Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avi Deaths in Verbier.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Nothing to do with Verbier it happened in near Fiesch much higher up the valley.

There is a brief report in French

https://www.rts.ch/info/regions/valais/9453768-plusieurs-personnes-emportees-dans-une-avalanche-a-fiesch-en-valais.html

and a more detailed one in German

https://www.srf.ch/news/regional/bern-freiburg-wallis/lawine-auf-der-fiescheralpe-suche-nach-fuenf-verschuetteten

The details are somewhat vague because the bad weather has hampered the search efforts and the incident happened late in the day. In seems that 6 ski tourers were caught in an avalanche, one escaped and raised the alarm and the other 5 are missing, presumably more reliable reports will appear in the morning though the German report does suggest there are 5 fatalities.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well 11th April today and this sad story is all very quiet. Is there an alpine protocol where the mountain rescue have a walk across the debris every 5 or 6 days?
I remember a case in Scotland probably 25 years ago. A climber had fallen into one of the corries and was buried.
Every week MR would walk the corrie to look for the body. Towards the end of September the mountain rescue realized that early snowfall would make the search impossible and thus leave the body for a second winter.
The police/MR brought in the ground penetrating radar, similar to that used in the search for Fred Wests victims.
The climbers body was located almost immediately.
I don't envy the gang who eventually find this poor person.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the Verbier Vallon d'Arbi case, a local instructor told us that they brought in a piste basher because the bodies were buried so deep (six metres). The basher skimmed off some snow, and then they went over the area with long search poles. And so on until the basher had skimmed off enough for the poles to find the bodies. I must say the rescue people deserve a medal for doing all this on top of a steep avalanche zone, with danger of further falls all the time.

To give an idea of the steepness - we've walked this exact route in the summer, which is a track connecting the lower and upper pastures on that side of the valley. We were walking down from the Col des Mines and at this point my wife was almost crushed by a falling cow. It was in the high meadows above the track and lost its footing and slipped. It rolled down the hill at least 100 metres and she just about got out of the way before it crashed onto the track and stopped. Astonishingly it stood up, looked unhurt, but seemed pretty shocked (who wouldn't?). La vache qui roule.

The other danger in this valley is that there's a very deep cleft down the upper part which is hard to see even in summer, let alone winter. If you skied into that from the exit below Lac de Vaux you could suffocate or be seriously injured. Really, I'd always recommend having a Guide, official or otherwise, who skied the valley before.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rogerdodger, We skied down there last Thursday, there's been no sign of any activity on the avalanche debris for the last few weeks.

I guess there's going to be a long wait for the family of the remaining victim.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Over the years e have had Avi victims in Arlberg buried so deep never found during main winter and only discovered by hikers ,farmers in the summer Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy