Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Christmas or Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
None of us can predict the weather accurately. Would like to go back to Serre Chevalier but Easter holidays for the kids are so late. Wish to avoid half term as our half term is the Paris week and I anticipate Serre Che will be heaving which isn’t great with a sitski. That leaves us with Easter or Christmas. What do you think is the best bet for a reasonable amount of skiing ⛷. This year either/or would have been fine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dan100, tricky one. We've been skiing Christmas and Easter with our children since 2009 at various French resorts. Days are shorter and tend to be a bit bleaker/colder at Christmas. Prior to this one there were three poor seasons that meant conditions weren't great for either. Mind you that disappointment is double/tripled if you ski off piste. On piste was still not great but less of an issue. With the advent of snow cannons, access to and from the lower stations isn't the issue it once was. And, in general, the situation can be managed. March/April, naturally the days are longer/warmer. So even if the skiing isn't so great you will feel better and be able to enjoy a drink/meal on the terrace during the day or apres ski. So in summary and on balance I would say Christmas for better snow or Easter for better ambience. And as you've ascertained on any one trip it could all be anything. Link to my TR's for Christmas/Easters past in case it helps. As you can see we solve the dilemma by going both!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. If Easter was early again it wouldn’t be an issue and I would make the choice now. Limiting it to Serre che due to sitskiing for my daughter. Not worrying about off piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dan100, this year our schools broke up 23rd March, next year it will be April 5th. In 2011 it was April 8th. So it does vary a fair amunt. That said I wouldn't assume the difference would be massive. If you'd been out there this week for example you would still have had plenty to ski.

Why are you restricted to Serre Che. I thought the number of resorts geared up for disabled skiers was much better now?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just have contacts the and easy access to the kit. Our kiss’ schools break up 15th April
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dan100,
I've skied a lot at Serre Chevalier over the Easter holidays and generally had good conditions but not always. However my breaks have usually been around last week of march up to the second week of April and conditions can deteriorate quite quickly.
If I was content to sit in the very pleasant sun, see the country side and hope that the conditions were good I would be happy to book. However if I was wanting to do a fair bit of skiing I would look to book for Christmas, hope that the natural conditions were good which they often are early in the season though not reliably so and trust if not that the conditions were cold enough for the fairly extensive snow making to be working.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmm one website says school hols will start 6th April and council website says 15th April much prefer the earlier date. Back to the dilemma.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been there this January, planned to return next year and talked to the ski rent shop's owner in Briancon. She said that usually in the beginning of april the extent is very limited and the conditions aren't good. Showed me on the ski map the area that was still doable in the last years and it was way too small for me.
So It all comes down to what you expect: length and hard ice or ambiance and sun.
This year it is amazing all over the Alps, north and south. But it is probably a singularity. 2 weeks ago i was in Tignes 2100, i could ski for 6 hours and if i didn't approach 1800 it was still good icy snow.
Next year Easter will be later in april. Plan to return to EK.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy