Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EasyJet WARNING - priority bag drop

Poster: A snowHead
NO PRIORITY BAG DROP for EasyJet at Geneva

We use EasyJet a lot (15-20 times a year), for both business and leisure, and I normally do not have a bad word to say about them. In fact I prefer to fly EasyJet (as do my kids) than BA and am happy to tell others about the positive experiences.

BUT - I had an issue this year at Geneva that others may either have also experienced, or should be warned of. I raised the issue with easyJet 2 weeks ago, to give them an opportunity to respond and resolve. They have not done so, so I have to assume what I experiences is indeed policy.

We purchased UpFront seats as we always do for ski holiday, in order to get the priority bag drop (as queues for bag drop can be horrendous at Geneva, made worse by the fact that I have 4 kids!). On Sunday 25th Feb we we made our way to the EasyJet Plus section where we always drop bags, desks were quiet only 3 out of 6 manned desks had any customers at them. EasyJet lady guarding access to these desks refused us entry (and was quite rude about it) after checking a list of flights. We were flying to Edinburgh and had a bit less than 2 hours before the flight was due to leave. I complained, she just shrugged and directed us to the general bag drop queue (which was quite large). I found another member of staff to whom I also complained as purchase of UpFront seats includes priority bag drop (as well as speedy boarding, which I am actually not that bothered about. She also refuses access to the EasyJet plus desks, after some more explanation and showing her the relevant EasyJet website pages, she eventually took us on a convoluted journey to by-pass the queue and get to the "Special Assistance" desk. By no means a disaster as cost us an extra 25 mins or so but not what I was expecting, not what I have previously experienced, and not what I paid for. I wonder if anyone else had any problems with this that weekend?

As an aside they then tried to force us into the new security lanes accessed through a corridor next to the EasyJet desks, and were unhappy when I refused as I had also purchased priority security which only operates on the first floor.

Anyway thought others should be aware. I have always been happy paying the extra for quick bag drop and security given we have 4 small kids in tow, and have always had excellent service in the past. I must say I am quite annoyed as it is so out of keeping with how it normally all works. I will continue to push EasyJet on why it happened and what I can expect when I pay the extra for this service.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@zikomo, We do the same, never any issues, keep us updated as this is a bit of a game changer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@zikomo,
Quote:

I had also purchased priority security

Sorry, slightly o/t, but is that entirely separate from what you get (or used to get!) from EJ? I was having an argument about this with someone just the other week, who insisted that EJ Upfront got them priority through security as well as through bag drop. I flew BA and purchased priority security from the airport website, nothing to do with BA or - I presumed - any other airline in particular.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got nothing bad to say about EJ apart from they've just lost my skis! Quick to respond though!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
@zikomo,
Quote:

I had also purchased priority security

Sorry, slightly o/t, but is that entirely separate from what you get (or used to get!) from EJ? I was having an argument about this with someone just the other week, who insisted that EJ Upfront got them priority through security as well as through bag drop. I flew BA and purchased priority security from the airport website, nothing to do with BA or - I presumed - any other airline in particular.

I think it's only Easyjet Plus (the annual membership thingy) which gets you free priority security. I have it and you get free seat selection in any category, speedy boarding and priority security. It's worth it if you do more than a certain number of flights a year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sarah, ah, thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hurtle, I had purchased priority security direct from Geneva Airport, it is not included with UpFront seats. I have to say security has improved at Geneva and the queues didn't look too bad, but it was only CHF8 each so worth it for peace of mind in my view. I also purchased it from Edinburgh airport on the way out.

EasyJet Plus Card gives you priority security, as does the "FLEX" ticket. Up Front seats (normally!) entitles you to seats in the first few rows (not really that great a benefit as we are always waiting for luggage anyway), priority bag drop (the main benefit at Geneva in my view) and speedy boarding but not priority security (which you need to arrange separately).

It is actually worth it for me to get the EasyJet Plus card, just never got round to it. Not worth it for the family though, they don't fly as often as I do.

It's a shame as I am happy to pay the extra, and when it works I end up with a great experience.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From EJ, " Up Front seats

(Free with FLEXI tickets and for easyJet Plus cardholders)

A seat in rows 2-6 (rows 2-5 on some aircraft), plus an additional small under seat bag (laptop or handbag), dedicated bag drop and Speedy Boarding."

Nothing about priority security. Mind you, that's not always faster at Geneva.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
From EJ, " Up Front seats

(Free with FLEXI tickets and for easyJet Plus cardholders)

A seat in rows 2-6 (rows 2-5 on some aircraft), plus an additional small under seat bag (laptop or handbag), dedicated bag drop and Speedy Boarding."

In that case if they didn't have any additional text stating the dedicated bag drop doesn't apply to Geneva airport then prima facie Easyjet were in breach of their T's and C's....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, Yes that is what the easyJet website says, which is where my information came from (and I assume Sarah too). The post was about the lack of priority bag drop, I made a comment about priority security so those who have purchased it know not to be forced into the overflow security area accessed via the ground floor next to the EasyJet check-in desks. Sorry if that was not clear, I thought it was in both the posts I made.

They have revamped priority security and I would say it is almost always going to be quicker now. But it is also true that the regular security area has been revamped and seems much more efficient, so how much time you will save by purchasing priority security is debatable. Certainly when I went through on 25 Feb there was not much of a queue for the regular security area, probably 5 mins max. So the CHF8 might not always be worth it for some but seems good value to me. Interesting that at Terminal 5 it is often slower in the priority queue, they just don't seem to be able to manage it properly!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, Yes, and if they don't respond I will go down the small claims route for the breach. Just to be make a point, in hopes that it will create enough noise to ensure they make the service available in the future! EasyJet via Geneva is really the only sensible option for the 3 or 4 trips a year we make, and it makes such a difference to have the priority bag drop when the airport is busy. And as I said I am more than happy to pay extra for the convenience.

I have always used the easyJet Plus desks with no issues before, this is the first time this has happened and I just want to make sure it is the last.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the flight out to GVA from Luton on Saturday morning EJ were taking hand luggage and insisting that’s it went into the hold. I pointed out that’s my boot&helmet bag had a rip in it (happened as I walked from the car park, so I was already unhappy) and I was allowed to take my bag into the cabin... but almost everyone had their bags tagged and into the hold.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@zikomo, Yes, there is definitely a priority bag drop at Geneva. I have used it since being an Easyjet Plus holder and before when I just had Upfront seats purchased like you. Never had a problem. In fact quite the opposite as two friends I was with who did not have Upfront were allowed with me to the bag drop! Sounds like you were unlucky with difficult staff on that particular day.

The Geneva priority security is definitely worth it whichever way you get it.

Likewise Manchester Fast Track Security for £5 is really worth it. Also new Fasttrack Arrivals can be really worth it on occasion. Can be difficult to predict the queues though.

Recently bought Fast Track at Turin and nearly asked for a refund as it was decidely slower as it only fed to one scanner and lots of staff kept going through jumping the queue.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sarah, Thanks @sarah,

Like you, I have used the priority bag drop at Geneva more times than I care to remember and have also never had a problem. It exists, makes a huge difference, and I should have access as purchased Up Front seats. It was not just one member of staff on this occasion, and their response so far has been poor to say the least. What I am pointing out is that on that day they chose to refuse access to Up Front seat customers (I suspect to keep desks free for late arriving passengers following what would have been one of the busiest transfer days of the season on the Saturday). There was no need as I said, 3 of the easyJet Plus desks were manned but free.

I just want to see if anyone else had a problem, and also do what I can to make sure it does not happen again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you tweet them they will respond right away.

I paid for speedy boarding from BIO to EDI and wasn't allowed to board in the priority queue. So a quick tweet on landing nd had my money refunded.
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, Thanks. I don't tweet but messaged them on Facebook. Promised a detailed answer in 7 - 10 days, not response hence posting here.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, As am aside, can you send a tweet if you don't have an account? Might try signing up just to have another avenue.
snow report
just got back from geneva, we booked up front tickets to get the priority check in, and we had no problems, the lady checking the boarding passes saw the SB on the ticket and pointed us to the easyjet plus and speedy boarding check in desks...dead easy, but if you want priority to get through the security and search control lanes then you have to buy a ticket from geneva airport on line for about a fiver
latest report
Just ignore them if they try to force/ guide you to nasty security shed

They have no authority
snow report
@zikomo, if you fly as often as 15-20 times a year then easyJet Plus cards for you and your family are a no-brainer:-

Quote:
Fees

Annual easyJet Plus membership costs just £170.00.

Further membership cards for adult colleagues, family or friends can be ordered for just £149.00 each. Extra membership cards for children cost £99.00 each and are only available to under-18s who live at the same postal address as the original easyJet Plus card membership holder.
snow report
@Gaza, I can’t remember the figures but I think the break even point is maybe 5-6 return trips a year.
I think it’s good if you’re going to get the use of it.
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
@zikomo, if you fly as often as 15-20 times a year then easyJet Plus cards for you and your family are a no-brainer:-

Quote:
Fees

Annual easyJet Plus membership costs just £170.00.

Further membership cards for adult colleagues, family or friends can be ordered for just £149.00 each. Extra membership cards for children cost £99.00 each and are only available to under-18s who live at the same postal address as the original easyJet Plus card membership holder.

Yes it is worth it for me, as I said. I should get round to getting one.

No it is not worth it for the family, I have done the maths.

And frankly it is not the point. I should have access to the priority bag drop by purchasing Up Front seats, it is a clear benefit of paying for this, which I did not het on this occasion.
snow conditions
@zikomo, I wasn't arguing that you weren't entitled to it. Clearly you should have been. I was suggesting that based on your words "We use EasyJet a lot (15-20 times a year)," that you'd be better off buying Plus membership for you and all your family. I guess what you are saying is that you use easyJet 15-20 times a year but the rest of your family fly less.

I had a similar run-in with easyJet staff at Milan. They insisted I could not pool my luggage allowance (I had a bag and ski bag booked) and my skibag was too heavy (24kg) although my total weight was less than the allowed 40kg. Despite me showing them the website they continued to argue with me. I stood my ground and demand to see a manager. After about 10 minutes more arguing they said they would "make an exception" and allow the bags to be checked in.

I contacted the carolyn@easyjet.com email address when I got back but received a wishy-washy reply.
latest report
@Gaza, Correct - as I said above, I fly a lot more than the rest of the family.

I had a similar experience re luggage pooling at Edinburgh last year. Stood my ground also, once a supervisor (finally) came issue was sorted with an apology.

Generally, as I have said many times, I like EasyJet and often sing their praises. But I do expect to get what I have paid for, and for them to provide the services that they charge for. It is very annoying (and worrying) when they fail to do so - especially at Geneva which can be a nightmare for check-in. It's not so much that we were in any danger of missing the flight, more that we are used to a hassle-free journey through the airport. We plan, and pay, for that with Up Front seats from EasyJet and priority security from GVA. It is very frustrating, disappointing, and a bit stressful when you don't get the experience you were expecting.
snow report
I have been out to Geneva 6 times this season with EJ & would never think about paying for any of their extra's, get the cheapest seat you can & use knowledge to avoid the queues. late check in normally puts you at the back where the empty seats are & EJ normally loads front & rear in Geneva.
As for speedy boarding, its the walk of shame for me, just not my thing.
snow conditions
@Jonny996, Fair enough and a reasonable position to take IMV. Speedy Boarding is of debatable value, especially if you have hold luggage as you will spend any time you save waiting for your luggage. The only exception for me is when travelling on business with carry-on luggage, the Speedy Boarding means you don't have to stand in the boarding queue for ages to make sure there is space on board for your carry on. There is no shame in it, it is something you can choose to pay for (much like business class on other carriers) or not, and I do not at all get why you would see it that way.

BUT - travelling with 4 kids, 2 large Sport Tubes and 4 cases of stuff (downside of having budding ski racers in the party!) through Geneva on a winter weekend makes the priority bag drop well worth it. Add priority security and we normally have a fairly easy and pleasant journey through the airport. Costs pennies for both the Up Front and Geneva priority security, really almost nothing especially when compared to the overall cost of our trips.
snow report
Unfortunately the EasyJet Plus card doesn’t include fast track security at my local airport, otherwise I’d be all over it. Mad
snow conditions
@zikomo, I only every have a small carry on as my gear is all out there but even my friends who do have large carry on don't have issues & EJ now let you put your carry on in the hold for £5 & that gives you priority boarding as well. You can avoid security queue but going via the French sector security. the kids are a bonus as I always see them boarding them before the general public after speedy boarding.
I could easily pay for the SB but I just don't want to sit beside the tweed jacket over compensating type of people I generally see in the front rows.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
@zikomo, I only every have a small carry on as my gear is all out there but even my friends who do have large carry on don't have issues & EJ now let you put your carry on in the hold for £5 & that gives you priority boarding as well. You can avoid security queue but going via the French sector security. the kids are a bonus as I always see them boarding them before the general public after speedy boarding.
I could easily pay for the SB but I just don't want to sit beside the tweed jacket over compensating type of people I generally see in the front rows.

Why would you want to pay £5 to let EJ put your carry on in the hold??? And if you're going to do that then you don't need priority boarding.

For me the whole point of priority boarding is to get on quickly so as to be able to be sure of keeping your carry on in the cabin with you and not having to wait at the carousel the other end. There is a very real risk of the cabin crew taking carry on luggage from late boarders to put in the hold and there's not much you can do about it.
snow report
@zikomo, I'm with you. I think when you know the potential hassles and you are willing to try to mitigate them by paying a few £ then it's frustrating to be treated like this.

My recent gripe at Geneva was that SB took place but then loaded everyone onto a bus. So the SB was to get on the bus first and there was still a scramble at the steps. Fortunately I was still able to get my carry on stored and that was my main priority.
latest report
@Jonny996, I see, a sort of reverse snobbery?!! You don't pay it because you don't like the people who do pay for it? I pay for it for very good reason, it gets me priority bag drop which is a massive benefit at Geneva. So your assumption about people sitting in the front rows is misplaced. That being said, I actually do own a tweed jacket, don't think I have ever worn it on a plane though I guess that still makes me some sort of over compensating type of person.....

Yes I know all about the French sector security trick - which does not always work by the way, and involves walking pretty much the whole length of the airport after dropping bags at EasyJet desks. And yes I know you can put your carry on in the hold for £5. And yes I know that families with kids board after speedy boarding - but only if under 5. And yes I know lots and lots about how to best get through airports as I fly pretty much every working week, often 4+ flights a week, across Europe.

You miss the point. When travelling on business (hint - not with kids), my time is constrained and it is definitely quicker to not have to wait to pick up baggage. And more efficient to not have to stand in a boarding queue for ages to ensure there is space left in the overhead lockers for your carry on. So speedy boarding is worth it, and a lot less than I (or I should say my company) pay to travel business on other airlines.
snow report
@zikomo, no need to explain yourself, I'm sure most of us completely understand your points.

I don't own a tweed jacket but I do over compensate in down jackets.
ski holidays
@sarah, I hate it when they do that with the SB! Sometimes the buses work well, where they divide a SB section off and let those passengers out first at the aircraft. It's really annoying when they don't do that and you have to scramble to find space for your carry on, which as you say is really the whole point of SB in the first place!

And I like your kind of over compensation!LOL
snow report
@zikomo, @sarah, had this, to my advantage at Innsbruck last year - couldn't be bothered to jump up in the boarding queue, so let everyone go and sauntered through, only to find the bus waiting, got on and had to stand by the doors. Bus pulled up to the steps and I was first on the plane and in the exit door seat without paying for it (pure luck)!!
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
I just want to see if anyone else had a problem, and also do what I can to make sure it does not happen again.

I went through EasyJet GVA with up front seats/priority bag drop a few weeks ago. The girl guarding the priority lane wanted to see my boarding pass (which I had on the EasyJet App and had already checked-in online). I showed it her on the phone which clearly states any extras including priority bag drop and she waved me through no issue.

So my recommendation would be to use the EJ App.
snow report
@Raceplate, As I am others have pointed out on the numerous posts above, it has not been a problem in the past getting access to the priority bag drop as the boarding pass clearly show SB. So that is not at all the issue. And I also use the app, which I find quite good.

It was a problem on this particular day, clearly. I wondered if others had experienced a similar problem (clearly you did not), and also make people aware that it did happen so they are forewarned.
latest report
@zikomo, if you fly that often, it is well worth getting an easyJet Plus card. Not only do you get free priority security and your seat choices, but if renting a car, use the EJ website when booking and book the cheapest car that Europcar have. As an EJ Plus card holder, Europcar will upgrade you at least one car group for no additional cost.

As a card holder, if you book enough flights per year you may also be invited to join their flight club. The flight club gives you a dedicated telephone helpline, no fees for flight changes (you do have to pay additional tickets costs, if they apply) and you can do 5 free name changes a year. The helpline staff are really brilliant and will sort all manner of things out for you. Also, if your flights ever went down in cost (that's never happened to me), you can apply for the saving back.

We both have Plus cards (the second card is cheaper) and think they are good value, but the flight club makes it really worthwhile using easyJet.
snow conditions
@bar shaker, I agree I should get the easyJet Plus card (which I believe I have said a few times), I know the benefits. Need to get round to it sometime....

Does not help with the particular problem I experienced in February though....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy