Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to become a Ski Instructor? Advice needed please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@flangesax, I'm pretty sure that if the average UK instructor rocks up in Salzburgerland with some clients, that's eventually going to involve the local police. That said, I recall that not all parts of Austria have the same regulations.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Several people have suggested doing Snowsport England qual to see if he likes teaching. Whilst it is a cheaper, shorter course, if you do want to take it further, you can't really do it with SSE, and an SSE level one doesn't convert into anything on BASI's system, so you still have to do BASI one or equivalent, as my son found out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If I had known then what I know now, I would have put my time and money into the ski-patrol path, rather than ski instructing. Best job on the hill by far, and a lot less politics.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@shep, but if your passion is teaching you’ll not fulfill that with ski patrol! If your passion is being out in the mountains I’d understand!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting couple of points there. My daughter qualified as a sailing instructor alongside a number of lads who were far more skilled dinghy sailors than she was. However, she has a passion for teaching - nothing satisfied her more than taking out a nervous child and bringing them back thrilled with having been out on a trapeze. Or leaving a middle-aged beginner buzzing after their first sail. She is a born teacher. Why else would she have given up weekends to teach sailing - for no pay at all? She also had some holiday jobs teaching sailing - all at minimum wage! I know some people who work full time at sailing. It's tough, it doesn't make much money and it plays havoc with relationships. Steve Angus married a ski instructor - a good move!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, Yes that's true, but some people fall into the instructor route without being aware of other ways to work on skis. I wish I'd known more about the alternatives before investing in something which ultimately did not work for me. Just giving the OP food for thought snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

investing in something which ultimately did not work for me

Chatting up attractive ladies in apres-ski bars and offering to "take them to your secret place" doesn't sound like "investment" to me... (and seems to have worked out pretty well in the end wink )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarymamma, my thoughts, I became an instructor because I wanted to give the enjoyment that I have from the mountains onto the people I teach, get them as enthusiastic as I am about skiing.

I do it part time, so not my main source of income. Getting to where you can make a living may take time, or you have to accept you won't make a lot of money if you are only working for 4 or 5 months a year (could be longer if they travel to the southern hemisphere too - but that could potentially take a chunk of earnings just from travel).

If you look at the gap course as a season in the mountains rather than purely to enter the world of instructing then it becomes a different beast, he might not enjoy the instructing in the long run, but to spend the time skiing, developing skills, and the other things he'll learn then for the cost it's not as bad as it seems. If at the end of it it's not for him, then I'm sure he'll have had a great time.

There are cheaper gap courses, some different lengths, e.g. https://skinspired.co.uk/become-ski-instructor/ - 5.5k for 9 weeks, that's 610/week for accommodation, food, 30 hr's of training a week, a season pass, language lessons - that's a lot of stuff for the amount of money.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scary Mamma seems to have been scared off.... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy