Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe January 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm hoping you can all give me some advice on a trip to Europe January 2019 - not being from that part of the world I havent got a clue about the place.

Coming from New Zealand, need to spend a few days in the UK as well, and hoping to get a couple of weeks in Europe. I went to Mayrhofen last year with some mates and loved it, but I'm going to take my family this time. All competent and keen, won't need lessons or beginners areas. Good medical care nearby would be nice Very Happy

Austria is so different to where I live, so would be really happy to go back there. I liked how pretty it was, the history and old buildings, the huge ski area, efficient lift systems, terrain, and didn't think it was too expensive compared to NZ, but also keen to have a look at some other parts of Europe, and maybe stay in two places. My kids have never seen the Alps in Europe so I would love to take them. Being late teens, they would probably really enjoy a few noisy bars as well.

I think I've figured out that the cheapest way to fly would be to get a return to a London airport and then get a connecting flight to somewhere in Europe, and a transfer from that airport to the ski area. I can then fit in a few days in the UK around that.

It's a fairly expensive trip for all of us, so whilst not looking to do it dirtbag style, also not keen on 5 star/super expensive either.

So questions are:

1) Where would you reccomend - flexible on dates - any time during January, obviously keen to avoid crowds
2) How easy/costly would it be to go to two different areas in two weeks and is it worth it? EG Austria/France
3) Best airlines to book flights with from the UK to wherever in Europe?
4) Is a package trip from the UK worth looking at or is it better to just book accomodation and transfers myself?

Thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hang11,
Unless you are going the week of New Year crowds are rarely a problem in Europe in January , though the most popular places such as St Anton can still be fairly busy.
If you are wanting the best snow, waiting till the last minute and seeing where it has fallen / is forecast is the most reliable thing to do as the quality and quantity of snow can vary dramatically across the alps particularly early season.
2) Its very straight forward going to two different areas in two weeks you will miss a bit of time travelling and spend a bit more on two separate lift passes but the difference should not be a deal breaker. The actual ease of doing it depends on which two areas and how you are travelling though Dolomites to France say would be a bit more involved than Western Austria to East Switzerland.
3) Which airlines, depends a bit on where you are flying between skyscanner is a good resource, they are all generally reliable though Ryanair doesnt have the best reputation for straight dealing if you don't follow its quirks.
4) Packages can offer pretty good deals low season though I generally find I can get a plan that suits me better going independently, and going to two different centres doesn't suit the package model.

Where is the most difficult question
I have skied extensively in Europe (And have visited your neck of the woods ) There are few places that I would discourage you from and it depends a bit on preferences But for a combination of cost historicism scenic beauty and huge area with reasonable prices the Dolomites are highly recommendable. A somewhat erratic snow record is more than compensated for by a first class manufactured snow installation on the pistes.
If youve seen Mayrhofen and find it extensive the mega purpose built ski areas in France are pretty huge, but if historical buildings is your penchant they may disappoint.
Switzerland has some fabulous skiing with a great tourist infrastructure but you pay a higher price than elsewhere in Europe.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@T Bar,

Thanks - that's really helpful. Think I'll just book the long haul flights to the UK when they go on sale, aim to go for the last 3 weeks of January, and just wait and see on booking the snow trips.

I'm no ancient architecture lover, but there isn't a building in NZ really over 150 years old, and where I live most of the buildings are about 5 years old because they all fell over, so cute alpine villages are a bit different and all part of the fun.

I'm thinking Austria or Dolomites and possibly getting to St Foye from there? I have friends there, and wouldnt mind visiting.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like @T Bar, says it would be slightly easier to do something like Austrian Tirol and Dolomites or St Foy and maybe Milky Way if you were looking to try two different Alpine countries.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hang11 wrote:
@T Bar,

Thanks - that's really helpful. Think I'll just book the long haul flights to the UK when they go on sale, aim to go for the last 3 weeks of January, and just wait and see on booking the snow trips.

I'm no ancient architecture lover, but there isn't a building in NZ really over 150 years old, and where I live most of the buildings are about 5 years old because they all fell over, so cute alpine villages are a bit different and all part of the fun.

I'm thinking Austria or Dolomites and possibly getting to St Foy from there? I have friends there, and wouldn't mind visiting.

Dolomites- St Foy are about as far apart as you can get in the popular areas of the alps.St Foy although next to the Italian border still has a bit of a drive around to get to Italy as the immediate passes are closed in winter.
The drive is about 8 hours according to the RAC.
I wouldn't necessarily let this put me off though I might plan an extra day on my holiday and think of visiting somewhere in between en route. (Either CIty break or ski resort depending on preference)
If I had this as a plan I would look at the flights well in advance thinking of flying into one airport close to St Foy and one close to The dolomites and booking a one way car hire for the duration between the airports. The car would give you flexibility at both ends to visit other resorts Particularly useful in St Foy which has several very good resorts close by but has a relatively small ski area of its own.
If you were to book flights into Geneva and out of either Innsbruck or Venice (or visa versa) this would give plenty of options of a different itinerary if the snow is better elsewhere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One option to think about is the Arlberg area. St Anton being the obvious place if noisy bars is one criteria Smile . The skiing is amongst the best in the alps. Access is also very easy, direct trains from both Zürich and Innsbruck. There is more than enough variety to keep strong skiers happy for a couple of weeks. If you wanted to split your time between say the Arlberg and one of the big resorts not far from Geneva (Chamonix, Portes d'Soleil, Verbier etc) you could get the train to Zürich and then either get train or plane for onward travel. You could get one way flights from London into Zürich and return from Geneva (possible with both Easyjet and Swiss maybe others). Normally I would say this is a lot of fuss and expense (waste of valuable skiing time) but if part of the point of your trip is to see various parts of Europe this could be worthwhile maybe even say stop off for the night in Bern for a little sightseeing. The Swiss train system is efficient and easy to use.

St Foy is not quite so easy to get to, car hire from Geneva probably best, though there is a train station in Bourg St Maurice which is taxi distance the connections from Geneva are not ideal.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Awesome - thanks everyone. I will have a look at the long haul flights - pretty sure going through Geneva is an option on those without making them too expensive, so could possibly fly to London and back out of Geneva for the return leg, which would give more time for travelling around Europe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy