Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do some skis backseat me more than others?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

I usually ski a Rossi Exp 88 172cm and have tested about 5 others this season with varying degrees of success. I'm 5'8 75kg solid 8 on the Inside Out scale living in Chamonix.

I rented a pair of Blizzard Rustler 10 180cm yesterday as we had a lovely powder day and really enjoyed the extra float they provided. However, I found myself getting thrown into the backseat way more than on any other ski I'd tried even on piste. I found them much harder to drive and was wondering if there was anything about this ski in particular that would cause that? Extra length/width? Me being crap that day (likely...).

I plan on testing a few more skis before the end of this season prior to splurging in the summer and it would be good to know what factors about certain skis I like or don't like.

Merci buckets
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is the binding ramp angle the same?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Meltus, I had three sets of skis on my week away last week at Gnarbug. with each set of skis, I found myself in the backseat on the first day, then found myself moving forward as I got used to the ski on the second and subsequent days (except the first pair that I only had for one day obvs). I do think it can take time to get to grips with a new pair of skis, to learn how they handle and get to trust them
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Meltus, was that ski stiffer at all than your current ski??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jedster not sure about ramp angle, not something I though to check and the skis have gone back to the shop now. Will bear it in mind for future, thanks.

@nbt I'm sure getting used to different skis is a big factor, it just seemed to be particularly pronounced compared to other skis I've demoed

@kitenski I'm fairly sure they're softer than my usual skis actually.

Thanks guys
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Meltus, I would check the binding position relative to the true centre of the ski. IME, Rossi's recommended centre mark is around 2cm further forward than a comparable geometry Volkl ski, for instance. This gives a longer (more forgiving, in some ways) tail and makes it easier to drive the tips. I read somewhere once that they do it to promote correct carving technique.

Since you're renting the skis, it's easy to play with. If you don't feel balanced, just move the whole binding forward one or two notches and then see how they feel.

I've skied on French skis much of my time and when I bought some Head Magnums one year, I struggled to drive them and ended up moving them forward 2cm. Funnily enough, when I changed boots the following season, the skis felt more balanced with the binding on the recommended centre mark so it may just be that the combination of the various factors involved doesn't suit you; the boot forward lean/ramp angle/binding position/delta angle are coming together in a way you're not used to. I know, for instance, that the second pair of boots in my Magnum scenario are more upright than the first so that would make it easier to drive the tips from farther back with less input.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Meltus, before getting into geometries, as I am somewhat skeptical that that should be the first thing to look at... how much time have you spent in proper powder? Or were you feeling a bit backwards on piste as well?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The rustlers will have much more tail rocker than the experiences do and are probably a little softer flexing, I have the same issue for the first run between my Chams and Scrappers even though the flexes are equally burly the rocker on the Scott's makes the tail feel shorter so I just need to adjust my position a little.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ramp.

I get killer quad burn when I ski Dukes compared to the theoretically similar Griffins.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lots to think about, cheers. My bindings are the standard rossi axials you get on 14/15 experiences and they had marker griffons on the Rustlers. I plan to hire a couple more different skis before the season is out and its the Black Crows ski test in April Very Happy I'll ask about the binding ramp and see if I notice anything.

@under a new name I daresay that a lack of powder technique was a not-insignificant contributor but I did feel much more backseated on piste as well which is what made it more noticeable. If it was just in powder I would've written it off as me skiing badly. I've done about 6 or 7 reasonable powder days this season and had 3 days of off-piste lessons in Feb (which were so so useful) It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the day which is the main thing Smile although I did wipe out a few more times than I might've!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Ramp.

I get killer quad burn when I ski Dukes compared to the theoretically similar Griffins.

I used to find Dukes harder to get forward on than my piste skis. According to Jon, the Dukes are 0mm compared to 4mm on the Griffon so it would make a difference: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/2013-09-09-17-07-34/ski-binding-delta-angles.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Meltus wrote:
Lots to think about, cheers. My bindings are the standard rossi axials you get on 14/15 experiences and they had marker griffons on the Rustlers. I plan to hire a couple more different skis before the season is out and its the Black Crows ski test in April Very Happy I'll ask about the binding ramp and see if I notice anything.

Not much difference in the heel height between those two - 5mm and 4mm so unlikely to be delta angle in this instance.

https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/2013-09-09-17-07-34/ski-binding-delta-angles.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Meltus, that was sort of my point, if just off p, maybe it's a powder thing, if you feel it on piste as well, it's more likely a kit thing. But teasing out exactly what it is might be tricky.

If you are Cham based however, you can at least test lots of things, no? snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it possible that the extra speed/acceleration, generated by the considerably increased surface area, is causing you to be "left behind"?....the extra float is doing away with some of the braking you would normally be experiencing.

I can remember a similar feeling the first time I tried some Salomon Lords, after being used to 70mm wide Atomic 11:20s.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy