Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Easier Reds

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

We're heading out to Tignes next month. Which are the easier of the Red runs? My partner, whilst perfectly at ease on all the Blues we skied last there last year, is worried there is a big jump between Blue & Red that will catch her out and knock her confidence.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dahu, Merle, Mysotis and Bleuets come to mind. Would avoid Double M and Cyclamen, Double M cos it's steep and busy, and Cyclamen 'cos it's steep, busy and polished. Piste Henri marked Blue has steep and usually busy section on it. Prob the most important thing is to pick your time --- you don't want to go when the snow is hard (i.e. first thing), and best to avoid the rush home --- i.e. last thing. If you can manage a late or early lunch you'll find there's a quiet period whilst most are eating.

Having said all that -- you can do huge amount just staying on blue or green. If you want to get across to the Solaise area in Val consider taking a downlift on Olympique rather than a) Santons or b) a ski down to La Daille and then a bus. Lunch on sunny day at Ouillette is a very pleasant thing to do.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@numbfoot, Particularly if you are going in a months time I would be more careful about when you ski a run than about it's nominal grading. What the surface of the snow is like and how busy a run is is a greater determinant of how easy it is to ski than whether it is a red or a blue.
In April runs that get the sun can be horribly icy early in the day and very slushy later on, watch the snow conditions not the marking.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Double M is my other half’s favourite piste in the EK.

I would say it isn’t steep at all and is borderline blue. It is also very wide so easy to traverse between turns. I would definitely include it.

Cyclamen is steep at the top and best tackled early morning as it lumps up.

Some blues such a Genepi can be much steeper than either of these, albeit for short stretches.

The transition to reds is not massive and I’m sure your partner will be fine in Tignes.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 17-03-18 14:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bar shaker wrote:
Double M is my other half’s favourite piste in the EK.

I would say it isn’t steep at all and is borderline blue. It is also very wide so easy to traverse between turns. I would definitely include it.

Yes borderline blue. It is also the motorway run back to Val Claret and frequently skied by muppets at speed well beyond their abilities. I got clobbered from behind by one such and have seen others who clearly thought it highly amusing to ski out of control on a busy piste. So not really my favourite.

I don't think there is very much difference between blues and reds in EK. Maybe just that steepness on reds is more sustained.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@T Bar, +1. Just finishing a week in Tignes and have to say you're spot on.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Double M picks up little sun and so depending on weather can be prone to hard snow, and it is steep in places. So definitely a deserved red. A great red though as you can really fly down it

Piste H imo defo more a red than a blue

A red with nice snow definitely nicer than blue with hard snow so all about conditions really
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very interesting to read people's different takes on pistes.

I have never had hard snow on Double M and put this down to it being in a north facing valley so getting very little sun on the actual snow.

I also agree with @T Bar, about timing being important, especially on pistes that are exposed to spring sunshine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy