Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder Mountain in Utah: have you got enough?

Poster: A snowHead
Wow...what a bunch of tossers.

Still I hear it's a good place to ski...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/16/powder-mountain-ski-resort-summit-elite-club-rich-millennials
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rungsp, It is a great place to ski, true fun factor - but that is diminishing. There is still some of the old vibe left but you now have to search for it. I cant believe it wasn't grabbed by one of the big ski co. when up for sale.
Talking to one of the old lefties the other week, and in his words 'the place is growing up' Sad

Good points about it is it still limits the number of people skiing in a day to 3000 max, and rarely hits that. Easy to find fresh powder days after a storm rather it all being skied out in a morning. Powder Country( when open ) is like back country but patrolled - the bus ride back is fun. Technically largest ski area in NA too, but not all lift served wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bunch of pretentious wankery.
how long until they ask for psychometric tests before you can get a lift pass
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great resort.

Is this direction any different from the exclusive enclaves in Vail, Aspen, Val d'Isere, St Moritz etc etc?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just old school privilege and elitism in a different techno-hippy wrapper.

As for the guy who found Verbier lacked "progressive cuisine" and was gasping for a coconut water - what a bellend.

The deadpan reporting is what makes it though the journalist has skewered them on their own vanity and pretension.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I found the article tough to read - it seemed to be about multiple things, but it's clear that the guardian chap doesn't like whatever it is.

Powder Mountain UT is a great place. I haven't been for a few years, but the guardian chap would not like what was there before either - Cracker Barrel breakfasts with the fattest people on the planet; shopping at Cabelas amongst the stuffed wild animals; over the counter AK47s; religious fundamentalism. And an aging under-invested infrastructure.

It was always good for powder longevity, likely because of the location and lack of marketing. It's probably not a great target for the traditional resort developers as you're not going to get a huge real estate play there. I like the idea that it's been picked up by someone different. There are many private resorts - I don't think this is what they're doing there.

Just old school privilege and elitism in a different techno-hippy wrapper.
Starting a company and making enough money to buy a ski resort isn't necessarily privileged or elitist. "Elitism" is a pejorative, "elite" isn't. The Guarniaud should be against the first but not the second.

There are many private resorts, which this does not appear to be.
Where ski resorts are owned by individuals, they're not owned by poor people.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well said.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pretentious twaddle and the architecture is cheap and shoddy sheds with all the environmental grace of roadkill taxidermy ( I've had a good crawl around the site. . . lovely ski in/out location but the sheds are shoite)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brilliant - all the tossers will go there and free up other resorts from their prententious shoite
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nadenoodlee, you underestimate the quantity of pretentious shoiteheads in 'Murican society rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
auntie masque, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You've got to admire their self belief...a bit like the man who persuaded the Emperor to wear his new clothes.

'He had just been on a disappointing trip to Verbier, a resort in the Swiss Alps where the food was “not that progressive”. Utah, he says, made for a refreshing change. “I bumped into 30 of my friends. I didn’t have to do anything. The food was amazing,” he says. “There was a moment when they served coconut water.” ' (Far more important than the skiing clearly)
WTF???

Not a fan of the Guardian normally, but I enjoyed the subtle venom dripping from the author's fingers as he typed. Of course the yanks won't get the irony at all. Heh heh. The Powder mountain website has all its other press linked on its website. I wonder if the Guardian article will make it too.
Richard Branson is an investor apparently..doesn't he also own a humongous chalet in Verbs?

Still, I wish I could get to go skiing all day and pretend I'm working...just need to encourage the Lord Chancellor to kindly move the courts and clients to the Alps. (But not Verbier, obvs, Switzerland is so backward. I'll take France and a progressive diet of tartiflette).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We benefitted from that amazing food - another story wink It was pretty good tbh.
However don't get confused - it wasn't served at Powder Mountain that's for sure - just the usual canteen style grub.

They are combining the mountain and surrounding lodging packages into one, it seems.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah...just looked at the on mountain dining options: pizza, pizza, burger, mexican and pizza.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perty wrote:
You've got to admire their self belief...a bit like the man who persuaded the Emperor to wear his new clothes.

When it turns out to be a 'ship's anchor's' playground full of vapid dicks, they'll want to sue someone for their emotional stress. I assume there will be safe spaces?
snow report
The grub on Powder mountain is . . . ummmm . . . ok. And not just deep fried and crispy. This is a little resort with a limited and tired lift infrastructure and when the snow is poor has very little to offer. The tree runs are left natural which means lots of bushes and this year on piste where the cover is mostly crap and they've done some cleanup, lots of sharp bush stumps to drive a hole in you if you fall. There is a bit of 'fusion' cooking going on in the pub at Timberline but even that is a bit anodyne.
Not withstanding that, I've enjoyed my visits and if I lived locally would be happy. It's been great to run drills on and although short on elevation has some good blacks to practice on. The views from where the new construction is happening are really sweet but the neighbours will be hell rolling eyes Add to that, there's been a bit of lift grumbling/rumours about next year's pricing and the availability of visas for the lift and restaurant staff.
latest report
Perty wrote:

Lost in translation is the unstated fact that most these men got so outrageous rich by inventing or investing in many of different “new clothes” the public couldn’t see coming!

Today, I was comparing note with another skier about the terrain. She showed me a picture she took there. Imagine 15 years ago when camera appeared on phones, many here thought it was the most useless addition to a phone. How much camera phone changed how we travel, what we take on ski trips?

That’s the emperor’s new clothes to you! rolling eyes

Not to those above mentioned men.

Quote:
Of course the yanks won't get the irony at all.

Irony requires an unspoken yet commonly accepted “norm”. Yankee culture is all about breaking existing norm and innovate. Of course irony are “lost” on Yanks because the underlying base for the irony was never accepted in the first place.
snow conditions
@abc, "Yankee culture" is the OED definition of 'oxymoron'. It is the rainbow shimmer of cheap grease on the puddle of feral despair that a vast number of our fellow Americans struggle to swim in.
ski holidays
To many walks of society all of us skiers are pretentious funny fellows.

It's only degrees of difference.
snow report
This is the American reaction: https://www.pugski.com/threads/powder-mountain-interesting.9227/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy