Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur 17/18

Poster: A snowHead
Courmayeur opening day.

Plan Gabba and Bertolini chairs open

10 - 20cm of fresh on 30 - 50cm of snow form the previous week. Snow depth dependent on shelter from last weeks wind.

Great skiing off piste, so so to very good off piste

A few bushes still poking through, but really not bad for 25th of November.

Some nice turns to be had on some of the yet unopened runs.

Monte Bianco looking good.

And coffee n cakes are great as always, this little lot only cost €8.20
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did someone mention Italian cakes? Just checking for a friend...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
W00t! Should have a good base by the time we get out there, 10 weeks to go!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Idris, Plan de la Gabba............. in pow.............. you lucky boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm out there in a few weeks time for Xmas.................. staying in Entreves. Looks like the Monte Bianco pic was taken from Hotel Grange?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Idris, nice! Would love to get a day in Courmayeur this season... Is there still a morning bus service from the station in Cham?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, can anyone provide an update of latest conditions at Courmayeur / La Thuile / Pila? Thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skidm, Try .........http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=it_courmayeur...

Should show current conditions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skied Courmayeur again yesterday. The wind has stripped some of the off piste. More pistes and lifts open, snowmaking in full swing. By next weekend most if not all runs should be open.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Idris, it’s great to hear condition updates from snowheads that are in resort. Will check out the snoweye cams @skimastaaah, cheers, not heard of that site before.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can any Courmayeur experts give some advice on where the best place to stay in town is? There will be a group of 6 of us visiting for a weekend in March and so we're trying to pick a hotel. Is it best to be near the Courmayeur lift or the Dolonne one? If you stay in the middle of town are there buses to the lifts?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Steve77 - stay in Courmayeur rather than Dolonne if you want to a bit of apres ski. Most hotels / apartments are only a 5 min walk to the cable car (10 mins at most if you're slow). Not sure about buses, but you can stash your ski's n boots either at the top or the bottom of the cable car so no issues re walking around with them pre or apres ski. Bar Roma is the highlight of every days skiing, not to be missed, with an endless buffet that runs from 5pm to 8pm.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, Yes. Well at least it was still running last season, and I don't see why they would stop it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, you need to book the bus.

@Steve77, exactly what @ZombieSi, said.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah memories of when I was a ski guide here in the early 90's. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Hi guys
am doing a day trip there from Aosta next week. Any tips on where best to park - quickest access from the motorway, best access to lifts, and then a passagiato (and Bar Roma) after the skiing. I can't see if there is a big car park at the bottom of the main gondola?
Thanks
snow report
no huge car parks at the gondola in town - for ease of access and parking, use the other gondolas, but that precludes easy access to Bar Roma afterwards sorry
snow conditions
@TheManOnTheBus, easiest access to my mind is the Dolonne gondola although it’s not in town. Easy parking etc.

The main cable car is not particularly convenient for anything....
snow report
Piste conditions are first class. Great Xmas skiing yesterday with sunny skies and empty slopes. Today light snow with overcast cloud and busier altogether. Still nice skiing with some snow expected tomorrow.

snowHead
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@TheManOnTheBus, easiest access to my mind is the Dolonne gondola although it’s not in town. Easy parking etc.

The main cable car is not particularly convenient for anything....

Thank you. Will so that then and then look for parking in town post skiing.
TMOTB
snow report
@TheManOnTheBus, try the Val Veny lift up. There's free parking available if you get there early. Otherwise 3 euros per day. Val Veny gives easy access to Zerrotta and the chair lift arrives above the Aussie bar a good stop for a drink and great view of Mont Blanc. This way in you miss the crowds at Plan Checrouit but you still need the gondola up to get the Youla cable car. Get over to Plan della Grabba and Youla for best conditions early on but you may have a wait for the cable car.

Snow is forecast over the next few days.
snow report
NBT --There is a large multi level car park right beside the main cable car! &-10 minute walk uphill to Bar Roma which is still doing it's buffet. Been 3 times so far this season. Exit from the car park leaves you a minutes drive to the motorway towards Aosta.
snow conditions
@Old Man Of Lech, had the buffet with a drink on Sunday. Still one of the best watering holes in town.
snow conditions
Moderate snow all day today adding up to a foot of fresh stuff on existing substantial base. Snowing through the night predicted with another 8 to 10 inches minimum expected. OP now good to very good. Did the Skyway to the top and skied the run in from the mid station. Nice to ski and experience early season.
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, of course, I'm being an idiot. I've always been in a hotel with a shuttle bus - the first time we went to the main lift in town and then last time to Dolonne, but now you mention it, it makes NO sense to have a lift with no parking, and of course your post prompted me to remember the parking.

I would agree though that Val Veny would probably be best for anyone coming from Chamonix
ski holidays
Anyone out in Courmayeur at moment? Am staying in Grand Massif from Weds PM for a few days but considering driving over to Courmayeur for the day if conditions are good (looks like good snow landing today?)

Cheers
snow report
Conditions are good, but not great.
snow conditions
Loads of snow overnight, the main gondola from town is open and a couple of lifts above that (maison vielle etc) but the Dolonne and Val Veny gondolas are closed today and the upper area is shut
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whitegold, conditions are just absolutely fantastic, or at least, they will be when the snow pack stabilises and the sun comes out. Probably as good as they get.
latest report
Any eye report on Chamonix area?
snow conditions
@toro, probably get better response in the Chamonix thread...but I doubt it's changed much since my last post on Sunday. This snow hasn't made it across the MB from Italy.
snow conditions
Out in Courmayeur at the moment. Conditions are *FABULOUS*. LOADS of snow - this is my fourth trip to Courmayeur over the years and I've *never* seen this much snow. The snow is in fantastic condition, we had about 10cm fresh yesterday and a little bit has been falling since about 3pm. Visibility has been an issue - with the clouds and snow, the light has been flat, and at times the low cloud has meant very limited visiblity but the fantastic snow conditions means that we have really enjoyed it

Mrs NBT is LOVING her new jacket. We backed a Kickstarter project in October or so, a couple of young ladies producing ski wear designed BY women FOR women, made in the UK. We're both firm believers in supporting local business where possible rather than buying cheap stuff made in a sweatshop and shipped halfway across the world. As usual, things ran a little late so the planned shipping date of mid-January slipped a little and it was looking like early to mid-Feb - not great given that we flew out here on Feb 4th. However the girls at Snooks were *brilliant* and pulled out all the stops to get one of the first jackets off the line shipped out to us in time to take it away with us

It's great. The jacket is well designed and feels lovely and light. I'll let Mrs NBT feedback more in due time, but I can HIGHLY recommend Snooks. They rock.

(hope the pics work)

Courmayeur. Fantastic conditions. Jane loves her new Snooks Union Jacket by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Courmayeur. Fantastic conditions. Jane loves her new Snooks Union Jacket by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr
snow conditions
Was up there on the weekend.

Sunny then snowed a bit Sunday. Good conditions, weren't too many people before about 11am, so hit the Youla a couple of times whilst there was minimal queuing.

Went up from Dolonne, by far the easiest way in my opinion.
snow report
Sorry to hijack the weather thread.

I'm thinking of a cheeky weekend to Courmayeur mid March.

I can get a decent deal on a room at the Stella del Nord which seems to be equidistant between Dolonne and the main lift on that side of the river. Anyone stayed there ?
I'm thinking 300m to the lifts and back at the end of the day,then dump the skis,then a 10 minute walk into the town for some après won't be too much of a faff?

Where is this mythical Bar Roma ?

What's the score with the itineraries in Courmayeur ? Are they like the itineraries in Verbier or would a guide be recommended to get the best out of the area for two competent skiers.

Is the VB recommended ?( conditions permitting )
latest report
Bar Roma is at the southern end of the main pedestrian street in town (near the Hotel Courmayeur which appears on Google Maps). The American Bar is in the middle - the Bar Des Guides is towards the northern end. It only takes ten minutes to walk the whole street anyway. Google maps suggests a 20 minute walk from your suggested hotel to the Bar Roma - it also suggests 20 minutes from the Dei Camosci where we stayed, which sounds about right

Personally I'd recommend a guide for itineraries, once you start on them there's no going back and at least some of them will require knowledge of where to exit valleys to get back to your intended destination: note however I've not done any of them as I've never been there with anyone else prepared to go and pay for a guide. Equally I've never done the VB due to the conditions or company being unfavourable. A couple of chaps from our hotel last week did it and said it was an excellent day out.
ski holidays
@hedley, The VB depends on your ability, we did it on our 5th week of skiing, first part was too difficult, particularly the mogul field, thennafter that is a long flat schuss out toward the exit to Cham. We were the least experienced in our group, the guide was fairly vocal I saying we shouldn't have been there, and he was right !
The distance for your accom is fine, nice warm up and warm down each day, if you hire your skis from once of the rental places on Plan Checruit ( the arrival area of both of the main lifts) you can store skis and boots overnight, we use Lo Chalet through Skiset
snow conditions
@hedley, the “itineraries” are unmarked and unsecured and probably don’t really qualify as itineraries at all. They are all highly dependant on good snow conditions to be safe from avalanche.

This is the bottom of one from March last year.
latest report
@hedley, if you’ve not skied the VB this would be a great year to do it with the record snow depths. If in Courmayeur also consider the Vallee Noir, a less skied variant starting from the Hellbronner. There is a bus back to Courmayeur from Cham train station which needs to be booked in advance. If it hasn’t snowed there will be plenty of tracks to follow but be aware that there are lots of crevasses (maybe more filled in this year) and people fall in them every year so caution is required
snow report
Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone.

@BobinCH, its booked 17-20 March so I've got 3.5 days to fill Smile

I'm going with my eldest son and we are both competent skiers both on and off piste.

I'm planning on a day in Courmayeur hooning around to get the legs back in,then a day with a guide. I've got to do VB /Hellbronner as I'm not sure the opportunity will present itself again for us both to ski it together again soon.

I will see what the conditions are like nearer the time though,if its favourable then I don't mind coughing up for a guided day, if not the maybe a trip to LaThuile for a day too.
snow conditions
Busy on the mountain today, last day of the Carnivale. Pistes in good condition, temperature 6 degrees at 13:00hrs but not affecting the snow too much, colder temperatures forecast for the rest of the week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy