Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-Technique Hints and Tips

Poster: A snowHead
@Hurtle, yeah... I think the uphills and downhills want swapping, otherwise it’s a fine technique that I never remember to use.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hurtle, sorry you are right I've given my whole thing the opposite way round to what I meant.

I've edited it so it's not complete rubbish.

dp wrote:

1) Stand downhill of your skis
2) Take your downhill leg around the front of your uphill leg and clip into the downhill ski
3) Take your uphill leg around the back of your (now clipped in) downhill leg and clip into the uphill ski
Job done
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dp, Laughing

@Scarlet, I did use this technique the other week, and rob@rar showed me a further tip, which was to place the uphill ski not too close to the downhill one: it makes it easier to get your boot in at the correct angle while still standing firmly on the downhill ski and less likely for your uphill ski to dislodge that downhill platform.

But this thread is supposed to be about non-technique tips...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moosepig wrote:
I use Dryzones in my boots overnight if there are no heaters, and for long term storage. Never had a problem.

I use them too. The good thing is they’re reusable/rechargeable. Put on a radiator they dry out and are as good as new.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Access cheap ski lessons for children. All you need is to purchase an ESF bib then get them to attach themselves to a suitable ski school snake as it goes past. They have so many they wont notice one more.

Take photos of your rental skis and note down any id number before you toddle off for lunch then forget exactly which make and model they are or quite which rack you put them on amongst all the other rental skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DrLawn wrote:
You get a free bottle of drinking water with a Telegraph at most airports.

So you can always top your boots up a bit if they get too dry.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ster wrote:
Take photos of your rental skis and note down any id number before you toddle off for lunch then forget exactly which make and model they are or quite which rack you put them on amongst all the other rental skis.

My advice to a family recently was to invest in a roll of hi-vis colour gaffa tape ( http://www.gaffatape.com/Fluorescent-Economy-Matt-Gaffer-Tape-50m/Default.aspx )

Pick your colour... 6 inch strip of that down the front of each of the family's skis takes out any risk of getting them confused for somebody else's and makes them really easy to find in the ski rack. And makes it very unlikely that anyone else will take yours by accident.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When struggling to get up in deep powder use crossed poles as a platform to push up off.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Skis get carried on the shoulders, tips down, toe binding resting on shoulder and so that when the carrier carelessly swings around to yell at errant husband, wife, offspring or drunken buddies, they don’t smack me in the face.

Oh, and the carrier then looks a little more as though they know what they are doing...

They should teach some basics like this on the first lesson(s). I was skiing with some French skiers last week, quite advanced, but it was like that YouTube video on how to carry skis - most were doing the bazooka.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are never enough hooks in cheap French ski accommodation, so I take a couple of overdoor coat hooks as well.

Probably not even worth a tip, but 2 tubes of sunscreen, one for the bathroom so the othercan stay in my pocket.

Also in my pockets,

Travel insurance policy details (policy number and contact phone number) on a sticker on the e111 card.

A credit card with as much credit as I can get on it in case of massive medical / evac bill
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sarge McSarge, ...and if helping anyone up from a ‘skis still on’ fall, don’t try and lift them up directly - since you can be grabbed by said person and toppled yourself, or they put no effort into getting up and give you a hernia. Rather, stand below and to the back of their skis, jab one of your poles vertically in the snow just below them at their ski mid-point, tightly hold the pole - then they can grab the pole and haul themselves up. And if they screw it all up, you can step back without getting tangled up and pulled down.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Themasterpiece, hmm ... still been whacked around the head by people doing this

I prefer to carry skis by linking them, ensuring lower brake is faced forward, then holding them vertically tucked against shoulder, hand holding heel binding. Much better in queues.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1. Take twice as much cash as you think you will need.

2. Make sure your wife has the best, most comfortable gear you can afford. A happy wife is the best way to ensure enthusiasm for the next trip.

3. I have used this technique and it works a treat:
http://youtube.com/v/Amtkt2J0cKI
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hopefully you'll never need this one, but when you do, you need it quicky and easily.

Put the resort emergency contact number in your phone with a # in front of it.

This way when you need it, it's to hand and right at the top of your contact list. No scrolling, fumbling or trying to remember what you called the entry when you are probably a bit stressed already.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Change the message on the lock screen on your phone with ICE contact details
ski holidays
Do not go snowboarding 6 days after a big crash which knocked you out and cracked 3 ribs, as it still smarts a lot when you land small jumps or bend over to do up your bindings.
It also puts your recovery back a bit. Confused
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Disaster wrote:
Forget the night life. Get smashed at apres ski and be in bed for 9pm. Have no problems being on the slopes by 10pm the next day! (god I feel old now)

10pm Laughing

agh, I meant 10 am!!!

I did do a night so heavy that i woke up at 7 o'clock the next day in pitch black, it took a good few minutes to work out it was 7pm. Been taking it easier ever since.
latest report
If you have an early* transfer from resort, save time and just go straight from slope to club to bus. Only go to your room to collect bags. Get changed on the coach. Or just fall asleep. Bonus points if still wearing ski boots.**

*4am type early

** Have done this, but not for many years!
snow conditions
Putting on cold damp gloves often results in cold hands. So keep your gloves warm when you stop for coffee/food by sticking them inside your jacket (if not taking it off) or tucked into the waistband of your salopetes.
snow report
Cheap way of boot drying / smell removal / moisture management is def teabags . . .works in all footwear especially good for synthetic football boots . . .

Decent handluggage to put your boots in . . .if you wear it as backpack no one will ever check the weight and you can load it up with as much gear as possible, so worst case if your hold bags are delayed on arrival you've got enough essential kit to enjoy your trip . . .

Comfortable socks . . .my Aldi Merino/Silks have been going strong for a few seasons now - no blisters, never get get cold or sweaty feet

Ditto Gloves . . .never skimp by buying cheap gloves (saying that Aldi socks ARE cheap!)

@ulmerhutte, I like the sentiment but even after following this advice it seems it doesn't always work . . .a credit card and a hotel / chalet with significant spa treatment facilities and a good looking barman works better . . .

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 16-02-18 10:19; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Sarge McSarge wrote:
When struggling to get up in deep powder use crossed poles as a platform to push up off.

Seconded, shown this on catskiing day.
snow report
Disaster wrote:
Forget the night life. Get smashed at apres ski and be in bed for 9pm. Have no problems being on the slopes by 10pm the next day! (god I feel old now)

I have come to that conclusion over the last three years, and I'm only 29! It's just way better. Get up for first lift, early lunch to avoid to queues, hit the apres at 3pm, stumble/slide back to the chalet, have dinner while not really sure what is going on, pass out and do it all again the next day!
ski holidays
jonm wrote:
What's wrong with boot dryers or a heated boot room? All the above sounds like very unnecessary faffing Puzzled

I was told by my boot fitter not to use the heated drying room boot stands as it could unmould the boot liner from your foot shape. They are heat moulded lines after all.

I use silica gel bags too and it works really well.
latest report
endoman wrote:
Sarge McSarge wrote:

Seconded, shown this on catskiing day.

If that doesn't work in really deep powder, you need to build yourself a platform by gathering snow and compressing it, which should give you something to push off. I've used this technique, and often seen boarders do it as they don't have the advantage of poles.
latest report
Quote:

could unmould the boot liner

could and would are different things. Unless defective they should not be getting hot enough to unmould anything.
ski holidays
Just a personal thing that works for me.

I dropped the mid-layer a few years ago, and have never gone back. Even on -15 days, I just wear 2 layers of merino base layers on my upper body and my shell jacket. No more foggy googles, and warm all day - minus the hassle of the midlayer. If you run "hot" like I do, it was huge improvement for me. (Of course ski pants are being used Happy ).

Other tip was using glove liners.
ski holidays
Also, whats all this talk of tea bags and silca gel?

Simply remove your liners at the end of the day. It takes 3 secs to do, and they are bone dry in the morning. Easy.
snow report
@Lilledonmarco, or don't bother doing any of it. my boots are always dry
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lilledonmarco, takes me a lot longer than 3 seconds!
snow report
Bennisboy wrote:
@Lilledonmarco, takes me a lot longer than 3 seconds!

Getting my liners back in is a nightmare!
snow report
@Whagwan, clearly some are more skilled than us Laughing
snow conditions
Probably obvious but I always ski with a bottle of water in the back pack. Saves on buying two drinks (one to neck and a beer) when making a quick drinks break!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 16-02-18 13:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Lilledonmarco wrote:

Simply remove your liners at the end of the day. It takes 3 secs to do, and they are bone dry in the morning. Easy.

Depends greatly on your liners, and boots. If my liners 'fell out' that easily I'd be concerned about the fit.
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
Lilledonmarco wrote:

Depends greatly on your liners, and boots. If my liners 'fell out' that easily I'd be concerned about the fit.

Hardly falling out.

Even on a random clip found on youtoooobe, it took him 3 secs:

http://youtube.com/v/aE6koyDPy0k?t=14

We are a ski racing family, so I know a thing or 2 about boots, and how important for kids it is to keep them dry.
ski holidays
@Lilledonmarco, my liners (SIDAS foamed race with footbeds) in Salomon 130 race boots are a right royal pain to pull out.
snow report
For me, pulling the liners out is a struggle, putting them back in again is impossible.
latest report
@Hurtle, me too.

But then I never need to remove them because I simply dry my boots using boot dryers/a heated boot room.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 16-02-18 14:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@jonm, I use my own boot dryers, boot room facilities tend to be a bit random.
ski holidays
@Lilledonmarco, Be fair, race boots are easier to remove the liners than typical recreational ones. Adult race boots with lace up liners obviously get the liners taken out every day.
ski holidays
Learn to snowboard - that way when you tear a calf muscle skiing you'll still have something to do while you heal.

Broken legs can be skied through if you don't know they are broken so only go to the clinic if it REALLY hurts.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 16-02-18 15:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy