Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk to me about bindings...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to add a second pair of skis to my quiver and use Quiver Killer inserts so I can have a single pair of alpine bindings. My existing skis are 70mm under foot and the new ones will be 98mm so the current bindings won't work (brakes won't clear 98mm) but there are just so many options out there at a massive range of prices - and all with blurb that sounds must the same!

So other than being narrow-enough to fit on the 70mm skis and have brakes wide-enough to clear the 98mm ones what should I be looking for/what's the difference between a Head SX 4.5 AC B84 at £39.50 and Maker Jester 18 Pro at £307.91 (extremes of prices on the Glisshop website at the moment)?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can use the same bindings, just get a different set of brakes. They cost far less than a new binding and are easy to switch.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mjit wrote:
what's the difference between a Head SX 4.5 AC B84 at £39.50 and Maker Jester 18 Pro at £307.91 (extremes of prices on the Glisshop website at the moment)?

The head one is a child’s binding (DIN up to 4.5). The Jester is probably designed for dropping off cliffs with a DIN up to 18.

I think the price difference between a £100 binding and £300 set is strength and durability (and some marketing as each manufacturer needs a range from budget to premium).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mjit, Bend the bindings wider
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sah wrote:
You can use the same bindings, just get a different set of brakes. They cost far less than a new binding and are easy to switch.

@Mjit, This ^, assuming that your existing bindings are flat mounted. If they're a rail system then you're likely to have a problem. What make/model of bindings are on your existing skis?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:

@Mjit, This ^, assuming that your existing bindings are flat mounted. If they're a rail system then you're likely to have a problem. What make/model of bindings are on your existing skis?

The existing bindings are just the adjustable, rental-style ones that came with the skis (is that a rail system?) and other than being Rossignol don't have any real distinguishing features of marks. The skis are Rossigonl 8SLs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mjit wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

The existing bindings are just the adjustable, rental-style ones that came with the skis (is that a rail system?) and other than being Rossignol don't have any real distinguishing features of marks. The skis are Rossigonl 8SLs.

The majority of rail systems can't be used with inserts. Whether the rail system can be removed and a flat mounted binding installed depends upon whether the skis are flat topped (as opposed to the rail being 'moulded' in to the ski) and, if they can be flat mounted, the new binding much have a mounting pattern that avoids the existing mounting locations.

IIRC the rail on your skis sits on a flat topsheet so that's a good start however that Look/Rossi rail utilises large diameter fixings in to the ski (so they need custom made plugs) and the rearmost toe plate holes tend to right in the way of most alpine binding mounts. I've installed workable solutions on them a couple of times but it all depends on your specific boot sole length and the make/model of the selected binding as to whether there's a clash.

The only way for me to know for sure which binding will work (if at all) would be for me to have your skis to try the various jigs on them set to your sole length.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy