Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc’teryx Gamma MX -esque ski gear?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I’ve been looking for new downhill ski gear for relatively mild 0 to -10C weather. Arc’teryx Gamma MX hoody seems to match most of my needs and it felt good when I tried it on, but the colors in the model seem really, really boring to me aesthetically. Not that I need necessary extremely bright gear but the newer models dont even have any tweaks that older models had.

The store that I went to didn’t really have too many recommendations. Are there some alternatives from other brands that might have a little more going on with their jackets with more or less the same features? Puzzled I’m not too worried about the pricing.

Thanks in advance, I really hate this shopping thing hah.

EDIT: To clarify, I’m looking for men’s jackets.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowy_Kenobi, presuming you aren't in Europe?

I think any of the big names will do similar things?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am located in Europe. Big brands as in… Black diamond, Pentagon? What are the most spoken for brands?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowy_Kenobi, Have a look at Stellar. Online only. I have their hard shell jacket. It's great.

owise Norrona, Mammut, f'rinstance
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Narrøna?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowy_Kenobi, I would say though... I have had the original Gamma since 2002 and while I love it (literally, almost to bits, it has lasted amazingly but is showing its age) - and I've used it for all sorts of things, including a lot of spring skiing, I wouldn't find it adequate as a ski jacket other than in spring skiing. Not robust enough vs weather, not well featured enough, e.g. pockets, proper helmet hood, etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Choose a jacket with the features and colour schemes you like best for 0 to -10 all brands should be fine. If you feel cold, put another layer on.

I would recommend a powder skirt, pit vents and a lift pass pocket on your sleeve as a minimum. Other than that, just go for the one which suits you idiom.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Klamm Franzer, none of which you find on the gamma …
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crikey! Get down to Sports Direct ASAP!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
” none of which you find on the gamma …” its kinda funny that some of the older models do have a pocket in the sleeve but its gone now. Gotta save those grams I suppose but cmon!

I’m sure some other models would give me more than a satisfying jcket but its very annoying to find a jacket that seems to have it all (well more or less) but then a colour scheme puts you off.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check out the RAB softshells . . .I ski in these in all but the foulest weather and find they work much better and in a much broader variety of temps than hardshells. . .mega breathable, if it gets nippy I just don a synthetic hoodie / gilet over the top. No need for uncomfortable pit zips / irritating powder skirts . . .superfluous for the majority of skiing IMO.

My fav jkt is Baltoro Alpine (has a grid backer) and Exodus pants but both are discontinued - current variant is Rab Salvo / Rab Torque jackets . . . current Khroma Ascendor pants also look the business!
https://rab.equipment/uk/mens/softshell?filter_fabric_technology=Matrix%E2%84%A2

Alternatively if you want something a little more heavyweight check out the Mountain Equipment range - Frontier or Vulcan might suit you . . .Goretex Infinium softshell . . .
https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/collections/mens-soft-shell

Have considered Arc Gamma in the past - what's put me off is no velcro tabs on the wrists and a lack of pass pocket on the new model . . .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Snowy_Kenobi, I would say though... I have had the original Gamma since 2002 and while I love it (literally, almost to bits, it has lasted amazingly but is showing its age) - and I've used it for all sorts of things, including a lot of spring skiing, I wouldn't find it adequate as a ski jacket other than in spring skiing. Not robust enough vs weather, not well featured enough, e.g. pockets, proper helmet hood, etc.

Me too and I agree.

It's good for really dry conditions but it's often quite mild and damp in the Alps and I find my Gamma gets wetted out
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster Thanks for the input. Isn’t gamma supposed to have some basic water resisrance though, what you’re saying is that its not enough? I’m not really into Goretex hardshells so I was hoping to find something that can handle basic moisture and snow without feeling like a plastic bag over yoyr head Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It does but not enough of you are skiing when it is snowing wet snow
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
. . .I think for jackets especially and in the majority of inbounds / side country situations softshell is more than adequate . . .most have a decent DWR and this can be re-treated, it also dries quickly. Softshell pants are more of an issue in wet snow and if you are on your backside a lot . . .still doable in my experience however.

For non-crinkly, breathable hardshells Polartec Neo Shell is a good compromise (if you can find it anywhere) - also look at Goretex in the lighter weights with a C Knit backer - I have the last gen Arcteryx Zeta AR for damp / horrible weather skiing and its very comfortable and non 'crisp packet' feeling - breathes well and you can wear with a T-Shirt and not feel clammy . . .its sold as a hiking jacket but works equally well for skiing (if your not fussed about powder skirts etc) and also good for a broad variety of temps . . .

https://outlet.arcteryx.com/de/en/shop/mens/zeta-ar-jacket
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy