Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve - Hints and tips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

I've searched the forum but have struggled to find much info on Megeve.

Was hoping for some hints and tips, be it places I HAVE to eat at or areas I absolutely must SKI (to include driving to close areas etc).

Plus anything else that would be useful. Newspaper reports etc just don't cut it as they largely publicise the places they get to eat at for free and rarely do anything very in depth.

Hoping someone has some insider info...?!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take plenty of money.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Legend., try the smaller Julliet ski area, its actually quite good & its included in your pass.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take an umbrella and a fur coat if you want to fit in with the locals - oh and as @rjs, says - take plenty of money.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have an Evasion Ski Pass go up to Les Contamines whilst you are there as well.
And yes the restaurants in Megeve are £££
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is a bit more expensive but there places selling paninis etc up on the slopes for a quick pit stop. The restaurants display prices so check before going in. As Jonny996 says Julliet is good for a day's skiing and quieter than Mount Arbois. There are a couple of Creperies in town that are a bit cheaper.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few miles up the road - Praz sur Arly. Have a day skiing there. Go up the Cret du Midi chair - massive free car park at the bottom Two nice, and not stupidly Megeve-expensive restaurants - for cosy mountain charm Le Petit Tetras (on the right as you get towards the top of the lift). Lovely little place - get there early for lunch as there are not many seats. The other place - the Serrason - is bigger, has terrace (and indoor tables too) with spectacular views and particularly tempting desserts. Plenty of good skiing up there - including the top of the Ban Rouge and, a little further afield, the top of the Notre Dame de Bellecombe skiing, via the short Trois Coins drag lift.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Zermatt is my favourite place in the world for skiing so I'm assuming the prices won't feel too unfamiliar!

Final question, restaurants up the mountain, are there some nice ones accessible by foot/gondolas? We have a very keen but slow learning skier with us (3 months old) so he's not going to be too great on difficult pistes and advises he prefers gondolas and non strenuous walking. Can obviosuly find out the lie of the land when we get there but any early info will help point us in the right direction!

Thanks snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiing wise my recommendation would be to explore each of the three main sectors on your first three days i.e. Rochebrune, Mt D'Arbois and Jaillet. Each has a different feel and depending on what type/level of skier you are, you may prefer to focus the rest of your time in one place. As an intermediate, I find splitting my time equally between the three gives me most satisfaction. (If you've got enough energy, you can cover your favourite bits of Rochebrune and Mt D'Arbois in a day).

Places I'd recommend for food and a drink are Auberge de Bonjournal at the top of the Christomet chair on the Jaillet side and Alpage de Pre Rosset which is at the top of the Lanchettes drag on the way over to Cote 2000. If you're looking for 'cheap' eats then there's a nice spot at the top of the Freddy chair with plenty of deck chairs which is nice in the sun.

Not sure what sort of skiing you're into but most challenging tend to be the black and reds off the Cote 2000 and Mont Joly lifts. If you want moguls underneath the Mount Joux chair is usually best. Lapping the blues/reds under the Petite Fontaine/Jardin lifts on the Rochebrune side is always good fun, and a good place to get your ski legs back on the first day. On the Jaillet side the blue trefflenaise run down to La Giettaz is gentle but long and and once there the runs in that area are usually very quiet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Legend., woody is very trendy & is directly at the princess gondola mid station
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
Take plenty of money.

I'd echo this. What we spent on getting there, staying and sking, we spent again on food and drink - very hard to find inexpensive places to eat - especially in the evening - that said all great quality and the skiing was pretty good. I'd go back!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a lot of skiing on the evaison lift pass It tends to be quite wide and not too steep .It is a great confidence builder. It is a good place to go when visibility is bad as there are a lot of tree lined pistes.A lot of the old infrstructure is being replaced with new quick lifts and quite a lot of snow making has been introduced in the last few years. Cheapest place to eat is freddys which is at the top of the gondola that comes up from st gervais it is a picnic /take away place and gets very full on bad weather days .La Boitette has one of the finest views of the aigle du midi and the massif du mont blanc .Megeve /st Gervais is what it is. It is not Chamonix !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
michaelf wrote:
Skiing wise my recommendation would be to explore each of the three main sectors on your first three days i.e. Rochebrune, Mt D'Arbois and Jaillet. Each has a different feel and depending on what type/level of skier you are, you may prefer to focus the rest of your time in one place. As an intermediate, I find splitting my time equally between the three gives me most satisfaction. (If you've got enough energy, you can cover your favourite bits of Rochebrune and Mt D'Arbois in a day).

Places I'd recommend for food and a drink are Auberge de Bonjournal at the top of the Christomet chair on the Jaillet side and Alpage de Pre Rosset which is at the top of the Lanchettes drag on the way over to Cote 2000. If you're looking for 'cheap' eats then there's a nice spot at the top of the Freddy chair with plenty of deck chairs which is nice in the sun.

Not sure what sort of skiing you're into but most challenging tend to be the black and reds off the Cote 2000 and Mont Joly lifts. If you want moguls underneath the Mount Joux chair is usually best. Lapping the blues/reds under the Petite Fontaine/Jardin lifts on the Rochebrune side is always good fun, and a good place to get your ski legs back on the first day. On the Jaillet side the blue trefflenaise run down to La Giettaz is gentle but long and and once there the runs in that area are usually very quiet.

Good summary and I'd agree. Its basically what we did. The trek out to La Giettez was worth it not just for the skiing once you get there, but the skiing on the way back - some good Black and red runs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want to eat more cheaply on the mountain then go over to the St G side for lunch - about half the price for similar quality.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
michaelf wrote:

Top stuff. Thanks
snow conditions
There is a rustic shack on the StG side halfway down finance run that does the best onion soup I have ever tasted.
ski holidays
@Legend., megeve has everything zermatt has apart from the atmosphere, the skiing, the mountains and the snow
snow report
Hi @Legend., when are you going? We're headed there Sunday, cannot wait!

There's quire a bit of info on the Stanford Skiing website, although some of it might be dated now... ideas for places to go / eat, etc
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
@Legend., megeve has everything zermatt has apart from the atmosphere, the skiing, the mountains and the snow

Sounds perfect then! Laughing Gotta try other things, Zermatt again next year!
snow report
@Legend., Sous les Freddys, sur le mountain, had an excellent first hand recommendation to me this week (unfortunately not there myself). St Gervais sector. May not be feasible for pedestrians though.

@red 27, I thought EMB skiing very good. I usually do red/black stuff in places like EK, 3V, Paradiski, Cham Valley. Not at all disappointed with EMB.
snow conditions
@burnsieboy,

It’s quite different though isn’t it? The resorts you mention are much more ‘alpine’ - skiing above the tree line on big slopes. EMB is much more tree lined runs, lower down. Has its own charm of course but in a different way.

Les Contamines (not connected) is more of a halfway house between the two styles.
ski holidays
Legend. wrote:
Top stuff. Thanks

No problem - let us know how you get on!
latest report
Bump.

We're staying in Megeve in early Jan (no car) and wondered whether it is possible to get a bus to Les Contamines and how long would it take?

Looking at a piste map could we ski from Megeve to St. Nicholas de Veroce then take a bus to Les Contamines and back the reverse route in a day?
ski holidays
Pretty sure there isn't a ski bus connection. But it's not that far from St Nicolas or St Gervais, so might be worth splashing out on a taxi if there's a few of you?
snow conditions
@halfhand, it’s going to be a treck & while L.C. is good you have so much on your door step. Ironically your only 250 meters from L.C. when you’re at the outer edge of Cotes 2000.
If I were to do it I’d lift up to Arbois from Megeve then Ski down to STG , take free ski bus to town centre then get public bus to LC but I’m not sure if that drop you at lifts or you need another nevette bus.
As said not the easiest journey
snow conditions
@halfhand
Have a look at www.sat-montblanc.com and the timetables for L82,L83 and L84. As Jonny996 says get Mont arbois gondola then ski down to le Bettex where you can get the gondola down (or ski down if home run is open but it is a bit of a nasty red). The bus stop you need is Saint Gervais Telepherique on Av.Mont Arbois on the road next to the gondola. Get off at Les Contamines Le Lay. You will need to study the timetables to decide how long to stay there.
snow report
Or catch 82 bus from Megeve towards Chamonix and get off at St Gervais "Le Pont" stop (on roundabout just after bridge over gorge). You can catch the 84 to Les Contamines from the same stop.

As @Richaba says you would need to look at the timetable, but it might give an option which allows more skiing time in Les Contamines. Otherwise you need to factor in lift times up to the top of Mont Arbois in each direction.
ski holidays
Thanks for the replies everyone. So it's doable but possibly a bit of a faff. We'll see how it goes. Cheers again snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think I’d do as Jonny suggests but maybe get a cab from St G to Les C - it’s only 10 mins
snow conditions
@jedster ta
snow conditions
Perhaps not the sort of recommendation you might be expecting but... there's a very nice Chinese restaurant in Megeve, "Khue Danh".
Dark Lord Cuddles and I were passing through a week or two ago, saw it and on impulse, just fancied a Chinese so gave it a punt. We were very pleasantly surprised and each rated it as one of the better Chinese meals we've had anywhere (and we've had a few!) Not particularly expensive either: we ate heartily for 56€ between us including a drink each. But then, we were on the road so didn't avail ourselves of their impressive looking wine collection - I guess that could take costs up a level.
OK, not your traditional mountain fare but if you find your cheese-tummies are full before the end of the week, it's a good option.
snow report
If you are on the mont d’arbois side, head away from Megeve and St gervais in the morning (head towards st Nicholas etc) to avoid the queues.
If you hit Megeve at lift opening times and ski down to at Gervais (which is a really nice run) you will be queueing in st gervais for an hour.
Mont d’arbois was my favourite area.
The resort is easier with a car.
ski holidays
Probably a bit of a stretch for a kebab shop or a Golden Arches but is there anywhere open late-ish for some fast food (pizza cabin?)? We won't get in to resort until 10 or 10:30pm and having been travelling since around 4pm we'll be a bit hungry (can't bear the thought of having to buy an Easy-snack on the flight).
snow report
@halfhand, Megeve has a McDonald's if that is really what you are after.

You wrote that you won't have a car, where will you be staying ?
snow report
This is just outside the pedestrian bit of town...

Snack 384 Megève
384 Rue Charles Feige, 74120 Megève, France
+33 6 95 81 81 09
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Fbhj1bF4mbmQq1PV8

According to Google it's open til one every morning
latest report
@rjs, Mac'Ds food of last/only resort. We're staying here: Chalet Monte-Pente 399 route de Lady Les Granges.

@EarthWindandWater, Thanks for that. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:

@EarthWindandWater, Thanks for that. Toofy Grin

You're welcome, interested to hear how your accommodation is: Mrs loves Megeve but I'll need somewhere else to stay once the sproglets are on planks / trays...

Heading out on the 9th Feb, if anyone else is about then?
latest report
halfhand wrote:
@rjs, We're staying here: Chalet Monte-Pente 399 route de Lady Les Granges.

I guess it is handy for the Rochebrune lift but a bit of a trek into town.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
halfhand wrote:
@rjs, We're staying here: Chalet Monte-Pente 399 route de Lady Les Granges.

I guess it is handy for the Rochebrune lift but a bit of a trek into town.

Looks like it from google maps Madeye-Smiley
latest report
The spa/pool in the municipal sports center is a must.

I quite like the skiing in the EMB, excellent scenery and varied intermediate runs, as others noted much below treeline.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy