Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AT boots in alpine bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok i know your not supposed to do it and i know why your not supposed to do it (because the rubber sole grips the afd and makes your din setting less reliable). But also people do it and get away with it. So how bad a practice is it?

To put context to my question ill be using rental skis teaching a group of intermediates on piste next week. So i dont expect to be pushing hard and have a pair of AT boots i want to break in before using them in anger next month on proper AT bindings. If i keep the din set low is it a silly idea?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2048874
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
why not rent some touring skis with suitable bindings?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@luke2152, I would say a silly idea.... you'll be going slowly, on the piste, with less able skier, so if you did have a fall or a collision you'd want to know the ski will release. For a binding to work with a touring boot at all it needs to have a toe-height adjustment -- to allow for the thicker vibram sole -- I've not seen a rental binding like that for more than 20 years !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@luke2152, it all depends on the make/model of the alpine binding as to whether you can actually get your AT boot in it at all and if so, the extent of the affect.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski,
and a movable/sliding AFD helps I think, but this still just changes the release characteristics according to some research that can be found online somewhere.
WTR/Gripwalk soles are also thicker so need the adjustable AFD/toe-height, but also have a smooth bit above the AFD so probably release more predictably than a full on AT sole.
I could get my full AT sole in a marker griffon binding with Sole-ID adjustable AFD height, not sure if it was designed for that, but they look not massively dissimilar to my Dukes which apparently were. Someone (forgot who) also told me that full AT soles suck in alpine bindings anyway because they are too squishy on the bottom.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sure this will get asked again some time, so yeah I'll chime in.... don't do it if you want a release function.

AND, it can also cause a early-release if the walkable sole is too thick. Really hard to tell what you will get.

Its a bad idea.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stuarth wrote:
.......I could get my full AT sole in a marker griffon binding with Sole-ID adjustable AFD height, not sure if it was designed for that....

Yes the Jester/Griffon/Squire ID toes are designed for that.

stuarth wrote:
.......Someone (forgot who) also told me that full AT soles suck in alpine bindings anyway because they are too squishy on the bottom.

They are with some boots but a few of the latest generation of freeride touring boots have 'solid' areas that sit on the toe AFD & the brake pad to achieve proper power transmission like the grey bits on my Dynafit boots

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My Frankenboots are still going strong after 5 years. Fit into my Tracker / Guardian bindings with no problem.

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought the idea of the guardians was that they have an adjustable height AFD so that you can wear touring soles in them without issues....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara wrote:
I thought the idea of the guardians was that they have an adjustable height AFD so that you can wear touring soles in them without issues....

The first Guardians were alpine/WTR but not full AT. They subsequently changed the toe for the current MNC version.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yup, they came with a fixed AFD on the early ones so although the toe height was adjustable a very rockered sole had issues. I just stuck on a couple of spare plates into the foresole, cut the heel down by 2mm and the Dynafits worked fine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy