Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves or mitts?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this has been covered before but I've had a quick scan and can't find a thread on it. What do you prefer and why? I'm about to buy some new handwear and wondered if I should try mitts having always previously worn gloves and been happy with them.

I usually do a bit of skiing as well so want to have something that will be at least adequate for both. I've also broken a few fingers and a thumb recently which are still a bit painful/under-strength so I wonder if, on the margins, mitts might offer a bit more protection/less likelihood of fingers getting bent back.

All advice gratefully received. Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK, so I've always sworn by gloves, Hestra gloves in particular BUT I bought some Black Diamond mitts (reduced in snow and rock atm) and OH MY!! I bought them for skiing and snowmobiling and they are flipping fantastic. They have and extra finger hole in the lining so a half way house between a mitt and a 3 finger glove. Just perfect.

Ok so if you kit faff a lot and have kids, not ideal as they are on and off, but unlike gloves they are quicker to put on and hands warm up super quick.

I still wear liners, but only because they are on and off faffing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loved my gloves until I tried the equivalent mitts when it got really cold and the gloves weren't doing enough for me. So warm, and quite the opposite of the "restricted hands" feeling I was expecting, it turns out I rather like having my digits roaming free inside that little bubble of warmth. No problems doing up my bindings etc.

I can't say they feel any more secure as far as finger-breaking goes though, but I suppose an individual finger is less likely to catch on something so your idea there makes some sense.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 24-01-18 23:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mitts are warmer, gloves are cooler. Very Happy

Wear which ever you want.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But that's the problem - I don't KNOW what I want! :drama: Seriously though, useful advice folks so thank you. Think I might get a pair of each. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I never even wear my Hestra's anymore. I go for Mountain Equipment Randonee gloves, they have a pile lining so even if they get damp they remain warm. They are actually an alpine mountaineering glove and can be bought fairly cheaply in the sales. If it gets really cold (below -15C) just pop on a pair of gore-tex gauntlets or a thin mitt over the top.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Simple - Lobster gloves. All the benefits of having a thumb and forefinger free with the warmth of a mitt.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For cycling I've got a pair of lobster gloves/mits for cold weather which combine dexterity and warmth. Ski equipment appears to go down the one and three fingered division although Fischer do an authentic two and two lobster glove which makes it easy to do Mr. Spock's Vulcan salute should you wish.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
vinerower wrote:
Sorry if this has been covered before but I've had a quick scan and can't find a thread on it. What do you prefer and why? I'm about to buy some new handwear and wondered if I should try mitts having always previously worn gloves and been happy with them.

I usually do a bit of skiing as well so want to have something that will be at least adequate for both. I've also broken a few fingers and a thumb recently which are still a bit painful/under-strength so I wonder if, on the margins, mitts might offer a bit more protection/less likelihood of fingers getting bent back.

For those who can not make up ther mind: Goves og Mitts???

https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine-pro/30572-army-leather-heli-ski/560/

You can get other colors though. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
t4tomo wrote:
Mitts are warmer, gloves are cooler. Very Happy

Wear which ever you want.

not really, maybe 6-7 years ago but mitts are way cooler now Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've gone for Austrian army trigger mitts..mitts with a single finger you can use or not as required 😀
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Robin Agogo, Wrong finger
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can point at least Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Be wary with mitts they are too warm fine in Canada but in France etc make sure you have cooler ones.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mitts in winter - Gloves in spring simples
snow report
vinerower wrote:
But that's the problem - I don't KNOW what I want! ....Think I might get a pair of each.

That's the only way. Ultimately only you can find out what you do and don't like. Also, find out that different makes and designs fit you better or less well.
Personally, for boarding, skiing and other outdoor cold activities I hate mitts, can't get on with anything where I don't have all 5 fingers working as they should. I use silk under gloves inside my main gloves to assist with cold; if I can, I'll ski or board only in them for maximum finger freedom. But I also find everything too long for my short fingers: even glove tips are an annoyance and get caught everywhere, never mind mitts.
Except - when it gets really really cold and windy I use over-mitts over my gloves ( old goretex army ones, actually pretty good, thin but toasty). Gives me a good tight fit then.
ski holidays
You will struggle to bind up a board wearing mitts.
However mitts are easier to put on - especially compared to wet gloves & the fingers get pulled inside out!
I have Level Gloves & Level Mitts. I wear both - sometimes a combination!
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:

I have no trouble at all. Perhaps overly bulky or undersized mitts might present a problem?
latest report
Do you prefer gloves or mitts?
snow report
Black diamond mercury mitts are a revelation

Never used mitts before this week but now never going back to gloves

Can't recommend them enough
latest report
jjams82 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

I have no trouble at all. Perhaps overly bulky or undersized mitts might present a problem?

Yea wide hands & stubby fingers.
Match my wide stubby feet.
But step ons have put an end to my binding days
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, Ahh see, that explains it.
snow conditions
RMM wrote:
Black diamond mercury mitts are a revelation

Never used mitts before this week but now never going back to gloves

Can't recommend them enough

This!! Amazing Mitts!
ski holidays
vinerower wrote:

Personal preference, but as you're asking, mitts. It probably depends what you do and where, but...

Reasons:
  • Cheaper
  • Warmer
  • More flexible (you can easily have different or no liners)
  • quicker on-off (for photography
  • More waterproof (fewer seams to seal etc)
snow conditions
Gainz wrote:
Be wary with mitts they are too warm fine in Canada but in France etc make sure you have cooler ones.

This time last week in the Southern French alps it was -17C (without wind chill), pretty rare occurence, sure, but I was sitting on the chairlift yearning for some of these:

https://www.astis.com/collections/long-cuff
snow conditions
I know that mitts are supposed to be warmer but I have never noticed the difference myself. Lobster claws just look utterly weird.
Gloves for me. I’m not a faffer, but sometimes I like to look at a piste map or crack open a hip flask. Just about possible in gloves, impossible in mitts.

If you don’t get particularly cold hands then stick to gloves. If you do, then go for mitts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy