Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis advice for my wife

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some advice needed please.

My wife is late in life to skiing (started when she was 40) , now done 6 weeks with lessons every time.

Hated it for 1-3 years . Has slowly come around and in our recent trip to Selva - she was coping fine with steep reds back to resort .
Parallel turns but not really carved.

To try and keep her keen , I bought her some boots after year one and skis after holiday #3.

She is 152 cm tall and weighs circa 50 kilos.

I bought her some Dynastar Neva 78 in 145 cm length.
An all mountain ski with tip and tail rocker (they were on a huge discount at Glisshop) .

She has got on OK with them but I do wonder if she needs something more piste focused to really get to grips with carving?

Bit narrower and perhaps shorter?

To try and help it all click into place?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sheffskibod, As far as shorter and narrower is concerned, a 78 is pretty narrow for all-mountain skis and you'll probably struggle to go shorter than 145, which sounds about the right length anyway.

I think I have tested the Neva 78 (the yellow topsheet ones), and as per my general experience with Dynastar, they were too soft and a bit flappy, but very easy to ski. Boringly so. So the skis shouldn't really be presenting any problems, and a more piste-oriented ski (which probably won't be much narrower) may be too stiff if she's struggling.

Really, you should get your wife to come here and describe how she's feeling as there may be better suggestions to be made than just throwing different skis at the problem until she comes around...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure what ski would suit best...but her Ski length looks about right to me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the responses so far @Scarlet, @Old Fartbag

Perhaps its just confidence she needs. Fear of falling might be a limiting factor.

Will just have to plan more trips Very Happy

And maybe rent some different skis to see if it makes any difference.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sheffskibod, fear can definitely be a limiting factor, but I don't think at this stage you're going to find skis much more confidence building than what you have! This is good – spend your rental money on some private lessons and you might findyou get better results Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sheffskibod, IMO. It goes like this: Lessons from a good instructor -> More Confidence -> Handle better Skis. It certainly doesn't usually work the other way round. Toofy Grin

EDIT. Scarlet got there first.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all.

In past holidays , she has always wanted to be the fastest person in a slow group (and has never wanted to push herself)

However in Selva , she found herself a little bored / frustrated as the (intermediate) group was almost too slow for her .... I think this is a good sign she is prepared to push herself a bit more.

She had a private lesson in year 1 and found it too full on. Maybe now is the time to return to that for some specific focus.

I had a good experience with New Gen in Courcheval (lesson was for my son , was just a boys trip) so maybe I will seek them (or similar) out.

Maybe I should get to VDI and seek out Steve Angus...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I remember someone’s wife getting a lot better after he turned up with a male instructor for her who was particularly easy on the eye (her words).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Orange200 wrote:
I remember someone’s wife getting a lot better after he turned up with a male instructor for her who was particularly easy on the eye (her words).

I have also witnessed that - and it wasn't somebody else's wife. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m a similar height and have used similar all purpose skis the same length. Having learnt as an adult, I second the other posts that it’s best to focus on increasing confidence in finding an instructor she clicks with to optimise technique, and keeping super fit, strong and flexible (as falling in your 40s is less fun than in one’s 20s), rather than the skis. No harm in renting different types though.
She sounds motivated, which is great. My husband and children all started aged 5, 5, 3 respectively so I had to keep up! Definitely more ski trips needed....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy