Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pila driving/parking practicalities

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, is there mid-stay type parking in Aosta? If staying up on the hill in Pila, can we park down in the town and get the gondola up, effectively abandoning the car until we come back down again a few (~3) days later?

Won't have much luggage so no problem carrying it to and fro.

I'm sure I should be able to find this out for myself but couldn't!

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@VodkaSorbet, there's free parking at the gondola in Aosta but no idea if you can leave it there for 3 days.

We left our car in a free car park near where we were staying for 4 days without returning to it and it was only about 5/10 mins walk from the gondola.
Parking côté Est de la ville
Address: Viale Partigiani, 84, 11100 Aosta AO, Italy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 8-03-18 19:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you can but I am out there next week and will look to see if there any signs, if we go down to Aosta.

You can drive up the hill in 20mins to Pila and you can leave it there ok. Mind last year the road was a foot deep in snow and everything had chains on to get up - even then it was tricky.

When do you need to know by?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@VodkaSorbet, just park in the gondola station in Aosta. It’s a 30-40 minute drive to Pila.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much for the info (and the offer Jake43) - it sounds as though I will find somewhere OK. Not driving up in the snow, not for no-one!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
VodkaSorbet wrote:
Thanks so much for the info (and the offer Jake43) - it sounds as though I will find somewhere OK. Not driving up in the snow, not for no-one!

Over last 7 years only once would you have needed more than summer tyres. On that trip it was horrendous though and I would have been leaving the car at Aosta too. I am pretty sure there is no limit on the Gondola CarPark as I have not seen any signage.
Note the gondola stops at 5pm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jake43, it’s illegal to not have winter tires or chains here and every winter there’s plenty of pretty bad days on that switchback with all the hairpins.

Good point re gondola it’s a pain , the bus only runs an hour later
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all, I am looking at taking the family to Aosta/ Pila next Easter. Has anyone got any experiences or recommendations, positive or negative of school ski schools for young children? My two will be 4 and 6 and neither have skied previously (though we are planning to take them to Hemmel for a few sessions).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VodkaSorbet, Sometimes the car parks need to be clear once a week for street cleaning but I'm not 100% sure if the main one is included. I think it's private so perhaps not.

It's usually well signed but would be a pain if staying in Pila. However, I'm pretty sure there are usually vehicles that have not moved for a while.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Penzanceopinion, we use Carole at Pilaski.co.uk as she lives there in the winter (she is actually scottish) and organises everything other than flights for us. She is close to both the ski schools so would advise you, even if you don't book it through her. We find it is easier doing everything through her.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jake43, Many thanks for the lead, I will take a look into it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy