Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adult bindings on a junior ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just spotted a pair of Atomic Backland Girl II ski's, 130cm, at a good price on Snowtrax just the right length for my eldest. However they don't come with bindings. I happen to have some bindings kicking around - Rossignol Xelium 100 bindings. Would these be suitable to mount on those skis for my daughter to use?

Thanks for any advice
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, it's more about whether the bindings and boots are compatible. The sole is different on kids boots to adult ones and it changes around a certain size which I can't remember!! So for example below a certain size the toe and heel lugs will be too loose in an adult binding. Hope this helps a bit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
These are the different sizes but, like sarah, I can't remember what the changeover size is:

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, Be careful with the length of the screws as kids skis can be thin and bindings designed for adult skis may be too long, especially the back of the heel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don’t know about those bindings but the DIN range may also present a problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@altis, I’ve found an old thread looks to be around 22.0
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=87713

@Zorrac, @moseyp, yes very valid points.

@NickyJ, how old, what foot size, how heavy etc is she?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s lowest din is 2.5 so that should be fine.

The boots shape / size is obviously a concern. I am pretty sure she needed 23’s in Feb but suspect the actual size will changed from manufacturer to manufacturer. So looks like need to sort out some boots to fit her first if I am going to get her skis. Can’t see any bargains in her size... so probably sensible decision is just leave it and hire as normal.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sarah, she is 11, and think she was 39kg when I last weighed her (but need to check!), she is 147cm tall.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, sounds like you'd get away with it but the issue will be mounting the bindings without a boot, you need to know the BSL to mount the bindings. As you say may be better to hire again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sarah, it is 22

@NickyJ, do you know what her DIN is?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@moseyp, yes thanks, found it in that old thread. Not sure @NickyJ can know what her daughter's DIN is without knowing her boot size??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sarah, I can’t calculate it without her sole length and ski level but he could know it without knowing her boot size. Just depends on whether he remembers what it is

I would expect it to be close to 2/3 and wouldn’t suggest putting her into a binding range that starts at 2.5

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 18-03-18 19:56; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just measured my son’s boots - Rossignol Powah in a 23.5 and BSL of 275mm - and they are adult measurements per the diagram that @altis posted above.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah wrote:
@moseyp, yes thanks, found it in that old thread. Not sure @NickyJ can know what her daughter's DIN is without knowing her boot size??

Yes that is what I found - until we get her some boots, we won’t know the base sole length, and then we will know what the DIN and whether the bindings will be suitable.

Looking up sole lengths for mondo point 23 size gives a very wide range depending on manufacturer.

Looks like we will be hiring again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@moseyp, @NickyJ is a she! Yes I agree, I thought the recommendation was not to use a binding at the very extremes of the range but I'm not sure.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, not a bad idea, because she will grow again by next season. Maybe buy for Christmas and then get two trips out of the kit next season before she grows again Laughing
latest report
@sarah, that’s correct- you want your DIN to sit somewhere closer to the centre of the range for maximum effectiveness, not at the top or bottom. Hence the children’s bindings. In my ski school plenty of children’s boots with fit adult skis and vice versa, but the DIN range won’t be suitable
latest report
@moseyp, thanks
snow report
Quote:

Yes that is what I found - until we get her some boots, we won’t know the base sole length, and then we will know what the DIN and whether the bindings will be suitable.

Looking up sole lengths for mondo point 23 size gives a very wide range depending on manufacturer.

That probably won’t change her DIN, and even if it does it won’t change drastically

Her weight and ability level are more important
snow report
Rental also a lot cheaper than ski carriage, which is just insane

Alpinresorts very good deals for hiring
snow conditions
Oh and @NickyJ, aren’t 130cm skis a little short for your daughter? My son is 9 years old, 35kg, 140cm tall and has 139cm skis this season.
ski holidays
@moseyp, isn’t that the truth! Though saying that the state of the skis we were given last time (I hate to think the Last time the shop waxed and edged them!) is the other reason for looking. Getting her her own skis means I can make sure they are in good condition.

@Themasterpiece, 130 comes up to just above her chin? Slightly longer than the hire shop presented her with.

Using this DIN calculator

http://www.dincalculator.com/#/

reckons DIN of 3.5
latest report
@NickyJ, my son had 129cm skis last year and I was a little worried that 139cm was going to be too long, but needn’t have as he’s doing great. Although he does ski quite a bit. Was just thinking that kids grow pretty quick, so you could go for some 140 skis and maybe get two seasons from them?
snow report
@NickyJ, yeah I can only imagine. And kids learning to do their own skis is a good skill to learn too

130 at the chin sounds good

Probably better with kids bindings until she gets a little heavier tbh

See if they’ll throw in bindings at a good price, bring end of season?
snow conditions
moseyp wrote:
Rental also a lot cheaper than ski carriage, which is just insane

Alpinresorts very good deals for hiring

But you can usually slip a kids set in with the adult ones and no extra charge.

I had thought that and hired skis for three days in January, same cost as carriage!!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

But you can usually slip a kids set in with the adult ones and no extra charge.

I had thought that and hired skis for three days in January, same cost as carriage!!!!

Good point I hadn’t thought about that, guess it depends on whether the OP is carrying skis

Can’t remember exactly but think we paid less that €30 for six days ski rental in Tignes through Alpinresorts & Intersport

Way less than ski carriage, which is typically €80
snow conditions
Personally, I like having my own skis and hate wasting time in hire shops. Plus on a number of airlines you can take skis as your checked bag at no extra cost (we always fly Scandinavian airlines, Lufthansa or Swiss). This thread is disintegrating into airline ski carriage discussion....
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, It was inevitable really - it is always that or one on snow chains or helmets?

Though it does make me even more conscious that the sensible thing is to hire. We are paying for ski carriage already (@£49) but maybe already using a double ski bag to take my skis where we may be forgetting we have left something else the bag when I put them in... say my husbands ski. The weight limit is 15kg on the bag which it will be under (just!). Whether it is possible to add another ski carriage but as said above it is more than just cost involved but don’t want to spend too much.

I looked on the Snowtrax site for Junior / kids bindings and the only pair it came back with had a lowest DIN of 2.0. Given I have the set sitting in a box which has literally been used for 6 days skiing before I put knee safe bindings on my skis, seems like they COULD work but we need to sort her with boots to make sure but that I am not finding anything cost effective. Decathlon has some which look good for her but not her size in stock. I guess there is a chance we may find some in our localish store but odds aren’t looking good there.

Thanks for all the help.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Themasterpiece, people are just trying help the OP

That Salomon binding isn’t a children’s binding, it’s for teenagers that aren’t yet big enough for adult bindings. Kids DIN range tends to start at .5 or .75

Your bindings should work in theory ie you should be able to fit them and get her into them, I was just making the point that you shouldn’t ski at the extreme end of the DIN range. It will make the release values less effective
snow report
@NickyJ, lots of bargains on glisshop.co.uk plus another 10% off at the moment.
snow conditions
moseyp wrote:
...... I was just making the point that you shouldn’t ski at the extreme end of the DIN range. It will make the release values less effective

Incorrect
latest report
@spyderjon, nope.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
moseyp wrote:
...... I was just making the point that you shouldn’t ski at the extreme end of the DIN range. It will make the release values less effective

Incorrect

Think you're both kind of right.

New bindings with DIN 2-10 will have been designed, tested and certified to work perfectly at any din from 2.0 to 10.0. However as components wear and degrade, the performance may begin to deviate from the ISO standard. And it is quite likely that this deviation will have a greater impact at the extremes of the binding's design range.

For example, a little corrosion and lack of lubrication could add 0.5 to the din value set, and this will have a much greater impact when set at 2 rather than 10.

In my non expert opinion of course...
snow report
There is the cost of the mounting also.
snow conditions
Sort of on topic, but can anyone tell me how to calculate DIN levels on kids bindings other than by trial and error. My son is 20kgs and on 110cm skis, but was pre-releasing with a DIN of 2ish, so his coach turned it up to 3. His skis haven't come off since, either pre-release or during a crash, does that mean this is now the right level?
snow report
@doddsie, listen to his coach. For ski school you use a chart that uses weight and height, and boot sole length to calculate the DIN but at a more advanced level leave up to the coach because ability comes into it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy