Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question for the X-country types

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As it seems as if the only thing that's ever on when I turn on the box is either X-country or Biathlon I've been watching a fair bit of it and found it really absorbing - just as long as I don't have to do it myself; they look far too exhausted at the end of the races. In particular I thought the biathlon great; the fact that substantial changes in the lead were so dependent on a few mm difference in positioning of a couple of shots it made it really exciting.

So I can see some of the differences now between classic and skating (which I guess is the same as "freestyle") styles. But this then poses a few (really simple) questions:

1) is there a difference in the equipment rules used in the two styles? Do I remember someone saying something about complicated waxing regimes, and/or fishscales on the running bases?
2) do the styles actually have different performance/technique rules, or is the difference in style purely down to equipment? (Or conversely are any equipment differences predicated by the performance/technique rules differences)
3) is skating inherently faster than classic?
4) if the rules are different, does the biathlon actually have the same rules as the "freestyle" skiing style, or is the skating style chosen just because it's faster?
5) I noticed that in the biathlon pursuit they did cut some tracks, as for classic, and some skiers used them while others got out of them pretty much as soon as possible. So do tracks ever get cut in freestyle races? I also noticed that there only seemed to be tracks cut for some parts of the classic races I saw - what stipulates when there's a track cut and when there's not?
6) If skating is faster, and requires less course preparation, than classic that seems to be holding all the major cards. What advantages, if any, does classic hold?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Graham, since no expert has answered I'll give you my understanding - and perhaps that will attact an expert to agree or disagree.

1) the skating/freestyle skis have no fishscales on the bases. The grip going uphill is by way of edging and forward momentum in the glide, much as you would do on downhill skis if you were ascending a slope. Classic skis that I have hired have fishscales in the middle of the base. However I'm not sure if the ones the professionals use obtain their grip purely by using "stick wax" in the middle portion, which grips when the pressure is applied hard on the skis, and glide wax at the ends of the skis, or whether, in addition, they also have scales. Also, I do not know what the rules say about the construction of the skis.

2) As far as I know the classic skiers are not allowed to skate. They must step around any corners and herringbone up any hills that are too steep to ascend with skis parallel. Again, I don't know what the rules say. However I did notice that in the pursuit races where the skiers had a pitstop to change from classic to skating skis they did skate for the last 100 metres or so of the classic stage, presumably to allow the legs to start to adjust to the different motion involved in skating. I heard one commentator likening classic to running and skating to cycling, in terms of the major muscle groups used.

3) Skating is inherently faster than skiing. It started when one enterprising skier, who had been as iceskater, developed flat skis and used the skating technique to win (in the Olympics? - can anyone remember), so the rules had to be changed to cater for both techniques. Prior to that everyone used the classic technique.

4) Not sure whether the rules in Biathlon only allow for skating, but I would presume that everyone uses it because it is faster.

5) Tracks are usually cut for all downhill portions in skating races, as some racers prefer them - more stability. However in some conditions it can be faster out of the tracks. In classic races, generally there will not be tracks cut around the turns, or in tight spaces.

6) Tradition, I think. Also, because of the tracks it is a bit easier to do classic as a beginner. In many resorts you can't hire skating boots and skis. That is the other difference in equipment. The skating boots come higher up the calf, and are stiffer, than the classic boots, although in the pursuit races they use a hybrid, so that they don't need to change boots at the half way point.

I suppose I could have looked up the rules on a website, but let someone else do that - I have only limited time in my lunch hour.

Have you tried either method?

Hilary
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN,

That's a lot of questions, and I don't have time to answer them all.

I will just point up a couple of things, to add to Hilary's helpful comments.

1) Skating and Classic skis are a little different in construction, but an Alpine skier probably wouldn't notice. The former are only glide waxed, the latter have some grip wax too, in the pocket left by the ski camber. Racers hardly ever use fish-scales, they are slow. Sometimes they sand the middles of their skis a bit for grip. I don't know the up-to-date construction rules, but it used to be that skis had to be at least head height and at least 44mm wide at the widest point and weigh at least 1kg per pair.

2), 3) and 6) In the right conditions skating is faster than classic, but it needs a firm base. It is also harder for beginners. FIS decided they wanted to keep skiers doing classic, so they have technique rules in classic races, and not in the free technique races (where everyone at elite level skates; it's a bit like swimming where everyone does frontcrawl in a freestyle race). You can skate in classic races, but only where there are no cut tracks, or when changing track. Tracks are not cut on sharp corners or the changeover area of the pursuit.

4) Biathletes don't have classic races, and they skate because it is faster.

5) AFAIK tracks are always cut except where I described above. Skating skiers always have the option of using the tracks, which are sometimes faster and allow more of a rest on downhills. In citizens races, quite a lot of the back of the field will be doing classic anyway, even in a freestyle race.

For more info, try wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_country_skiing

Come and have a go - its good fun when you get off the flat, and no lift queues.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

1) the skating/freestyle skis have no fishscales on the bases. The grip going uphill is by way of edging and forward momentum in the glide, much as you would do on downhill skis if you were ascending a slope. Classic skis that I have hired have fishscales in the middle of the base. However I'm not sure if the ones the professionals use obtain their grip purely by using "stick wax" in the middle portion, which grips when the pressure is applied hard on the skis, and glide wax at the ends of the skis, or whether, in addition, they also have scales. Also, I do not know what the rules say about the construction of the skis.

Classic race skis have no fishscales - fishscales make skis glide more slowly. Classic skis are longer (than skate skis) and cut diferently and their fex properties are different. For classic grip is provided by waxing with grip wax under the foot. The type of grip wax or klister (yul yuk yuk - anyone who has used klister knows why I say that) is varied dependent on the temperature and type of snow and there is a real art to getting the correct wax - another reason why british skiers are at a disadvantage no team of waxing technicians.
Quote:

Have you tried either method?

Yep - prefer skate, it may be faster but its a lot harder work particularly up hill so for recreational sking classic is a lot easier. If we get a bit more snow may be racing on Sunday in the Clash (forest near Huntly Scotland) in the classic style. Thats if I've thrown off the cold I've got at the moment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone for good info. Now while you're all here, can I lob in one more - just the one this time!

So how does this kick/grip wax work during the glide then? If you're free running downhill surely you're standing on your feet and the wax is stopping the skis running? Or is it something like some extra camber on the ski than keeps it off the ground if you're standing on both feet, but makes more contact if you put all your weight on one foot only? Sounds a good recipe for nose-planting if you'e got a bit of speed up on a bit of downhill then get out of balance Very Happy.

[Edit] - reading that wiki entry more closely it looks like I got that right. Still interested how you avoid noseplants though![/Edit]

hilary t, nordicfan, no I've never tried either. If I lived in Scotland (or anywhere where there was snow but no mountains) I probably would have a go, but at present I'm a recent convert to alpine touring - but it's still the downhill bit that's the real thrill, just in way better scenery when you get away from the pistes and you feel so much smugger for having earned it. When my Aunt and Uncle were stationed in Oslo for a while they got into X-country quite a bit and thought it quite fun (they were never too keen on the speed involved in Alpine).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Graham

You have the mechanics almost correct. If you are standing on both skis then the center section is above the snow. If you transfer you weigh on to 1 ski it should just about touch the snow but usually need an extra "Kick" to produce the grip contact. This extra "kick" is part of the diagonal stride (running) process. There is also an extra element which comes in to play - Most grip wax (the wax uses in the center section under foot) will glide over snow easily while in motion. At the moment of the "kick" action the grip wax is pushed down into the snow in static contact enabling you to push off.

It is this principle which allows touring / mountain skis (which do not have the hard double camber of racing skis)to work.

I hope I have explained this OK?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

(they were never too keen on the speed involved in Alpine).

You can get up to quite a speed doing nordic aswell especially on some of the steeper downhill sections. And this is on skis that don't turn at all well - you usually step them around corners - and if its icy have no edges so its not easy to stop easily either. This can be interesting. If your ever in Sjusjoen in Norway a nice ski is to head to Lillehammer and then get the bus back. Its almost all downhill and you get into Lillehammer passing close to the ski jumps and then through/past the olympic stadium. But some of the downhills end when they cross roads (not busy but!) which make it interesting especially if you don't know whats up ahead.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN,

If your ever up in Aberdeenshire even in summer come along to Huntly Nordic Outdoor Center (in Huntly) where you can have a go at classic on the mats or try roller skiing in skate style on the roller ski track. More info here http://www.huntly.net/hnoc/index.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy