Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb half term '19 Italy ideas??

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, it was on this forum that someone mentioned Pila as a resort to my " where shall we go?" Question and we have been there two years running and loved it. We love it because it's high and snowy, and small - we don't t need a big resort as have to pick up kids from ski school limits our outward bound mileage! We have always had the advantage of not going in half term. Next year, we will be newbies for the Feb half term ski experience, as can't really miss school now.

I am wondering about returning for our third year at Pila, or perhaps to try around the Passo Tonale area. There is a preference for northern Italy I think again. Oh, and need to mention tight budget!!☹️ I am hoping to get cheapish flights to Turin / Milan or the drive to Aosta doesn't seem tooo long from Calais.

I am sorry to ask another half term query, but the collective knowledge on this forum is a great starting point and beats any guidebook!
Looking forward to hopefully some replies. 🤗
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tonale/Ponte di Legno is a great little area but very popular with UK school trips so always used to be very busy at Feb half term. There are other threads about whether UK half term coincides with other Euro holidays like Carnevale and Fasching and am sure there'll be plenty of advice on where might be quieter based on the 2019 calender. Not sure how busy it gets at HT but we have had several great term-time trips to Monterosa (Gressoney, Champoluc & Alagna). Great skiing and transfer from Turin is about 1.5hrs and Milan 2hrs I think. We were in Canazei this year for our first family HT trip. Access to the Sella Ronda and routes on the circuit itself were very busywith long queues but the resorts off the circuit were lovely and really very quiet compared to my expectations. Transfer to Val di Fassa from Venice was long (3hrs) but that was reflected in the pricing compared to Selva, Alta Badia or Arabba area resorts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Passo is an excellent resort with something for everyone
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am definitely a stuck record......Hotel Orso Bianco, Sauze d'oulx www.sportinia.it ......short transfer, family rooms inc wine, on slopes where ski school meets, up mountain so don't spend money in town
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@toyah807 do you remember what time the restaurant opens there? Our big problem is we have 3 small children and they need to eat early. Everywhere seems to only open about 6:30pm which is about when they go to bed after a tiring day of skiing! (age 3,5&6)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The quick answer is that I am not sure. I remember they used to have a happy hour period after the lifts closed when they used to put out the remaining pizzas from the afternoon. They were also keen to help in any way and would probably do their best to accommodate you in any way they could, but I am sure that is something they would answer if you contacted them. If it is still in the same ownership it was an Anglo Italian couple
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
largeyorkshireman wrote:
Tonale/Ponte di Legno is a great little area but very popular with UK school trips so always used to be very busy at Feb half term. There are other threads about whether UK half term coincides with other Euro holidays like Carnevale and Fasching and am sure there'll be plenty of advice on where might be quieter based on the 2019 calender. Not sure how busy it gets at HT but we have had several great term-time trips to Monterosa (Gressoney, Champoluc & Alagna). Great skiing and transfer from Turin is about 1.5hrs and Milan 2hrs I think. We were in Canazei this year for our first family HT trip. Access to the Sella Ronda and routes on the circuit itself were very busywith long queues but the resorts off the circuit were lovely and really very quiet compared to my expectations. Transfer to Val di Fassa from Venice was long (3hrs) but that was reflected in the pricing compared to Selva, Alta Badia or Arabba area resorts.

Hi
I'm thinking about Canazei for next year but cannot see viable options for childcare for my 3 year old, any ideas?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cervinia is an option. Bigger than Pila, but not a mega-resort. Benefits (like Pila) from lack of Italian half term hols and being quite a long way for French and Germans.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hils68, Pila is still great just back from there and generally quiet on our half-terms. Contact Carole at pilaski.co.uk and she will get you the best deal all in with a transfer from Turin to suit your needs (apartment or family room).

Why change know it and love it. They have had at least another metre of snow depth this year as the steps from the hotel to the piste showed. A rope and some snow steps added !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is the Milky Way during Uk half term? We are
Desperate to avoid the crowds we experienced in France last year

We have two children 8&9 and would
Also be looking for good ski School recommendations
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What is the Milky Way during Uk half term? We are
Desperate to avoid the crowds we experienced in France last year

We have two children 8&9 and would
Also be looking for good ski School recommendations
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bunches, we were in sestriere last year and Claviere a few years before that, both over Feb half term and the queues were fine. Got a bit busy over the weekend in Sestriere, but not too bad. Kids went to the Scuola sci sestriere and loved it - only 6/7 children in each class. It was a group of children from different countries so my younger daughter did not have another english speaking child in her class, but she still made firm friends with a danish girl and they just used sign language! Instructor spoke great English though. We skied over to Montgeneve from Claviere one day and it was much busier there.

@Hils68, try La Thuile, been there 3 times now, and planning on going back in 2019, we love it. No queues, really great place for children, friendly ski school and good value, pizza on the slopes in our favourite lunch stop which will easily feed 2 children, was about 8euro. Ski school pick up is up the mountain (except for total beginners class), so you can do some miles in the morning. It has always been quite cold when we've been there, so that's a consideration if your children are really young, but ours have always been fine when layered up properly. Was flipping freezing there this year -16, but the snow was fab so not complaining!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fantastic, thank you - do you have any accommodation suggestions too for La Thuile?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bunches, Planibel apartments are basic, but right on the slopes - they release their 2019 rates at the end of the summer usually. It has a pool etc which the children liked and there is everthing you need in the complex - it is maybe a bit soul-less but the convenience does make up for it. Last 2 times we've been I've just found an apartment on airbnb which has worked out really well. We got a great place this year for £600, huge apartment with 2 bedrooms, it was a bit away from the slopes, but a 50m walk to the free ski bus. Our friends stayed in B&B Le Thovex which they said was great.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is the skiing in Sauze challenging? I am an interm skate skier, but I prefer blues. The map looks all red. How do Italian reds compare to French (Méribel reds)? I skied Méribel this year and found some it challenging
snow conditions
I wouldn’t write off driving to a small Austrian resort. UK Half term shouldn’t be an especially busy week.
ski holidays
Sauze is great, the reds are far nicer than French reds. We had a fab time there this Feb.
snow report
Michelle63 - thank you that was exactly what I needed to hear! any accommodation recommendations for families?
ski holidays
@toyah807, I know its a bit off thread topic, but how does Milky Way fair towards end of March? Thinking of taking the kids last week of March (local Scotland Easter hols always first 2 weeks of April). Also is there anyway of getting back up to the Orso Biancoa from Sauze after the lifts shut? The hotel looks great (and prices amazing compared to my €6 - €7k dropped this Easter!) but suspect the wife may feel a little "trapped" for a whole week in 1 hotel.
snow report
@riman8. I get the trapped issue, unless you are part of a larger group or the hotel is full (there is another next door and Orso Bianco has itself expanded since I was there) but you are able to pay for a return skidoo trip up and down the mountain- great fun- and with bigger numbers we were taken back in a piste basher one night after skiing down at the end of the day. In relation to weather the honest answer is I don’t know.....most years I suspect it would be starting to warm up a little and be very springlike, but like lots of places with snowfall like this season next year it may still be perfect! I know that doesn’t really help but the only definitive thing I would say about alpine weather after this year is that it could be anything.....
ski holidays
@toyah807, cheers agree on the weather and did just check out some web cams (I know we are mid-April by now but interesting anyway...) look like there is still plenty of snow but hardly anyone about - maybe its shut already for end of season..? What was the cost of the return skidoo and do they run that anytime (they seemed to indicate on the web that its for check in/out only?). Appreciate you might not know these finer points!
snow report
@riman8. I used the chairlift on arrival and departure as they were open at the time. When arriving I was given 10pc off lift pass and the staff at the lift put our bags on a separate chair for us, I think the hotel is well connected in the resort as most instructors seemed to meet there before or after lessons. Re the skidoo, think it was 15 euros or 25 return, possibly for 2 people so not something you could do every night ( actually, I mean I wouldn’t , I shouldn’t judge for you!) . The piste basher was cheaper, it may even have been free ( it was late and I was overtired, or maybe drunk) as it was taking an arriving group upto the neighbouring hotel and we could have hitched a lift. Oh but the skidoo ride was well worth doing, very entertaining.
snow report
@riman8 sorry the skidoo was as much for apres....last lift down, few drinks then get picked up to go up mountain for dinner kind of sketch. And any time within reason or with planning I think
ski holidays
@toyah807, cheers sounds like there are options and the hotel pretty helpful in sourcing as needed
snow conditions
we stayed here 2 years ago.
https://www.holidayhomesinitaly.co.uk/explore/sauze-doulx/apartments-in-sauze-doulx/

The appartments are nice and big; decorated in an old fashioned style with lots of wood panelling but also lots of cupboards and more room than the average ski flat!
they were about 10 minutes walk from the chair lift with 9 year old children - we rented our skis from the place at the bottom (we went through sauze on snow for this and our passes) and paid a small fee to store our skis there at the end of each day.
We drove down - the motorway was fast and easy to the frejus tunnel and sauze is very close to the other side.
I really liked it, there was a fair smattering of brits but the resort was not very busy for half term (there are one or 2 bottlenecks). There were lots of runs - the main issue would be not many easy blues for absolute beginners. The slopeside restaurants were cheap with great food. The town was very italian and not the party town i thought it would be. great restaurants.
we loved it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy