Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 layer jacket delaminating?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got to decide which jacket to take with me for the upcoming trip. I have an older Eider jacket (over 10 years old, fits in the other thread) that is 3l Defender (proprietary membrane), it is strechy and nice, but it has deloped some "bubbles" all over it which I suppose is the layers delaminating (haven't tried ironing it yet). It is also not a ski jacket so lacks the sleeve pocket.
Who has experience with using jackets after delamination? Is it likely to affect the performance? Especially the "breathability" part?
I also have a Salewa jacket, 2 layers, also their proprietary membrane. This one is a ski jacket (received it as a present 4 years ago) and has more pockets etc but isn't very good at the "breathbility" part.
I am considering going back to the old jacket, but a bit wary that I'm going to end up wet (either from sweating or from precipitation getting in or both)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my experience the problem with delamination is that the waterproof membrane depends on being laminated to something tough for its own integrity. Once delaminated it’s incredibly flimsy and liable to damage. This will help the breathability but destroy the waterproofing.

I’d go with the newer jacket, but then I also think breathability is one of the all time great scams pulled by fabric and garment manufacturers... particularly in a sport like skiing, opening your zip a bit will be orders of magnitude more effective than any miracle fabric.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowdave, uhhh, no.

Try skiing for a day in a completely waterproof jacket...

miserable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It wants to rest in peace, let it go!!!!!

take the newer jacket
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, I’ve run ultramarathons in completely waterproof non breathable jackets, my go to backpacking jacket (which has done a few hundred miles) isn’t breathable, and once a breathable jacket has wetted out (like every jacket I saw on the hill today) it’s not breathable either. It’s a marketing scam. I’d have been much more comfortable today in my £10 PU decathlon jacket which never wets out vs my “breathable” ski jacket.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowdave, really? I am amazed.

Do you not sweat?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, but a “breathable”jacket has no effect on that. I can discern no difference in how damp i am if I use a breathable or non breathable waterproof jacket, sweat is produced as a liquid either way. What makes the difference is managing my temperature as well as possible, and ventilating whatever I wear. I skied for 20 years in buffalo type clothing which was great, but sacrificed waterproofing for ventilation and genuine breathability.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowdave, I must be crap at managing my temperature. Mind you, skiing mixes higher intensity as you ski with no intensity on chairlifts...which makes it trickier.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, I’m also slightly curious that you can get a super light running jacket that isn’t breathable. What is it?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@snowdave, I’m also slightly curious that you can get a super light running jacket that isn’t breathable. What is it?
bin liner?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sack the Juggler, I was wondering Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy