Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with glasses - resolved

Poster: A snowHead
We are having very wet conditions today.

My daughter finds that when she skis with goggles her glasses inside mist up very quickly. She is wondering whether to try the visor type of helmet. Has anybody tried that? Does it solve the problem? Can anyone suggest any other solutions? I should have said she gets the misting whatever the weather.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 16-02-18 18:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have stopped skiing with glasses as I found the ice kept jumping out when I turned sharply
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ended up having custom wrap-round sunglasses made.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are specific goggles for glasses I believe, certainly my dad used to have a pair.

Have a bit more room and hence air flow.

Personally I've either used prescription shades or contacts
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On a more serious note, my wife and I both wear visor helmets now, and although we don't wear glasses any more, there is ample space for them, and there is more of an airflow underneath them than goggles.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@planeurge, Schuss-in-Boots uses a visor - but she seems rarely to post here these days. I think Alastair Pink does, too. You might ask him for an opinion.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
@planeurge, Schuss-in-Boots uses a visor - but she seems rarely to post here these days. I think Alastair Pink does, too. You might ask him for an opinion.
Alastair is your best bet, Schuss doesn't wear specs under hers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris wrote:
There are specific goggles for glasses I believe, certainly my dad used to have a pair.

Have a bit more room and hence air flow.

Personally I've either used prescription shades or contacts
I still have a pair of Oakley OTG goggles, can't remember what model they are as they are about 10 years old, but they are for low light conditions so I wear them now and then whent he weather is bad, and they used to take my old glasses underneath easily.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use to ski in some Uvex OTG (Over the glasses) goggles and previously some Smith ones. They are made to allow room for the arms of your glasses and so fit better. Your glasses will still mist up. The best idea is to ski in cold weather and with a bit of practice/stupidity tip your head into the wind to get a blast of cold air through the goggles and clear the mist. In wet weather I most often skied without goggles and a surface tension smear of rain on the glasses was better then being misted up Very Happy I now wear an Alpina visor helmet and glasses. Field of view is now great. Glasses mist up a lot less often but not never. In wet/warm weather once your glasses get wet they'll mist up and it's best to ski with the visor up until you can dry them out. Overall I think the visor option is better, less but still some misting. The increased field of view is the best improvement though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get contact lenses.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@planeurge, in Val in December I was having the same problem. I bought some new goggles as I was getting fog between the layers of my goggle lenses, as they were just cheapies. The guy in the shop gave me a small spray for my glasses (not to use in my new goggles as they already had a coating) and it worked a treat. Simply spray on, rub in a bit and wipe a little and let dry. The spray is called "No Fog", and the shop was Intersport. Hope you can get some, it worked a treat.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swiftoid, that's not always an option.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thecramps, there is also an anti fog lens cleaner called Cat Crap, worked well but I had to keep applying it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HutToHut, that’s true but if it is in this case it’s worth thinking about. So much less hassle than glasses when skiing IME.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dunno about specs but if my goggles are steaming up I just* spit in them, same as for diving. Works fine.

*and wipe the spit about a bit. Doesn't work with greenies.
snow report
@swiftoid, and some people swear by laser eye surgery correction as well. I appreciate your suggestion was made in the best way, but the thread is titled Skiing with glasses. It's a bit like asking for a cake recommendation and someone saying sourdough bread is good Very Happy
snow report
@HutToHut, I went through the problems of ‘skiing with glasses’ myself. The OP asked for any other suggestions to dealing with these problems. Not skiing with glasses may or may not be a suitable answer depending on the individual’s circumstances but there’s nothing in the OP that gives a clue either way. It was the answer to my problems. Maybe it could be for the OP’s child too.
latest report
Why is this in Apres?
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
achilles wrote:
Alastair is your best bet, Schuss doesn't wear specs under hers.

Yes, for many years I used to use OTG goggles over my spectacles, and although they were OK most of the time my specs would on occasion fog up. A couple of years ago I switched to a Bolle visor type helmet (after first seeing NeddySkiGoon using one on a Birthday Bash, thanks Neddy) and with the greater space around the spectacles and the increased ventilation I found it solved the problem for me. Smile
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Why is this in Apres?

Cos you're usually having a few glasses Apres
snow report
@Boris, Boom boom!
snow report
@swiftoid, ah... yes. I read the OP as away skiing now.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Why is this in Apres?

Maybe you should start stocking the "NO Fog" I refered to. It is excellent, and following the directions only needed applying once in the morning. A cheap little item people are likely to add to an order, or pick up off the counter.

Bit surprised you are bothered where someone might be asking for product advice given many here are potential customers no matter what forum they are in.
ski holidays
@planeurge, Another thing worth trying if you can't get anything else is making up a very strong solution of fairy liquid, and wiping it with a tissue over each side of the glasses lenses and leaving it to dry on them. The solution needs to be thick enough to leave a layer, but thin enough not to leave smear marks. Works quite well on wet days on the motorbike, mind you, I'm a NO Fog convert now. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I had this problem all the time when wet, just wore glasses in dry condition, I just got one of those wedez visor helmets and it proved itself today but it is not a cure for flat light
snow report
I've found the usual cause of fogging glasses is overheating. Does she wear a buff that channels all her core heat up like a chimney to her goggles? Avoiding a buff or wearing a lightweight one can help.

Also, Julbo make a pair of goggles where the lens can be moved 1-2mm away from the frame, creating airflow. I have a friend who recommends them:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/black-red-julbo-airflux-18-id_8399616.html
ski holidays
The "child" is 44 but not on Snowheads. She has given up contacts because she can no longer tolerate them. We were told the sprays were not to be used on coated lenses. The over the specs goggles don't seem to work for her. They still mist up.

I believe Achilles is a moderator. I'm happy for this thread to be moved somewhere else.

Thanks for the replies - particularly h2h and alistair.
ski holidays
I have a pair of Smith Knowledge Turbo Fan OTG Goggles, they have a small electric fan that sucks air in and prevents misting. I wouldn't want to be without them on a humid day. They don't look weird and most people wouldn't even realize they were powered (small battery pack on strap) unless told/shown. lots of choice of lenses too.

https://www.evo.com/goggles/smith-knowledge-turbo-fan-otg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

but it is not a cure for flat light

Try an Americano or a Latte
snow conditions
I've not tried a visor helmet yet but am also limited to using glasses for skiing and the option that works for me are goggles with prescription inserts, Adidas id2 in my case.

The insert sits further away from your face than a pair of glasses which seems to result in less fogging that I found with OTG goggles. I can still get some fogging if I'm working hard (e.g. polling a long, flat section) or stood too long waiting for someone when hot but with an anti-fog wipe on them and keeping them clean it clears in seconds of setting off when the air starts flowing again.

The main draw-back for me is the need to carry both normal and prescription sub glasses for when you stop, though it will depend how bad your non-glasses eyesight is.
ski holidays
@king key, That looks fascinating, and I was rooting for it. But Daughter decided on the visor helmet (encouraged in part by a couple of replies here.) We have been in Verbier, and the last couple of days have been pretty humid, with rain in the village. She wore it this afternoon, and reports that, although occasionally her glasses still steam up (when she get warm and stops for a rest), it is much better than all the other things she has tried. I've edited the title of the thread. Thanks for the contributions.
ski holidays
@planeurge, excellent.
latest report
+1 for the fans in the googles have the smith ones and they work fine.
ski holidays
planeurge wrote:
@king key, That looks fascinating, and I was rooting for it. But Daughter decided on the visor helmet (encouraged in part by a couple of replies here.) We have been in Verbier, and the last couple of days have been pretty humid, with rain in the village. She wore it this afternoon, and reports that, although occasionally her glasses still steam up (when she get warm and stops for a rest), it is much better than all the other things she has tried. I've edited the title of the thread. Thanks for the contributions.
cool, which helmet did she choose?
snow report
Although resolved thought I’d mention that the UCPA guide I had the other week had prescription goggles inserts. Not sure if it was this exact make, but looked like these
http://youtube.com/v/fK0088UzWV0.

I had lazer eye surgery 5 years ago. I didn’t have a strong prescription before, but enough to need glasses or contacts half the time otherwise I’d get a headache. Very good decision for me.
latest report
When I was in the cops I would rub a little washing up liquid on the inside the visor on my public order helmet to stop fogging - worked pretty well.
ski holidays
I have inserts like those above in both my glasses and my goggles and whilst not perfect they work pretty well. They are distance only though and I use varifocals normally so the downside is that I have to carry my specs in my pocket
snow report
I have been using a Wedze Stream 550 helmet with visor with my prescription glasses for a couple of seasons now.
Initially I found the glasses still steamed up when it was wet and I got hot, as there is a foam seal along the bottom of the visor - to keep your face warm Smile
I removed the foam seal, and then the misting stopped as there was now airflow, but the plastic lugs upon which the seal was mounted dug into my cheeks a bit. I took an angle grinder ( you could use a Dremmel, but where's the fun in that ?) and removed these, and now they're just dandy.
1 small flaw is that my glasses are photo-chromatic, so when I start going quickly enough to merit engaging the visor, for a few seconds it's double-dark.
snow report
I'm approaching the need to wear glasses all the time, but is it safe to wear your normal metal rimmed glasses under goggles? I had a fall a couple of years ago and cracked my goggles, a bit scary to think my glasses might have broken and caused eye damage.
ski holidays
@planeurge, I wear glasses and had the same dilemma - I bought the Bolle Backline Visor in Jan and used it over a week in la plagne - it was superb. There was one other guy in our group with same helmet by coincidence and he also thought it absolutely superb.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy