Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
What wax do people use for dry slopes? Or do you just use WD40 or a silicon spray or similar?
Thank you.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Datawax Polar X. Iron on (very hot), buff it up a bit, don't bother to scrape.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fairy liquid
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Polar X. Iron it on, let it cool, iron again then scrape while hot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geeo wrote:
Fairy liquid

Seriously good for that. Get an old school bar towel get it wet and soak in Fairy Liquid. Leave at the top of the slope. Run over it before each run and enjoy Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all for your input.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for your advice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
musher wrote:
Polar X. Iron it on, let it cool, iron again then scrape while hot.

Or let it cool and chisel it off!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mosha Marc,
Try taking it off a snowboard, bloody near impossible.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to wax a lot. Now I don't bother. Technique counts for more, much more, but a spray of furnisher polish helps for those first few metres.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone know the melting point of Polar X?
Tried looking on the Interweb but can't find anything specific. What is clear from using it is that the melting point is fairly high, but how high?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skiingsteve, I usually have to turn my waxing iron up between 10-20 degrees from what I use for Zoom (which is listed as 120C). P-tex base material melts at 150, so I'm careful to get the iron only as hot as it needs to be for Polar X, whereas I might be not quite as careful with Zoom - so I'm guessing somewhere around 140.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skiingsteve,

130 on my iron
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skiingsteve, it's 120c, I don't change the setting on my iron just go a bit slower, apply as @musher, has suggested
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skiingsteve, I set my iron to 130c
snow conditions
Tried this today and it seemed to work quite well.
Set iron to 130c and iron on Polar X. Leave to cool to the usual rock hard/brittle consistency.
Then set iron to 75c and lightly warm the wax. Scraped off pretty easily and buffed up well with a bronze brush.
ski holidays
@Tubaski, the base melts at a lot lower than 150°, you just don’t leave the iron on it. Cold waxes are ironed at 150/155
latest report
Mr Sheens furniture polish works a treat on dry slope
latest report
As does KY.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy