Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendation BY a nervous intermediate please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No disrespect to all you competent skiers, but resort recommendations from somebody like me who quakes at the top of a slope and who likes to stand up and just cruise along (though not paddle on flat bits) would be great please.

Other items on my wishlist are:

Half term, so not too bad on queue front (I guess that rules France out!!)
Things to do for non-skiers
Good ski school for me to gain confidence
Not hugely expensive

We have been to Ellmau, Obertauern, Trysil and Ruka so far so would like somewhere different.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Solden. Amazingly good and wide blue and red pistes on the side of the Gigijoch cable car.
Serre Chevalier. Got there planning to ski only blues, on the 3rd day I chose black pistes from my free will. Wide and well groomed.
Check their maps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Arcs - massive cruise blues in the bowl, and then over the ridge into Vallandry some lovely shallow routes through the trees. Also, if you become more confident there are some tame reds too.
It's half term here and the queues aren't too bad (so far).
Not sure what your non-skiers like to do (perhaps elaborate - indoor? Outdoor?) but there are winter walking routes around.
Don't know about the ski schools - AIM/New Generation have been recommended on other threads.
The chalets/lodges at the Huttopia campsite in BSM are very reasonable but Apres ski is non existent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry to disagree with Drporsat but I don't think you'd like Soelden from a skiing point of view.
The glacier is lovely but to get there and back you have to ski down some tricky sections. Lift queued at the pinch points too. The Giggijoch runs are wide but can be icy, have a couple of steep sections and are a bit of a straight line runway for idiots.
But... You can stay in Soelden and get the free bus to Hochgurgl and Obergurgl which world probably be more the type of skiing you are after.
I disliked soelden so much 2 years ago that last year I used the bus to the Gurgls and never skied at Soelden once in 3 weeks.
Walking around that area is good. There's a fab restaurant up in the hills on the other side of the ski area - walk to it, have lunch and then either walk back or take a free toboggan back down.
Big spa and pool complex at Langenfeld half an hour down the valley in the main bus route.
Take the bus to Hochgurgl (skiers jump off) and walk to Obergurgl to meet skiers for lunch then both get bus back to Soelden.
Ski schools and instructors in Obergurgl are great, in my experience.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Totally agree with Scamper re: Les Arcs, been last year to 2000 and it was amazing. Could be perfect for your wishlist. And if you stay at Les Arcs 1800 you have the Mille8 aquatic complex (non skiers etc).
Last december i booked Obergurgl through Crystal, had bad visibility and extremely limited pistes there (harder in Hochgurl). Niederhutte restaurant was the only good thing there at 16:00. No apres ski and nothing to do besides the textile free sauna NehNeh
So we ran away every day to Soelden because it was more accessible, had more choices and seemed even easier. Steep segments are everywhere, even in Bansko. And to me, icy seems simply a matter of weather and altitude, everywhere you go.
Skiing towards the glacier from Gigijohbahn is easy and involves some lifts. From the glacier you have 2 routes back: to the north which is not that easy in its first segment but was totally doable at my early intermediate level, and through the short and simple ski tunnel to the south, which is an easier blue. And then they continue on confidence building blue pistes. Obergurgl doesn't even have a pharmacy, mind you. And the Langenfeld aqua dome is much closer to Solden.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 15-02-18 19:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Trysil would have been my pick, I loved those pistes as a rather nervous skier! We're hoping to head to San cassiano in March after seeing loads of folk on here talk about the gentle blues in Alta badia. The piste map and videos look nice and chilled. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
give Zauchensee a look. never really crowded, excellent ski school (Top-alpin), good hotels, easy reach from Salzburg. Ski are offers a variety of routes off of the mountains, not a tour operator resort so doesn't get slammed over half term. the only downside is you will need a good supply of reading material if you are not skiing...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cervina would be my suggestion - not been there, but friends have.

Lots of long, gentle, sunny, high (good snow) runs.

Know nothing about the ski school, though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think you might have misunderstood - stay in Soelden but ski in the Gurgls via the free bus.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
drporat wrote:
Obergurgl doesn't even have a pharmacy, mind you..

That made me laugh, in a good way Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Cervina would be my suggestion - not been there, but friends have.

Lots of long, gentle, sunny, high (good snow) runs.

Know nothing about the ski school, though.

Even thought I'm not the nervous type, I enjoyed Cervina too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bob wrote:
give Zauchensee a look. never really crowded, excellent ski school (Top-alpin), good hotels, easy reach from Salzburg. Ski are offers a variety of routes off of the mountains, not a tour operator resort so doesn't get slammed over half term. the only downside is you will need a good supply of reading material if you are not skiing...

That’s quite a good recommendation, IMHO.

An alternative could be to stay in Altenmarkt, the main and nearest town, where there are other things to do, then take the ski bus up to Zauch. It’s only about 10 mins, from memory.

The other option could be Radstadt. Very pleasant town and relatively small skiing area that you still get a good sense of travel from. Wide and benign pistes that are rarely overly busy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you so much everybody for your suggestions; really appreciated. Fair bit of googling to do (I’m just managing on limited phone WiFi at the moment so sorry for brief response). Ironically we were going to get the bus over to Radstadt today from obertauern as weather not brill for skiing but got caught up with packing etc. having final hot chocolate now.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 16-02-18 17:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les 2 Alpes will be good! You can ski blue runs all the way down from the top of the mountain at 3600m! A few proper cruisey greens as well. Also lots of decent reds to get stuck into if you begin to want to push yourself.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy