Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cross country skiing - how to start

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

My wife is very keen to get into cross country skiing but we have been struggling to find ways to get started. We are going to La Tania at the end of March/early April but can’t find anyone to provide lessons and equally can’t find anyone to hire the right type of equipment from. This seems odd given the amount of availability of terrain in the area, particularly around Le Praz, created for the Winter Olympics.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.ski-school-la-tania.co.uk/private-lessons/nordic-ski

give them a call about where to hire the gear from
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.bergfex.com/la-tania/detailinfos/

this indicates there is cross country ski hire in La Tania also, so give them a bell to find out which shops

its a great sport and very addictive
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have tried ESF and have not had much luck. The La Tania school said they didn’t do it and suggested we contact some of the other Courchevel schools. Bit disappointing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://ski-hire-sport2000.co.uk/equipment/other-equipment-and-sports/cross-country-skis - sport2000 la tania hire the skis

https://www.oxygene.ski/la-tania-ski-school/ oxygene offer cross country lessons
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I tried in Jura one weekend a few years back, it was great and addictive

I decided I was going to have one or two days in all my subsequent family holidays
Unfortunately, all the trips in March and April have always meant there was no snow on the village x-country tracks where we have been since
Maybe just luck of the draw of where we were and when

Good luck, great fun
Take lessons !!! Going down the most tame of slopes is completely different to normal skis
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sev112, we are in the same boat, kids mean we are restricted to the hell of half term or our preference which is first week of Easter. Snow conditions last Easter were terrible and the tracks around Le Praz and La Tania were very brown / green but it’s possible this year may be better given the base and the fact that Easter is slightly earlier but we’ll have to wait and see.

I guess the other option is ski touring as you can at least start higher up but I think the skiing skill level needs to be higher for that and my wife is really only a blue run skier
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Look for resorts on a col, several have excellent cross country pistes eg Les Saisies, Les Mosses (where I currently am), high and pretty snow sure, easy adjacent pistes and are also relatively quiet even at half term.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Jura (just north of Geneva) has some great cross country skiing e.g. http://www.monts-jura.com/en/ski-winter/cross-country-skiing.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cross country skiing is everywhere here in Austria. I recently started. It's great fun, a good workout and nowhere near as easy as it looks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unfortunately we are already booked into La Tania this Easter, it’s a perfect location for kids learning to ski, low cost catered chalet options and skiing area for the adults. In theory it also has a great cross country skiing area.

Oxygene school unfortunately don’t do lessons for this in three valleys, only in some other resorts such as La Plagne, so looks like it’s just ESF if we can get them to sort themselves out!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you can find somewhere to rent get some classique gear and go and give it a try. Skiing in the tracks is basically intuitive but make sure you are on the flat to gain confidence. Going down the slightest gradient can be a alarming and worse if involves a bend. Try that to see if you like and and then get lessons for technique etc. Lessons are clearly then best idea but having a try out on your own is not the worst. We did it that way and three years ago moved on to skating. Skating is not intuitive so lessons are needed. This applies even if you are aware of the technique as long thin skis are a lot more difficult than roller skates or blades. Enjoy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy