Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niche in the market?

Poster: A snowHead
I was on a flight to Geneva to visit Chamonix recently, travelling solo to meet a friend who lives there.. however got chatting to a guy sat next to me and i explained that i have skiied all my life, have a passion for it and absolutely love it.. however 3 years married my husband has only joined me once and simply isn't bothered..

isn't bothered:
- doesn't want to be in a lesson on his own all day
- doesn't want to spend money doing something he simply isn't fussed about
- probably thinks he will never be able to ski with me / our friends

he is massively in the minority but as this is such a passion of mine i would absolutely love him to learn, join and share it with me.. especially IF we are to have kids in the future etc etc..

Is there a gap in the market for a chalet/holiday/ski company that puts couples/friends together of a mixed ability?? You meet/have dinner/drinks etc together but during day go off and ski with similar-ability people / have lessons etc?

Even writing this i feel slightly selfish. But hey.. I am not about to give up something i LOVE so much!! Throwing the idea out there!

OR if anyone knows of a company already set up please shout!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@alice1001, you have just described a snowHeads bash!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
deleted... tech malfunction by PeakyB

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 8-03-18 8:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PeakyB wrote:
@alice1001, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Are you thinking of filling that niche? Hope Chamonix was great, reminds me I need to get back there after 9 year gap.

In my case, not a company, not even formal or profit making. But I've arranged a few such hols for groups of friends and 'friends who just haven't met each other yet' over the years.

I'm lucky in that a) I have a wife (a miracle, not just lucky) who likes skiing, so we go together quite often. b) I'm keener of us two and early retired now, so go several weeks a season c) have quite a few snow/mountain type friends, who also have other friends, all keen to do exactly what you describe. d) we tend to like similar sorts of areas, the biggies that offer a range of accommodation, lots of mountains and skiing/non-skiing activities to suit all sorts of needs. I have one example on the go right now and am sorting another for mid April.

The other thing, not luck, is that I've been a snow/mountain 'nerd' for many years, like travel and exploring generally anyway. So I've built up information about where to go, ways to get there, what's on offer where, how the winter hol market works, etc. What London cabbies might call 'the knowledge'. What I don't know, which is plenty, I know someone personally who'll tell me.

I'm not even fit to clean and do up the buckles on @admin'sski boots (when he can stir himself to put them on these days) wink ) but I can find my way around. Even thinking of Japan as a big trip on distant horizon, maybe 2019 @admin? I've made positive preliminary enquiries already.

snowHead bashes are great, big, good value. I came late to that scene but hope to do more, if selected. The ones I fix are much smaller, lower key, more expensive but competitive. I pay same price as everyone else but do most of the work. Just that kinda guy, stupid.

Keep doing what inspires you. Tell husband?...do something at least once a year that takes you WAY out of comfort zone. I wash up crockery annually.
Lucky not all like skiing, Alps crowded enough. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alice1001, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I can only echo what holidayloverxx said about a snowHeads bash. Admin arranges a number of good value trips during the course of the season, and the people on them range from young to old and from beginners through to really advanced skiers (and boarders). Look at these threads about bashes:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47357&start=120
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49389
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52715
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the first question is, does your husband like sports generally, and the second is, does he appreciate snow / cold weather.

I live in Portugal and some people's attitude here is incomprehensible to me, like mine is incomprehensible to them. They look at me blankly and say "But why would I want to spend money to be cold? I could buy a ticket to Brazil for that, far nicer." Here, huge fur coats come out when the temp drops below 10C.

Group lessons for beginners can be good - of course it depends on the instructor - and sociable, generally people falling over and laughing at each other. You learn faster with private but I agree it's rather solitary for a few days so you need to be dedicated.

There is a plus side. If he doesn't go, you can afford to go more Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Orange200,

Yes, divides opinion like marmite does snow & cold v sun & warmth. Personally always give priority to snow, with sun thrown in, usually anyway.

Must admit to being tempted by 5***** ALL INCLUSIVE week in La Palma, small Canary Isle, with convenient weekend flights, temp max 21c, mostly sunny all week, for £460pp.

Exactly same week in most popular parts of Alps, equivalent standard deal around £1000, before you've treated yourself to a circa 300 euro lift pass and hot choc on the mountain.

How does that work? Not the cut and thrust of supply v demand surely, given that EK visitors this season reported to be down 7% on an already deflated 2017 market?

(cue Eastern European ski fans for bargain hols tales) wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I need to look more into this home-swapping business. Someone can have mine for a bit in summer (we usually bug off, too hot) if they can get me a place to stay by good snow during school holidays. I think my wife is hesitant though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
www.singlesport.com
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Orange200, I'll swap Black Country for Portugal next Feb. Loads of snow here half term. Pubs amazing and half price of Alps wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had you considered meeting him half-way with a thermal resort holiday, perhaps based in a ski resort or even in the valley? Where we ski, down in the valley there's a great thermal resort, the Bains de Saillon (https://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/) and across on the other side from our village, a combined thermal/ski resort of Ovronnaz (http://www.ovronnaz.ch/en/). This is the Swiss Valais area, but I'm sure there are lots of equivalent resorts across the Alps.

Some of my relatives don't ski, and have solved the skier+non issue by doing snowshoeing («racquettes») as part of the holiday. Yes, this works better if there are 4+ of you and one of the 3 skiers can accompany the snowshoe person in rotation. It has made us realise how often we skied in really poor/unrewarding conditions, just because there was no alternative. So now, even with just 2 of us, we'll usually snowshoe a couple of days out of a week, particularly if the Weekend is busy on the slopes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hubby probably likes a week at home to himself...

Very important to keep one's own interests and hobbies - even more important not to force them on one's spouse
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@alice1001, Perhaps get him interested to do some lessons in the UK and once he improves could share in the holiday with you. perhaps doing morning lessons in the mountains and skiing with you in afternoon?

Quote:

if anyone knows of a company already set up please shout!!

We do just this, click on the link below to Inside Out Skiing Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have had a husband like this for years. He’d rather treat himself to a fishing holiday or spend several days out of the office watching cricket. All FAR too sedentary and quiet for me. So what I recommend highly is heading off to the slopes with your girlfriends! We have so much fun and now, having been doing it for 10 years+, our ‘weekends’ have become 10 day trips! Rally the troops together and head off with the girls. Can’t recommend it enough!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@alice1001, I'm afraid you broke one of life's cardinal rules - Never marry someone who isn't compatible on a skiing holiday. It's not so much that skiing is the be all and end all, simply that coaxing/being coaxed down a steep slope in the fog/rain/snow on your second ever day's skiing is the perfect stress test. If you can get through a week like that smiling then anything else marriage throws at you is easy peasy.

One of the reasons my parents enjoyed a long and happy marriage was they had a golden rule of taking at least one holiday apart every year. Worked a treat! Maybe you will just have to accept that your husband, whom you clearly married in error(!), will never share your love of skiing and you should just enjoy it with other friends.
snow report
put him on a snowboard. once you get over the basics, its will be quicker for him to get upto speed & go all over the mountain with you.
snow conditions
1) don't give up skiing.
2) take the kids when you have them and they are old enough (I wish I'd learned as a kid).
3) tell him he needs to go skiing with the kids or he is depriving them of a life skill, and he'd better start to learn now as they will learn quicker when they arrive.
4) take him to a snowdome or dry slope for lessons.
5) divorce him and marry Graham Bell instead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy