Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is "Head Supershape Rally" 2018 an overkill for an intermediate-advanced level woman?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
My daughter is 14 years old 171 cm.(5.6 feet) & 63 kg (138 lbs.) intermediate-advanced skier. She is confidently skiing all day long mainly on red and just starts trying black ski runs in Europe. She now uses beginner to intermediate Rossignol Sintered ZR 152 cm. but needs a new pair.

I wonder if 156 cm. Head Supershape Rally will be good for her to advance or it will be an overkill and better switch to 158 cm. Head Super Joy?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-03-18 17:53; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stiff ski but a great ski, to for it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go for it. If she is 171cm tall, then she is more like 5ft 7. Despite her age, with her height and weight, I’m wondering 156 might be a little too short. At 14, and already that height, might she grow even more in the next 12 months? Are you buying new? In which case it might be worth either buying the next length up, or finding a decent second hand pair.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
FWIW. Given your Daughter's age and level (Advanced Intermediate)...and the stiffness of the ski....and the fact it will be a blind purchase - my advice would be to treat it like a Slalom ski and go with the 156.

IMO. The 163 is the very longest length that would be advisable - but if it proves too much, will undermine any confidence that has been built up...so is a risk not worth taking - especially as she won't "out ski" the 156.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For the last 6 months she didn't grow anymore. I prefer to buy them new. Also according to the weight, skill level and cautious style she should choose 154 cm. (https://www.skis.com/size-chart/skis,default,pg.html).

There is no doubt that the Rally are great ski. The real question is if this model is OK for her or its too heavy, stiff and fast and she won't control them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Given this statement: "Also according to the weight, skill level and cautious style", I would question the wisdom of the iRally...and think the less risky option would be the Super Joy.

IMO. The Rally is for a reasonably strong technical skier, or at least one with a more "go for it" style....and will likely be suitable in a couple of years. I know the temptation is to jump that gap, but if you judge it wrong, a ski that is too stiff, could prevent decent progress (which is greatly dependent on confidence).

If there was an option to demo, there would not be a problem, but since that is not the case, it comes down to probability ie. What is the likelihood of the Super Joy being too Soft, versus the likelihood the Rally being too Stiff....remember, IIRC the Super Joy is Head's top "Women Specific" recreational Piste ski.

Your other option, is go for the Rossi Famous 6, pocket the saving and then go up to the likes of the Rally when she is ready.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Discussed with the family the three options and decided to skip Famous 6 and go for Super Joy. I don't think it is a soft ski. In all reviews it is mentioned as a medium stiff one.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vazmuten wrote:
Discussed with the family the three options and decided to skip Famous 6 and go for Super Joy. I don't think it is a soft ski. In all reviews it is mentioned as a medium stiff one.

Personally, I think this is the right decision, which you probably picked up in my various replies....but it is a decision you had to arrive at, not pushed by me (or anyone).

Come back and let us know how it works out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You must try before you buy.

I'm really partial to Head Magnums, I've rented them for 11 days altogether.

But I also rented a pair of Head Super Shape i.Race World Cup Rebels (what a long name)
Although I'm a pretty good skier (or like to think I am)
These skis made a monkey out of me.

I just could not get the hang of them.
If you are buying skis ... buy them in the resort where any good ski shop will let you rent a range of skis
Then you can either buy them at the end of the week and usually the rental cost discounted and you get a brand new factory fresh pair, or just give them back and pay the rental.

The only reason not to do this is if your are buying 2nd hand or you are getting a massive discount.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We changed a little the measurements based on previous year weight (68 kg) and future improvement and now it should be calculated as:
Height: 172 cm.(5.7 feet)
Weight: 70 kg (154 lbs.)
Skill level: Advanced
Style: Average
Terrain: Groomers/Piste

According to some online calculators she should take no less then 163 cm. so we decide to choose this length. Is this correct?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
vazmuten wrote:
We changed a little the measurements based on previous year weight (68 kg) and future improvement and now it should be calculated as:
Height: 172 cm.(5.7 feet)
Weight: 70 kg (154 lbs.)
Skill level: Advanced
Style: Average
Terrain: Groomers/Piste

According to some online calculators she should take no less then 163 cm. so we decide to choose this length. Is this correct?

Purely going on those different stats, you are looking at 167 - 173

If going with Advanced Intermediate, then the range is 164 - 170 for Average speed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy