Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Skis - Sizing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all! I reckon I've read every post there is on sizing, and concluded that as I'm 6' 1" and 95 kg, and beginner/intermediate at best, I should be on something around 176 cm for general recreational use. This is at odds with the skis that my local ski center provided - I've had 6 lessons so far and always been on a 162 cm. I guess I don't know what good or bad feels like - but quite liked the agility of the skis and how sharply it felt like I could turn them.

This lead me to start researching skis - and I arrived at the Head Natural Instinct (2018) in 163 cm... but then as I say, everywhere I've ever read doesn't even come close to recommending such a short ski for my height. What's the script! My local center is Perma-Snow plastic - would that have had any bearing on starting me on shorter skis, and should I stay shorter for now...?

Help greatly appreciated Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@userscott

I’m 183cm and was around 90kg when I bought my first skis. Was a low intermediate skier looking to progress and improve.

I was recommended skis around 176cm but was more comfortable with a slightly shorter ski at that time and ended up with the Head Rev 80 at 170cm.

For your height and especially your weight I would not look at anything shorter than 170cm. Could you try something longer for your next lesson?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@userscott, I'll make a couple of assumptions from your post. Sound like you've just started skiing, have only ever skied on plastic and are considering purchasing your own skis? so...

I would not buy beginner level skis. If you've already had 6 lessons on plastic and feel comfortable then you are already an intermediate on a mountain. In the real world, beginner skis are very soft and you will outgrow them within 1-2 weeks skiing on a mountain. Buy a friendly intermediate/advanced ski that you can grow into, ability wise.

Regarding length, at your height and weight, you would most likely be on the longest length available in any suitable model. For the Head you've mentioned, a 177cm. But as above, don't buy it, buy something more advanced.

Regarding plastic - yes, it is completely normal for people to ski something much shorter than normal on plastic. Most racers use 155cm skis regardless of their height/weight, for instance. Plastic snow pulls at a ski far more than real snow does so if you skied on your 'correct' length it would be very difficult.

Sounds like you're enjoying learning on plastic and doing well. This is a very good sign. People who learn on plastic usually can't believe how easy real snow is in comparison and progress their level very quickly on a mountain.

My advice?
1/ Continue using the centre's skis on plastic while you're learning with them.
2/ When you go skiing on snow, rent the first time. Maybe a 170cm and change it after a few days to a 177cm.
3/ Get used to the length and try some different models to see if there's a model you naturally like.
4/ Buy an intermediate/advanced ski that will cover your ski progression for the next 10-15 weeks on snow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@userscott, On a plastic slope there is no advantage to longer skis, so a 162 is fine - this bear little relationship to what you need for snow. For example, on dendix I ski on 155 to 162 skis, on snow use 170 to 184. The 176 is probably about right for snow, but if you are still a beginner perhaps go a little shorter.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi guys, thank you very much for all your feedback - it's true this really is a rather friendly forum! The information provided by you all has been really helpful, but most importantly the response from Raceplate is very valuable and your assumptions were perfectly accurate! I have decided on balance to follow your advice to the letter - I'll update you how I get on.

In the interim, I have treated myself to some "as new unused" Dalbello Krypton Cross (https://www.rei.com/product/742577/dalbello-krypton-cross-ski-boots-mens) - they are genuinely in new condition with no marks on them, and all the original tools and bag etc. Paid the same as one might pay for a dinner for two at a restaurant, so doesn't seem so bad... and they FIT! Very happy.

I wanted to set a constant through my learning - as in - I didn't want to use different boots and different skis, otherwise I'm worried I won't recognize the differences between skis. The minimal investment in a set of boots seems very worth it, and at that price, once I'm done with them I can dispose of them and invest accordingly in the fullness of time...!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Even as an advanced / expert skier with ~90 weeks on snow, I choose a ski that is one size down from "recommended " as they are easier in tight spots, I'm the same height/weight as you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
userscott wrote:
I wanted to set a constant through my learning - as in - I didn't want to use different boots and different skis, otherwise I'm worried I won't recognize the differences between skis. The minimal investment in a set of boots seems very worth it, and at that price, once I'm done with them I can dispose of them and invest accordingly in the fullness of time...!

I guessed that this was your motivation for wanting skis and I can completely relate to the logic. There are so many variables in skiing that removing just one should help and in principle, you're right. However, one of the (few) reasons that I still post on here is to try and stop people making the same mistakes that I made. From memory, I think I bought 13 pairs of skis in my first 11 years on snow, always believing that the latest technology would make me a better skier. It is of course, nonsense. Time on snow, lessons and correct technique make you a better skier. So buy a well reviewed, versatile ski and take the time and instruction to learn how to use it. I think I spent 6 of my first 10 weeks on snow in Ski School (which is probably more than most) but with hindsight I wish I'd spent all 10 under instruction.

One thing I forgot to mention was that plastic destroys skis,. If you want consistency for your plastic slope training, buy a second hand pair of something for £100 or so in the short length. To a large extent, it won't really matter what they are as long as they are mid 70's width. Whatever you buy for snow, buy them in the right length and keep them for snow.

Boots are far more important than skis in terms of constancy so you've got that right as your first purchase. However, 90% of beginners buy boots that are too big for them... because they're "comfortable" and they don't know any different. Again, for now it won't matter but once you get super keen make sure you see a well-respected boot-fitter for your next pair to ensure you get correctly sized boots for your future progression.

Good luck and welcome to an incredible sport Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tangowaggon wrote:
Even as an advanced / expert skier with ~90 weeks on snow, I choose a ski that is one size down from "recommended " as they are easier in tight spots, I'm the same height/weight as you.

I am similar stats and experience but have gone full circle on this. I learnt/progressed on 180/184cm skis for years then switched down to 176/177cm as skis got wider/stiffer. Then (a very stiff) 173cm for several years and finally 170cm. I also used the "one size down" as my yardstick. The 170cm (highly respected Head Magnums) were the one size down and were definitely too short and disappointing.

I then tested some Kastles at a 183cm (on the recommendation of the ski tech) and they were a revelation. Ski tracks said I was skiing the same slope at nearly 20km/h faster than I usually did and the edge grip on the slippery stuff was fantastic. I bought them the same day. I've since skied Rossi Soul 7's at 188cm (the longest length they make but also Rossi's recommended length for anyone over 200lbs) and they were the easiest ski for bumps I've ever been on.

To some extent, I think it depends on what your predominant ski technique is as to what length suits you. I have always been very outside edge dependant. I like the ski to do the work wherever possible so the additional grip from a longer length is a benefit to me. But I can imagine that if you're a more two-footed, turny skier then a shorter length would work better.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="Raceplate"]
userscott wrote:

Boots are far more important than skis in terms of constancy so you've got that right as your first purchase. However, 90% of beginners buy boots that are too big for them... because they're "comfortable" and they don't know any different. Again, for now it won't matter but once you get super keen make sure you see a well-respected boot-fitter for your next pair to ensure you get correctly sized boots for your future progression.

Good luck and welcome to an incredible sport Very Happy

Thanks again for more great advice! I must add that as a climber (where we routinely wear shoes two or three sizes too small intentionally) I've gone for the usual relatively tight fit! I can't stand loose shoes or boots!

Again thanks to everybody for their contribution to this post. I've got some real useful clues as to where I should be heading and I'll indeed act on them! Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy