Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

helmets for touring.

Poster: A snowHead
I know there are some on this forum that think helmets are the work of the devil, that's fine by me, but this question isn't aimed at you. Please don't turn this into yet another "I hate helmets" thread.

Of those that do wear a helmet for touring which one do you wear?

Are there any light weight models that aren't too hot out there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a Salewa helmet from a few years back but don't generally wear it while skining up unless it's really cold/windy.

Test in German
https://www.bergwelten.com/lp/11-skitourenhelme-im-praxistest

https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use my standard Sweet Trooper, but have it on my backpack while going uphill.

Best helmet on the market IMO, and there are a very limited set of circumstances (or places/routes I can think of or regularly go to) where I'd want any helmet on while going up hill.

Though if you're regularly booting/climbing up steep couloirs or under faces where rock/ice fall is a realistic prospect, this may be an option: https://sweetprotection.com/sp_no/snow/helmets/helmets/igniter-alpiniste-helmet
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@OwenM, I don't wear one either up or down and same is true of many ski tourers, apart from the Brits it seems!

That said I now see a few light weight climbing casques being used by locals, namely the Petzl light weight one, think this is it
https://www.petzl.com/CA/en/Sport/Helmets/SIROCCO

As I sweat like a pig in all weathers I just wear a Buff for the up rolling eyes

I was looking at my HR on my track log from yesterday when I was breaking track on a variety of snow pack and having to do a fair number of kick turns and HR was in the 160's no wonder I was a tad knackered, then it went down to 140's when I picked up a track from the day before!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the quick responses, some interesting examples there. I agree they would only be worth wearing going downhill, so the lighter weight the better.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a quicksilver one, use it only on the way down unless really windy/cold, think it weighs approx 340 grams, i.e. you barely notice it on ur pack
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wore the Dynafit Radical touring specific helmet on a ski touring intro course last year and it was pretty good. Amazingly light weight (for a helmet) to carry on the way up and it felt secure on the way down, although I didn't try it on anything solid.... It was very well ventilated with a removable liner that doubled as a thin hat on its own, but had enough insulation for the bad weather. If I was going to wear one regularly, I would probably chose this one again if it were still available.

I don't think they make it anymore, but checking the website I assume the new ones are more or less the same, although pretty pricey.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@OwenM, There are a few convertible ones that are certified for skiing / climbing and some cases MTB.

A prime example is the Cebe Triology, which has removable sections depending on use. Then there lightweight helmets like the K2 route, which gets very good reviews.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PowderAdict wrote:
@OwenM, There are a few convertible ones that are certified for skiing / climbing and some cases MTB.

Yes my Salewa helmet is a muti function one - not sure they make it anymore.
https://www.climbers-shop.com/10905627/products/salewa-xenon-helmet.aspx

The fit of helmets can be very different even when from the same manufacturer so best to try on before you buy if you can.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poc fornix is worth a look: very light and has a tough outer shell. Again, I only wear it on the descents.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Using a Salomon QST charge for touring and like it
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Salomon mtn lab is worth checking. It feels solid and very light. So far I mostly used it downhill.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I carried a climbing helmet with me on my last multi-day trip. Never wore it. I'll try to leave it behind next time.
I tend to carry a ski helmet on side-country trips with moderate skinning where I'm not dealing with the weight associated with glacier travel.
Could not possibly wear one on the uphill. I'd melt.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone, I managed to find a Petzl helmet that's only 320g so I've ordered one.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dynafit

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/fr/dynafit-st-casque-de-ski?currency=EUR

not sure I'd wear a helmet for general touring but I know people who do. I wear one in areas where there is a risk of stonefall / couloir or steep skiing. The advantage with the Dynafit helmet is it is a proper ski helmet rather than a climbing helmet (I note that the Salewa is also ski certified). I have a friend who died after hitting the side of his head who was wearing a climbing helmet. A good skier too.
ski holidays
OwenM wrote:
Thanks everyone, I managed to find a Petzl helmet that's only 320g so I've ordered one.

Is that a typo? Which Petzl is that? What are you hoping the helmet will protect you from? The Petzl helmets are climbing/mountaineering helmets that are only tested for an impact from above, they won't necessarily help you much in a fall or anything that involves an impact from the side.
latest report
K2 route is a good lid for touring / ski mountaineering but only with smaller goggles. I wear my helmet when riding off piste through the trees
ski holidays
Poc receptor backcountry MIPS has been a cracking helmet for me. Removable vent cover to help the air flow even more.
latest report
K2 route is a good lid for touring / ski mountaineering but only with smaller goggles. I wear my helmet when riding off piste through the trees
snow conditions
Just to update this thread in case anyone is remotely interested. The petzl helmet arrived but I wasn't impressed so sent it back. I then went for a Dynafit ST https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/fr/dynafit-st-casque-de-ski?currency=EUR It finally arrived today after being stuck in a snow drift somewhere. It looks much better and doesn't look like it will be quite as hot as most helmets I've looked at. I'll be out touring at the weekend so I'll try it then.
snow report
POC Fornix is my choice, but it's still skiing helmet, so for skinning up, it's on my backpack, as it's just too hot for this, even at -20c Smile
snow conditions
@OwenM, assuming you are only wanting it for the down? as others said it'll be too hot on the up, I wear a floppy sun hat for the up with helmet strapped to my backpack.
snow conditions
[quote="kitenski"] Yes that's the general idea.
snow report
OwenM wrote:
Just to update this thread in case anyone is remotely interested. The petzl helmet arrived but I wasn't impressed so sent it back. I then went for a Dynafit ST https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/fr/dynafit-st-casque-de-ski?currency=EUR It finally arrived today after being stuck in a snow drift somewhere. It looks much better and doesn't look like it will be quite as hot as most helmets I've looked at. I'll be out touring at the weekend so I'll try it then.

I think that is a good choice, let us know how you got on.

Another consideration, if you want a more climb / ski tour oriented helmet is the Kong Cosmos.
snow report
Just back from a weekend at Drumochter, lots of heather bashing, deer fence climbing and carrying skis for a very short ski down on wet sticky snow in a whiteout. You need a scene of humor to ski tour in Scotland. The helmet was very comfortable but I didn't test it's shock absorption quality. I just clip it to my rucksack by the chinstrap but it kept swing around annoyingly, I'll have to work out a better way of carrying it. It is very light so I can't say I noticed the extra weight. Hopefully I'll have better conditions next weekend.
ski holidays
@OwenM, you need to clip it in twice, so the chin strap is taught across the back, which stops it swinging about....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy