Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go Pro Hero 5 vs Hero 6 Which is better all round for value?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning Snowheads! I have had my GoPro for 5 years now and would like to upgrade to a newer model. I have been reading the reviews and it looks as though the GoPro Hero 5 model has better reviews and the 6 was seen as unreliable? Puzzled Does anyone have any feedback regarding these and advice on which one I should purchase?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what you need it for, buy for features rather than the reviews...

The 6 sounds like a slight improvement over the 5, which is very solid. But 6 is latest, so likely to have most support and development, firmware, features etc and has more intelligence, especially for the auto edit in the app.

I wanted light and simple, for helmet and chest mounting so went with the Hero 5 session. Much cheaper, lighter, simpler with great image quality and lens is in the centre.
Very happy with the change from my 3+.
Only drawback for me is none interchangeable battery but I just carry a backup battery and top up when not filming.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a Garmin Virb Ultra 30.

On par with the GoPro Hero 6 Black, unless you are a broadcast TV/professional user and must have 4K60fps (and have the hardware to edit the monster file sizes).

Comparing with my mate's Hero 6 the Virb has much better usability with a simple on/off toggle switch that instantly starts and stops recording. Most importantly turns the Virb fully off between recording sessions so doesn't use any battery (I'm not sure why the 6 can't be used this way). The Virb also works better with iPhones (assume Android use is similar), previewing, uploading and saving etc are super quick and super easy to do.

Both have good stabilisation, both record G Metrics (although the use GPS kills my mate's battery), both have good back screens and both are very light.

The Garmin is available for around the £300 mark now.... close to the Hero 5, but £60-70 cheaper than the Hero 6.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hero4 black if you are a general user. (from someone with lots of all of them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I stuck with the 4 black, there's nothing in the specs to make me upgrade to those others. I like new toys, but they need to change more than the badge.

I use protune, but these days the file sizes are modest and my few years old pc laptop works fine with them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with the above about new tech. In reality, you won't use more than 1080 at 60fps and will likely use 30fps with some sort of image stabilisation.

Anything uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo, etc is heavily compressed so will lose a fair bit of resolution anyway.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy