Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Aid Course

Poster: A snowHead
Daily walks on coatal paths, mountain biking, trail running and, of course, skiing. It suddenly dawned on me and my wife that we must be pretty dumb doing all this and neither of us know a thing about first aid!

Time to learn. Can anyone suggest where to go for a comprehensive course aimed at these sort of outdoor activities?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-courses.aspx , perhaps?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or your local red cross can probably help.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm looking for something more outdoor specific. Glenmore Lodge do something that looks good but it's a fair distance to travel. It might be the only option though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Search on Google for outdoor first aid. Loads of providers around, i did one with my wife in the Peak District and was well worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try BASP. The nearest ones look to be at Gloucester.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 17-02-18 11:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is now a regulated (ie with OFQUAL) Level 3 Outdoor First aid course around. This (in the jargon) encompasses the learning outcomes of the Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW). There is also the long-standing (but non-regulated) REC (Rescue Emergency Care) which is widely used by outdoor instructors who require a 16-hour course to validate their qualifications. BASP of course run excellent courses as well.

I take SJA First Aid at Work (which I require to validate my First qual) from time-to-time, I find it a blast because all the attendee assume I see more first aid scenarios than they do but they actually are forever running each over with a forklift, spilling acid or having heart attacks after 30 fags & a fry-up every day.

Skills like CPR need refreshing on a yearly basis really.

You'd be better off with an outdoor course really though. You can get an idea of what's covered on my site: https://www.swissmountainleader.com/first-aid-training/outdoor-first-aid/

Well done for being proactive, it's a great thing. Tell me where you are based and I'll recommend someone.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ise, you're a star and good old Snowheads comes up trumps again. We live on the Gower Peninsula (South Wales).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No contest, Alan Ward. One of best trainers in the business.

http://www.bigfootservices.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or Katherine Wills in Llanberis, heart of Snowdonia.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
V good idea to do a course. However, in my experience it’s all too easy to forget 90% of it within a few days. I think there are probably quite a few good apps to help you remember the key stuff when the moment strikes. Not a substitute for a course, just a reinforcer.

Since a course I did, I now carry two aspirin in my wallet wherever I go. Not for headaches, but heart attacks!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
However, in my experience it’s all too easy to forget 90% of it within a few days.

Instructors have to repeat the course every three years, you remember more of it each time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's the minimum requirement. Industry guidelines are that a refresher is required every year. If someone is in a position where they might need to use first aid and they're aware of a skill fade that may fall short of what's expected of them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Foxtrotzulu.
Hate to be negative about the aspirin but be very careful if you have that to someone else. Giving medicine has always been a massive no no on every course i have been on.
Only exception being helping someone take an inhaler, or using an epipen on someone
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think you've misunderstood. 300mg of chewable aspirin can be given to someone suffering a heart attack.

You're confusing that with section 214 of the medicines act which prevents a lay person administering prescription medicines.

In the case of aspirin, heart attack victims will be conscious and consenting. It's also not a prescription medicine.
snow conditions
I did a first aid course for work with St John Ambulance. It was greta and a learnt a lot, but as said I'd really need a yearly refresher course as I can't remember half of it now (I do remember the CPR bit though).
snow report
I'll also add that administering an epipen is covered by Schedule 19 of the Medicines Regulations 2012 which allows administering lifesaving medicines. That really applies to prescription medicines but there's ample support for giving aspirin.

I'm pretty sure no one delivering a first aid course would say you can't give aspirin to someone having a heart attack.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
I did a first aid course for work with St John Ambulance. It was greta and a learnt a lot, but as said I'd really need a yearly refresher course as I can't remember half of it now (I do remember the CPR bit though).

Is the refresh not free from SJA?
latest report
I stand corrected. assist the patient to chew 300mg of aspirin
snow report
I can reccomend_

For outdoor first aid with a bit of a snow-sports focus https://www.worldclasstraining.co.uk/

For a hiking, mountaineering focus https://www.will4adventure.com/
snow conditions
There may well be better apps, but I have the British Red Cross app on my phone. It’s not bad, but seems a bit scant in some areas. Any other suggestions?
latest report
ise wrote:

Is the refresh not free from SJA?

Don't know, it was through work!
latest report
They'll send a voucher I think for a half day refresh of CPR as recommended by the resuscitation council and any update on guidelines. There's some work around outdoor first aid refreshes as well so they may become a thing over time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy