Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports

Mail for help.Help!!

Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend skiing near Tokyo late April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I may have a free weekend in the Tokyo area 21st/22nd April. Any thoughts on whether it's feasible to go for a weekend of skiing? And, if so, where? I've been having a look at Yuzawa, as it seems to be easy to reach from Tokyo and some of the resorts have long seasons, but I guess there might be other closer/cheaper options.
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's certainly feasible thanks to the efficient Japanese rail system, and some years ago I spent a couple of days in Yuzawa at the end of a business trip.

You can't expect Hokkaido-like powder in the Japanese Alps, and if it snows it can be pretty wet. There are a number of ski areas around Yuzawa, so you don't have to be limited to just the one (which are typically lift-rich, but piste-poor - in number, that is). Also, it might be pretty busy at a weekend, since it's one of the most convenient destinations from Tokyo.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied Echigoyuzawa for a weekend out of Tokyo in 1991. Shinkansen from Tokyo central station, ski-hire inside Echigoyuzawa station, ski-lift 10 mins walk. Very straightforward. Don't know what the conditions are like in late April though. I wonder how much it's changed snowHead
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy