can get slushy later in the day. Kirchberg has plenty of excellent and very reasonable eating places.

looking at the apartment rentals, lots have .nl email addresses!
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, The Brixental is very popular with Dutch folk, on the lifts you will as likely hear Dutch as German. I would guess that lots of the apartments have Dutch owners, bit like the Brits and Val d'Isere.

I would be very cautious about booking pre Christmas holidays, there is a reason they are very cheap, there is more chance of green pistes than white ones. This season has been exceptional, it started snowing in mid November and has been ever since. It would be more common to see no significant snow until after Christmas, though in a typical year (if such exists) there should be some (note the word some) skiing from mid December onwards. SkiWelt does have very extensive snow making facilities but simply skiing on artificial snow is not ideal. I have had great days at SkiWelt in December, good snow & empty pistes but some years I have been walking up the mountains until early January rather than sliding down them.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@Mr.Egg, The Brixental is very popular with Dutch folk, on the lifts you will as likely hear Dutch as German. I would guess that lots of the apartments have Dutch owners, bit like the Brits and Val d'Isere.

I would be very cautious about booking pre Christmas holidays, there is a reason they are very cheap, there is more chance of green pistes than white ones. This season has been exceptional, it started snowing in mid November and has been ever since. It would be more common to see no significant snow until after Christmas, though in a typical year (if such exists) there should be some (note the word some) skiing from mid December onwards. SkiWelt does have very extensive snow making facilities but simply skiing on artificial snow is not ideal. I have had great days at SkiWelt in December, good snow & empty pistes but some years I have been walking up the mountains until early January rather than sliding down them.

Going for Xmas markets really.. fly to Innsbruck & out of Salzburg with Kitzbhuel in the middle.
if I can squeeze in 2 or 3 days on the slopes then win-win.
latest report
@munich_irish,
Quote:
I have had great days at SkiWelt in December, good snow & empty pistes but some years I have been walking up the mountains until early January rather than sliding down them.
This applies to just about everywhere though. Last season it was artificial snow only right up until sometime in January, even in Ischgl and St.Anton iirc. Strangely Kitz is always the first to open up a piste (they store snow from the previous winter right the way through summer), and one of the last to completely shut down in May sometime.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy