Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tubular Bells ... skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Just watching Old Grey Whistle Test revisited on BBC4. They had a clip of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells with skiing. Here is the clip in full.

Enjoy.

http://youtube.com/v/FG9vPRTWA_U
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sequoiaboard, can't remember it at all!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like skiing whilst having a bad trip to me!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really should have gone to see Albert Lee last year in Chelmsford
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sequoiaboard, Those skiing scenes are from the "fox and hounds" chase event in the 1931 film "Der Weisse Rausch" directed by Dr Arnold Fanck with the founder of the Arlberg ski school Hannes Schneider being chased by the rest of the skiers. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, I had you down to know that!.... I didn't. I only knew that I had seen the footage before on some Austrian related stuff.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@flangesax, For anyone interested you can watch the whole film on YouTube:
http://youtube.com/v/QSYrvA59F5M

The film opens with some scenes of a train arriving at the (original) train station in St Anton. Smile Apart from Hannes Schneider the film also includes the actress Leni Riefenstahl (before she became a notorious but innovative film director for the Nazi regime). Incidentally I believe Hannes Schneider did not get on well with his co-star, after Hitler's military takeover of Austria (the Anschluss) in 1938 Schneider fell foul of the Nazis and it was only because of international pressure that he was allowed to leave Austria in 1939 for the US where he set up a ski school in New Hampshire and spent the war years there.

The film plot is pretty clunky (as is the sound, mind you it was made in 1931), but the skiing scenes are fascinating! Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, for me the thing about Der Weisse Rausch is that fun on the snow isn't dependent on modern technology. Sure the skis of the day didn't offer the performance of modern ones; but there was an awful lot of fun to be had.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@achilles, +1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fascinating, @Alastair Pink. You are a fount of knowledge and wisdom. Mike Oldfield's "Ommadawn" is imprinted on my mind because for an entire year in Kenya my then 4 year old son wouldn't go to sleep without it. We had no TV or radio - just some tapes and a small cassette recorder.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink , not in the least bit surprised that you would know this. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, can't believe they had Gopros's all those years ago Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think they had better hats, back then.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll watch this in a moment ... But I went to see Mike Oldfield about 20 years ago at a concert in Furth, probably the best gig I've been to.

I'll go to my office so I dont disturb the rest listening to it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sequoiaboard Thanks for bringing this along.

That was fun back in those days ... no helmets, crap skis, no lift pass.
No goretex,
But deep snow Smile
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, Wow ... I havent got time to watch the whole film this afternoon, but I just rolled along the timeline and ended up at a point where a couple of apprentice carpenters turn up.

This is amazing ... the wandering apprentice carpenters still turn up in a similar uniform that they have worn for centuries. You have to hand it to the Germans, there is a right way to do things.
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
@Alastair Pink,
This is amazing ... the wandering apprentice carpenters still turn up in a similar uniform that they have worn for centuries. You have to hand it to the Germans, there is a right way to do things.

The two carpenters are there for a bit of comic relief, supposedly teaching themselves how to ski from a book! (but in reality they were excellent skiers, I think one of them was an Austrian champion). There's one bit where the taller of the two is doing 360 degree spins on his skis, if you look closely/ freeze frame it you'll see that the skis he's using at that point are twin tips!! Shocked So there's nothing new under the sun! Laughing
ski holidays
I dont know when I'll have time to watch the whole film.
But you never know.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy